Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
20,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was mowing the grass with the ol' 2720 about 10:30 this morning. There was still some dew on the grass in the shady areas. Didn't think much of it. I just did my thing as I have many times in the past. Well in backyard there is a fairly steep slope that I have to sidehill to cut it. There I was, done this a bunch of times. All of a sudden the left rear tire got light. A little wet grass and a fresh mole hole caused the tractor to start to roll to my right!

A hour later, actually only a split second later I realized nothing had happened. I didn't roll. The tractor was fine, my ROPS was up, my seat belt was on. I was prepared. I'm glad I was. I don't think the tire actually left the ground, but I'm not sure. I let off the forward pedal immediately as my butt instantly grabbed the seat. That may have stabilized the tractor. I was able to continue on a few seconds later without a scratch.

I guess why I'm sharing this with you for a few things.

1. Don't get complacent. The one time you don't use your ROPS and seatbelt when you should, it may be a very bad day. Just because you've done the same thing a hundred times before, doesn't mean something won't happen today.

2. ROPS up, seatbelt on. ROPS down, seatbelt off. The theory behind this is simple. If the ROPS is up and you roll, the belt will hold you in the tractor and hopefully prevent major injury. If you decide to leave your ROPS down and you roll, you may have a small chance of jumping clear of a super heavy weight trying to crush you if your belt is off.

3. It CAN happen to you.

I finished cutting the grass without incident. :lol: I don't think anybody saw me panic for that split second. :laugh::thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I got sideways on a hill today which I normally go up and down on, the tractor slid down the hill sideways about 10 feet. Scared the snot out of me.

·
Administrator
20,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got sideways on a hill today which I normally go up and down on, the tractor slid down the hill sideways about 10 feet. Scared the snot out of me.
Bet you won't do that again!

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I have a couple of smaller areas of my pastures that doesn't get mowed. Pretty rocky for one thing, and very sloped for the other thing. It doesn't look too bad, when you are walking the pasture, but get on the tractor, and they can feel like a 45* slope. No matter ROPS up or down, I just leave them. Might take a few days before anyone thought to come looking for me, so if I ended up injured, or in the water, (they are near enough to the stock tank), it would be ugly. Not worth the risk, IMO. But I have found areas that I have mowed before that sometimes feel unsafe. I usually think I am just being silly, but your post shows, not all conditions are the same. Thanks for sharing, dieselshadow!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,056 Posts
Over the years I have had countless circumstances such as what dieselshadow wrote, every one turned out ok, fortunately. Simply driving over a good size stone/rock with one rear tire and a bucket full of dirt can make for a bad experience, I did it again the other day. Wake-up calls are good if they end well, some don't. Being overconfident never works out well.

Good thread.:good2:

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Still getting used to my tractor I was nervous mowing the hill in our backyard for the first time. Probably shouldn't have done it while it was wet I'll admit. Going across the slope in one area the front tires slid. I stop and put the tractor in w wheel drive to make sure. Got to the end and switched it back to 2 wheel drive, but also got off and put the ROPS up. Got back on and hooked the seat belt. When I got into the same area again, stopped and switched into 4 wheel drive again.

I had a cousin killed in a tractor accident many years ago. They demand respect, even the little SCUT and CUT ones.

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
I was mowing the grass with the ol' 2720 about 10:30 this morning. There was still some dew on the grass in the shady areas. Didn't think much of it. I just did my thing as I have many times in the past. Well in backyard there is a fairly steep slope that I have to sidehill to cut it. There I was, done this a bunch of times. All of a sudden the left rear tire got light. A little wet grass and a fresh mole hole caused the tractor to start to roll to my right!

A hour later, actually only a split second later I realized nothing had happened. I didn't roll. The tractor was fine, my ROPS was up, my seat belt was on. I was prepared. I'm glad I was. I don't think the tire actually left the ground, but I'm not sure. I let off the forward pedal immediately as my butt instantly grabbed the seat. That may have stabilized the tractor. I was able to continue on a few seconds later without a scratch.

I guess why I'm sharing this with you for a few things.

1. Don't get complacent. The one time you don't use your ROPS and seatbelt when you should, it may be a very bad day. Just because you've done the same thing a hundred times before, doesn't mean something won't happen today.

2. ROPS up, seatbelt on. ROPS down, seatbelt off. The theory behind this is simple. If the ROPS is up and you roll, the belt will hold you in the tractor and hopefully prevent major injury. If you decide to leave your ROPS down and you roll, you may have a small chance of jumping clear of a super heavy weight trying to crush you if your belt is off.

3. It CAN happen to you.

I finished cutting the grass without incident. :lol: I don't think anybody saw me panic for that split second. :laugh::thumbup1gif:
Jason:

Happy you are OK and didn't roll. You proved the point that I was trying to make in a post a couple weeks ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts