Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running our Bush Hog bat wing today and felt a bump that wasn't just rough ground. When I looked back, the front part of the right wing hinge had dropped down about 2". It's a 1" diameter rod which before we bought the mower had evidently been broken and instead of replacing that pin, they had welded it.

Now the pin is either spatter welded or rust welded into the other part of the hinge. It should be about a foot long but there are two 6" pieces, both stuck. If worst comes to worst, we'll cut the hinges off and either make new ones and weld back or possibly can get the pins out once there's room to work.

I can't really complain too much. We bought the mower used about 10 years ago and aside from rebuilding lift cylinders, this is the first real repair. I can't say I'm really looking forward to it, though.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
:munch:

·
Premium Member
7,834 Posts
Welded repairs never make it easy for the next guy. But a lot of times they are repairs of last resort and next time it breaks you either weld again or scrap.

Good Luck in repairing :bigthumb:

:ttiwwp:

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still working on it

Welded repairs never make it easy for the next guy. But a lot of times they are repairs of last resort and next time it breaks you either weld again or scrap.

Good Luck in repairing :bigthumb:

:ttiwwp:
Yep, someone else took the quick way and it lasted several years so I guess it was good enough for them.

The pin is still stuck but it's been getting periodically soaked with penetrating oil, PB etc. daily. Today, I think it may have moved very, very slightly when I was hitting on it with a punch. I wasn't whaling it, just a good hard tap, tap, tap to try to help the oil move and it seemed to move the pin a couple of thousandths. If so, it will eventually come out. If it doesn't come out, I think we will be down to cutting that section of the hinge off, making new pieces and welding things back up. That's what would be much quicker anyway if we had a plasma cutter and a welder but alas, neither are on hand. The local welders have died which was too bad. One of them was a real artist and I wouldn't have thought twice about hauling it to him with the simple instruction of "Fix it." It would have come back as good as or better than new with a fresh coat of primer on the affected area.

Oh well, it will get fixed one way or the other. My "real" job has interfered with spending much time on it.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
7,834 Posts
Maybe drill a hole in the tube part of the hinge for another place to add penetrating oil :dunno:

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Might do that

Maybe drill a hole in the tube part of the hinge for another place to add penetrating oil :dunno:
Yeah, that's on the list of things to try. It would certainly help get oil in the middle of the pin and I'm tempted to drill and tap it for a grease fitting anyway.

We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Oxy-acetylene torch... like Colt 45, works every time

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's off

After soaking with various oils, heating with MAPP and beating on it, today I gave up and used the reciprocating saw to cut on part of the hinge off. Once it was off, it was clear that the pin was welded into the sleeve so we could have beat on it forever and not gotten it out. It's a 1" diameter pin and the sleeve has what appears to be 1/4" wall. Time to find a replacement.

It only took 2 saw blades to make the cut, not bad although I did part of it with a carbide tipped blade until I ran out of clearance for it. I think one more will need to be cut off but possibly not, depending on whether that had weld in it.

A plasma cutter sure would have been nice but the old way worked.

Treefarmer

Reactions: KennyP and rtgt
1 - 9 of 9 Posts