Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a John Deere 4600 Tractor with the 460 FEL. I need a third set of hydraulics for a grapple bucket. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this.

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
Welcome to DT Doc.

I suggest you check www.jdparts.com for the kit number for your loader. If the kit is still available, it will be cheaper than piecing it together. Kits are considered whole goods by Deere, and as such are sold through sales, not parts.

·
Administrator
17,319 Posts
Welcome to DT!

You have three basic options:

1) The Third SCV kit from JD (Like Matt-MJNCAD suggested) and running long 1/4" hoses from the rear. This would probably be the cheapest option at about $250-$300.

2) A "diverter" setup where you divert the dump/curl circuit to power the grapple when a momentary switch is pressed. This is the same setup I currently have-and I put it together myself.

3) A "True 3rd Function", where the main hydraulic lines (called Power Beyond) are plumbed through a electric solenoid valve to give independent control of the grapple.

There is a company called WR Long: http://www.wrlonginc.com/valve_kits.htm that will sell both the later options as a "kit" so you don't have to source all the parts yourself, that can be a real PITA if you have no experience with hydraulics and what all the different fittings are called.

Pick one option you like and we will discuss it in greater detail.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kenny,

Thanks for your help, When I check with my local dealer, I was told that there was no kit available and that I would just have to run hoses from the back of my tractor. Perhaps you can give me some guidance as to the way you outfitted yours. I would like to be able to use my loader joystick to run the grapple as well. I have looked into a Fasse valve. They offer a kit to do exactly what I am wanting to do but it is $650.00. I am not oppesed to going this route, I just thought I could do it cheaper. give me your thoughts

Dave

·
Administrator
17,319 Posts
Dave, The Fasse kit is not unlike the kit from WR Long that I pointed you towards earlier. The simple fact is anything to do with hydraulics is expensive-except O-rings and my advice:lol:. The WR Long kit sells for about the same as the Fasse.

You can save some $$$ putting a kit together yourself, but not much. A few wrong fitting orders because you unsure of them and you've blown all your savings in shipping cost's. Then there is the time...and having to source parts from different vendors...and so on...

I used a "diverter" valve, it was $150 or so at the time just for the valve. Add in hoses, fittings and QD's for another $200 or so.
Then I bought a custom joystick handle to control it and also added a horn for about $220, had to turn my own custom adapter on my lathe also. Then add in relay's, wire, fuses...another $50 or so.

So you can see, not even counting my time including all the research I would have been better off with a kit. But, it was what I wanted to do-and it taught me LOTS about hydraulics, and I have a whole box of part$ in the basement that I will probably never use to remind me of all the mistakes I made along the way. I am not tying to discourage you, I just want you to know everything up front.

What grapple did you buy?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ken, I am going to order the "kit" tomorrow. As far as the Grapple, I ordered a 60" Grapple and a set of pallet forks from Wildcat Attachments.

·
Administrator
17,319 Posts
Nice! Please post some pictures...did you get the JDQA from them or do you have the SSQA on your machine?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered both with the JD QA. No extra charge. "Connie" is the lady that I talked with. Very helpful.

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
Doc:

Kenny is the resident hydraulics guru and has given you good advice. I'll add the following comments.

When the dealer said no kit was available. Did he check his stock only, or did he search nationwide? Dealers can search other dealers stock.

Instead of a Faase brand valve, this one from Surplus Center will do the same thing for far less money. http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-5117&catname=hydraulic

·
Administrator
17,319 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
Just calling it as I see it when it comes to your hydraulics knowledge Kenny. You make a valid point about the Faase and Long products being kits; but I wanted to give the OP an alternative as electrical switches are cheap. But as you rightfully point out...fittings and hoses aren't.

·
Registered
10 Posts
4600 Hydraulic options

I am new to this forum so forgive me if this has been covered before ...

On my 4600 JD I am looking to add a 3rd function for a grapple function on my front end loader... Also I would like to add a diverter system in tandem with my bucket controls to allow me to switch control to allow fine adjustment of pitch and tilt hydraulic functions at the rear. Sadly I'm not getting much help from my local JD dealers other than wanting to sell me a new tractor.

In looking at various sites on the internet I see that there are many options available but as in most things the devil is in the details and most don't include that. So having never worked with modifying hydraulics before I'm at a disadvantage.

So my questions:
I'm assuming this is mostly a matter of getting the correct components and proper placement when mounting. Or am I missing something?
Is there something available somewhere that details how to do it on my 4600?
Anyone here do it on their 4600?
Thanks

Jim

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I am new to this forum so forgive me if this has been covered before ...

On my 4600 JD I am looking to add a 3rd function for a grapple function on my front end loader... Also I would like to add a diverter system in tandem with my bucket controls to allow me to switch control to allow fine adjustment of pitch and tilt hydraulic functions at the rear. Sadly I'm not getting much help from my local JD dealers other than wanting to sell me a new tractor.

In looking at various sites on the internet I see that there are many options available but as in most things the devil is in the details and most don't include that. So having never worked with modifying hydraulics before I'm at a disadvantage.

So my questions:
I'm assuming this is mostly a matter of getting the correct components and proper placement when mounting. Or am I missing something?
Is there something available somewhere that details how to do it on my 4600?
Anyone here do it on their 4600?
Thanks

Jim
Have you contacted Fit Rite Hydraulics about the Pitch & Tilt you want for the rear? They are a supporting vendor on here. Not sure you can plumb that into the third function. It may be it's own system with it's own lever, but talk to Fit Rite since this is what they do. Fit Rite Hydraulics - fitritehydraulics.com

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check this site out.

Valve Kits

I'll be happy to answer any specific questions you have.
Thanks!
Since information on how to do for my 4600 is scarce.

Where do I connect the 3rd function into?
Can I get steel "hoses" to run down the length of the FEL?
Where can I get them?
Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you contacted Fit Rite Hydraulics about the Pitch & Tilt you want for the rear? They are a supporting vendor on here. Not sure you can plumb that into the third function. It may be it's own system with it's own lever, but talk to Fit Rite since this is what they do. Fit Rite Hydraulics - fitritehydraulics.com
I found that website Sunday and contacted him via his web site but he seems to be a busy guy so I await his reply.
I am anticipating and preferring having additional controls to do there functions like we see on the previous posts in this message.

I am a bit frustrated that the dealer isn't more helpful but they make their money selling tractors not 3rd party options so...

Thanks for your help...!
Jim

·
Administrator
17,319 Posts
Welcome to DT Doc.

I suggest you check www.jdparts.com for the kit number for your loader. If the kit is still available, it will be cheaper than piecing it together. Kits are considered whole goods by Deere, and as such are sold through sales, not parts.
The kit for this appear to still be available, #LVBM18820 : John Deere Selective Control Valve LVBM18820

0001615049____________A1.jpg

As I mentioned above in that old post you can run long hoses from the rear, This option will be about half the cost of any other option for the grapple control. For the rear, you getting into some big $$$ to add a TnT system, JD used to sell a 4th and 5th SCV kit but I don't see the number for it now, one may turn up on eBay sometime, then you'll still need the cylinders.

Brian, although very busy could build a custom 3-valve setup, or you can attempt yourself if your a decent wrench turner. There are many threads on adding rear remote setups here and on TBN, most tractors are very similar in this regard so don't limit your searches to just the 4600 you have.

What budget do you envision for everything?

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
JimFX:

According to Kenny, the 3rd function kit is still available. If so, snap it up ASAP even if the dealer has to have it shipped in to his store. While you're at it, check to see if the 4th & 5th SCV, and Power Beyond kits are still available, and if so...grab them too! Yeah, I'm spending your money; but supposedly I got the last or next to last 4th & 5th SCV for my 4200 some years back that came from Westminster, Maryland.

I put my kits in myself. I just took my time, followed the instructions and bought lots of crowfoot wrenches.

Before Google killed off their Picasa web albums, I had one on my hydraulic kits' installations. In theory, it still exists here.

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/110106108324823291002/album/AF1QipNOwQn4QpWDKHE-2h5FSN1wubR0FV7CeIqtp2RN

1 - 20 of 36 Posts