Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 Toro 60” has served me well but it’s time to upgrade, this thing can’t run forever & the rough ride is killing me. Looking for another 60” commercial & I’m kind of partial to Deere. Definitely want the nice seat & the tweels, & as much gas motor as possible. Open to any & all advice. EFI vs carb, front suspension, etc... I mow about 20 acres but have to stick w/60” for pond levees, ditches, trails, etc.. Tell me the must haves & don’t do’s. Just mowing, no mulching or striping. Thanks

·
Administrator
20,905 Posts
Deere makes a sweet Z.... but I don’t own one anymore. I wish they didn’t beat a fella up when mowing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mowing 20 acres... you need a z997r if you stick with a zero turn. fuel consumption will pay for itself over the years.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
It will really come down to budget. I have a Z950R but it is thirsty. You mentioned as much HP possible on a 60" deck. The only reason I went with the 27.5HP Kawasaki with my 60" was because I run the collection system in the fall and spring. That saps about 2HP. If I was just mowing I would go down a size. The Z950M/R will run the 60 or 72" deck. Unless you have lots of hills or are mowing 6" deep grass to 2" more HP really won't matter that much. If you are, go diesel.

EFI will most likely help out on fuel consumption.

As for tweels. Those that have them love them but I am on the fence. I can't run them as they are not recommended for people like me running the MCS. They have a max load of 750# if I recall and with the collection system full I would blow past that. I have also seen a couple posts of people with broken spokes. Not widespread but something to keep an eye on. If you break a wheel they are expensive. My thought is there is a time and place for Tweels. That would be someone mowing commercially in areas where there may be stuff that would puncture a tire. A flat tire for a commercial mowing company is costing them money. If you are mowing residential, unless you had lots of thorns or something popping tires, I don't think they offer enough benefit to warrant the cost. That is my opinion though.

I don't have front suspension so I can't speak to that much.

Reactions: mark02tj

·
Registered
379 Posts
For 20 acres I would want a good size cab tractor with as big a finish mower as I could get. I can't imagine doing that much grass with a 60" deck.

I used a Craftsman zero turn for a couple of years and it beat me to death and threw dirt all over me. I also didn't like having both hands required to maneuver the thing. Never tried a high dollar Deere with suspension.

I do most of my mowing with a 31HP tractor and a 72" finish mower now. I have a F725 with a 54" deck I mounted a suspension seat on and it's okay but not near as comfortable as the tractor. I can get almost everywhere with the tractor that I can with the mower but it requires a little more care in the tight spots. I do like my canopy and power steering.

·
Administrator
20,905 Posts
A high dollar Deere with suspension doesn’t exist. Deere quite simply doesn’t make a Z with FULL suspension. They only offer a suspension seat and flex front forks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 3038E w/a 72” finish mower but much prefer mowing w/a zero. 15 of the acres I mow is my own & is uneven terrain that limits me to 60”, the other 5 is paying jobs that also limit me to 60”. The 2 paying jobs easily justify me having a nice mower & the note that comes w/such. I’m leaning towards the 960M. Any thoughts on it?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,841 Posts
La77chevy, Can you get a demo unit for a day or so?

·
Registered
23,079 Posts
My 07 Toro 60” has served me well but it’s time to upgrade, this thing can’t run forever & the rough ride is killing me. Looking for another 60” commercial & I’m kind of partial to Deere. Definitely want the nice seat & the tweels, & as much gas motor as possible. Open to any & all advice. EFI vs carb, front suspension, etc... I mow about 20 acres but have to stick w/60” for pond levees, ditches, trails, etc.. Tell me the must haves & don’t do’s. Just mowing, no mulching or striping. Thanks
If you think a new zero turn is going to ride better....I doubt it.

·
Administrator
20,905 Posts

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
If you think a new zero turn is going to ride better....I doubt it.
The suspension systems on a lot of the new zero turns is pretty amazing. I think that Ferris (owned by Briggs & Stratton) started it all with their 4 wheel suspension. I have a Simplicity (also owned by B&S) Courier 48" that also has 4 wheel suspension. Some of Snapper's (also B&S) higher end models have it as well. My Courier also has a mesh seat that has a lot of "spring" in it. My yard is not super rough, but it's a far cry from being golf-course smooth. The Courier doesn't beat me up at all. I don't mow at full speed, but I will cruise around the yard at full speed from time to time. It's a pretty decent ride.

Toro also has something called "My Ride" suspension. The entire seating structure is suspended on springs. I sat on one at a dealership before I bought my Courier (used from CraigsList) and it's really comfortable. On YouTube, "Outdoors With The Morgans" has a pretty good review on a Toro with that system. He and his wife really liked the ride on it.

Back in '84/'85, I worked for a Wheel Horse dealer. That was when WH first introduced their zero turn. Talk about a ROUGH ride!! And I was young and flexible then! The old Dixons were a pretty rough ride as well.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I have a 3038E w/a 72” finish mower but much prefer mowing w/a zero. 15 of the acres I mow is my own & is uneven terrain that limits me to 60”, the other 5 is paying jobs that also limit me to 60”. The 2 paying jobs easily justify me having a nice mower & the note that comes w/such. I’m leaning towards the 960M. Any thoughts on it?
I was just looking at models and noticed something strange. The Z950M only supports a 52" or 60" deck but if you go with the Z950R you can get a 60 or 72" deck. :dunno: Engine is the same the only difference performance wise is a higher ground speed on the R which would make me think the opposite would be the case when looking at deck size.

Anyhow, you are limited to a 60" deck. I would probably look at the Z955M EFI over the Z960M. It is $50 more on MSRP but you will save that in a couple weeks of mowing. Cost doesn't seem to be an issue and unless you wanted to go with the 72" deck (you said you can't) or were running a MCS which you haven't indicated is the case, then I don't see the point of a Z960M over a Z950M or better yet the Z955M EFI. I guess the only reason to avoid the Z955M EFI is if you had to have a Kawasaki. I forget who makes the EFI Kohler maybe? If you had to have a Kawasaki I would look at the Z950M. I just don't see a huge advantage for the 960M with what you have described unless you have stock in the local gas company. You are going to be burning more fuel with little to show for it. You won't be able to cut any faster and it won't be any smoother. It will just mean less profit margin.

What is the terrain like? If you are running a lot of hills then the R series has some advantage in cross porting between the drives. This helps cool them a bit better than the B/E/M versions. There are some other differences as well such as the higher ground speed (12MPH up from 10MPH), control stick mounted hydraulic deck lift (pros and cons to this) and PTO kill button, foot parking brake (can be harder to operate), more ergonomic control sticks (I guess). I went with the R for the hydraulic deck lift and cross porting myself.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Well in my defense the OP did say he wanted a Deere zero turn.
:laugh:

No need to defend yourself, Stan. You're among friends here!! :good2:

But, you are right - he did say he wanted a Deere. While I'm sure that Deere makes a great zero turn, I would advise the OP to not limit himself to Deere. There are a lot of GREAT options out there. Interestingly, both Deere dealers around here are also Ferris dealers. One of the local Kubota dealers also sells Ferris and Simplicity (among other brands).

I've mentioned my farmer neighbors (brothers) across the road before. They bleed green to the point of having a JD flag flying right below the Stars & Stripes on both of their flag poles. To the best of my knowledge, all of their farm equipment is green. BUT, they both own Ferris' to mow their lawns.

In my case, buying a Simplicity, it was a matter of budget. I read a lot of reviews on Simplicity and most of them were good. It seemed like if you didn't have problems right from the dealer, you were good to go. I was able to find a 3 year old machine with (I'm guessing, based on the guy's yard) about 100 hours on it for $1500. It sells new for $3600. I did have to drive about 70 miles into northern KY to get it, but it was a nice trip on a Saturday morning. The funny thing is that Sweetie now jokes that I haven't mowed the grass so often since we moved into this place 8.5 years ago! :laugh:

Sully bought an ExMark. In his case, I think that he looked at what most of the commercial crews were using as a base for his decision and then researched it from there. I think that his friend was also an ExMark dealer. I think that Sully bleeds green as much as the rest of us do, but he didn't limit himself to a JD zero turn. I think that's good advice for the OP as well.

In all fairness, those guys here that do have JD zero turns seem to be very happy with them. :good2:

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
:laugh:

No need to defend yourself, Stan. You're among friends here!! :good2:

But, you are right - he did say he wanted a Deere. While I'm sure that Deere makes a great zero turn, I would advise the OP to not limit himself to Deere. There are a lot of GREAT options out there. Interestingly, both Deere dealers around here are also Ferris dealers. One of the local Kubota dealers also sells Ferris and Simplicity (among other brands).

I've mentioned my farmer neighbors (brothers) across the road before. They bleed green to the point of having a JD flag flying right below the Stars & Stripes on both of their flag poles. To the best of my knowledge, all of their farm equipment is green. BUT, they both own Ferris' to mow their lawns.

In my case, buying a Simplicity, it was a matter of budget. I read a lot of reviews on Simplicity and most of them were good. It seemed like if you didn't have problems right from the dealer, you were good to go. I was able to find a 3 year old machine with (I'm guessing, based on the guy's yard) about 100 hours on it for $1500. It sells new for $3600. I did have to drive about 70 miles into northern KY to get it, but it was a nice trip on a Saturday morning. The funny thing is that Sweetie now jokes that I haven't mowed the grass so often since we moved into this place 8.5 years ago! :laugh:

Sully bought an ExMark. In his case, I think that he looked at what most of the commercial crews were using as a base for his decision and then researched it from there. I think that his friend was also an ExMark dealer. I think that Sully bleeds green as much as the rest of us do, but he didn't limit himself to a JD zero turn. I think that's good advice for the OP as well.

In all fairness, those guys here that do have JD zero turns seem to be very happy with them. :good2:
From what I have read Ferris is the one to get if you are mowing rough terrain. I see a lot of commercial crews around here running ExMark as well. Sometimes what the commercial guys run are directly tied to what incentives that they have. I don't do commercial mowing so I don't look at it from that perspective. For me it was convenience of a dealer network. I like John Deere but the biggest of all was the 0% financing for 60mo. There isn't much for Ferris dealers close by (there is a JD in the town I work in that I pass by twice a day and one two miles from my house). ExMark was in the area but no 0% option. I looked at a few others but stuck with John Deere.

·
Administrator
20,905 Posts
If anyone is nearby, they are welcome to tryout my Ferris is3200z. :good2:

·
Registered
2,504 Posts

Great offer. I can't get any of the dealers around here to demo a Ferris at my place. Scag, Kubota and Deere all left me mowers for a couple days....Deere left a 997 for nearly 3 weeks. I bought a Kubota because it was the best bang for the buck but still wonder about that Ferris. I even signed up on the Ferris corp page for a demo and never heard a word other than confirmation e-mail.

·
Premium Member
9,804 Posts

Sweet.

Bring it up and we'll give it a try on some real hills, and ponds, and what not.

Pretty sure the Gator can pull it out of wherever we get it stuck.

If not, I have a tractor.

·
Administrator
20,905 Posts
Bring it up and we'll give it a try on some real hills, and ponds, and what not.
This guy holds hills so much better than the Deere ever did, hands down man. It’s crazy how much better. And it doesn’t get stuck so easy since it tends to keep both rear wheels on the ground. I know you’d be impressed as well. :good2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Really appreciate all the input guys. I’m a bit of a “green bleeder” but I have considered & priced others. My current Toro 60” has a 25hp Kawa w/a fairly recent rebuild & I often find it bogging so I’m pretty set on as large of a motor as available, w/out spending the insane money on a diesel unit. I’ve got a few friends that mow commercially that have switched over to JD w/no regrets & now swear by them. I’m not expecting a Cadillac, but between the fancy seat & the tweels, I expect a new JD to be leaps & bounds ahead of my old wore out Toro. The 0/48 makes it even harder to sway my loyalty

1 - 20 of 27 Posts