Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have to say from what I can see such a friendly and helpful site. There is one problem with this site though. It's addicting and makes you want to upgrade your tractor.

This summer I fell from a roof and short story shattered my ankle. It's now been 5 months before they would even let me put any weight on the foot. I'm not back to minimal weight and another 4 months till they figure I can walk. Fingers crossed!

Since we live in WI to help the wife out I got a blade for the front of my X485 which is an 04 with 400 hrs on it. I don't use chains and just have R4 tires on the back with 140lbs of weight. So far all is good but man do I want to upgrade to an X738 to get the 4wd. I have a walk behind blower that is brand new as well that the wife will use. I figure the tractor will be good for the light snows and to push the snow to the side of the driveway. The blower will be used for the heavier snows and to also throw the snow off from the side of the driveway.

I even went as far as getting a quote on a X738 but I didn't care for the trade in price and don't want the mess of selling out right. My tractor has been perfect the 10 years I have had it and only thing replaced was the fuel pump since I was anal the gas gauge wasn't working. $600 later I now have a working gas gauge.

I keep drooling over a 1025R which I have no use for. I only cut grass on 1.5 acres and now push snow.

Anyway just wanted to say nice site and thanks for all the help so far with the questions I have had in other posts.

Brian

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
We are very glad you decided to join in on the fun. Even if you don't upgrade, we are more than willing to help you dream in green fantasy land.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,809 Posts
Nice post 04x485, Thanks.
You need to be careful on here. Members here will spend your money before you know what's goin on. My list is long. :lol:

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Brian,

If you want the 1025r get.....I'm one of those Gizmo warned you about

Seriously though, there likely ins't much price difference between the x7 and 1 Series unless you add a loader which is well worth it. If you even contemplating a change talk to multiple dealers as prices can vary widely between dealers.

·
Registered
357 Posts
One thing to consider if you do purchase a new tractor is what you are going through now. Private party or trade in value and ease or desire of the tractor if you want to sell that in another 10 years.

·
Administrator
20,869 Posts
:wgtt:

I'm sure we can help you justify buying another tractor. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Heck I only mow an acre with my 1026R. It does lots of other things I had to do with my Polaris Scrambler and 318 before. The loader isn't just for digging. It's like a fancy wheel barrow one day and then the next it's a work bench. With Artillian forks anyway. :hornets:

Photo is of the 1026R in "workbench" mode. I was on a break, don't judge. :lol:

Attachments

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Oh, some of us a VERY good at spending other people's money!! :thumbup1gif:

Reactions: Levi

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I mow maybe 1.5 acres of my 5. Take just about any landscape project - with a loader, cut the time to complete down by 80%. Moving spreading dirt, gravel, mulch etc. Simple.

Have 7 yds of mulch delivered - move it with a wheelbarrow and fork - all weekend......with a loader - 1.5 hrs.

Trees down in the yard? Just chop em up and throw em in the loader.

Ripping out evergreen ground cover - weeks with shovel, saw, etc. One day with the tractor/loader.

Shoot a deer that gets away from the yard? Go get the tractor and load that sucker up.

I went from lawn tractor with a snowblade to a 1025R with a loader, cut my mowing time in half and found countless other uses.

Seriously look at the financing they have available. With 0% interest you're only talking a few dollars to get what you really want. (Although no matter what you get, you'll probably want the next size bigger.....If the 2520 had the quick implement attach/detach like the 1025R did - that's what I would have bought.

·
Premium Member
14,897 Posts
That is a bummer about the ankle , it can take a yr or more . From the sounds of it going to be over a year before you are walking.
I was 4 or 5 ,we lived near Baltimore, MD . Broke my ankle , the bone was sticking out through the skin. Parents took me to John Hopkins,pins they reset the bone , used no screws or pins. I was in a cast from groin to tip of toes for 6mo and then in cast from above the knee to tip of toes.
Climbed telephone poles for about 20 yrs before going to a no climbing job with the phone company.
Cousin of mine fell off his roof and broke the both heels . He was down for little over a year , walking around now ..
Good luck , it will take time

Only own 1 acre, but with BIL, and FIL living close I mow around 3-4 acres. I went from a JD425 to a 2210 w/fel, 2305 fel, 2305 fel.bh , 1026r fel-bh and now 1025r keeping the fel/bh.
We can help you spend your money, sounds like you could use a frt mt snow blower, 54" frt blade & fel. If your lawn is level a 60" mmm w/auto connect if hilly a 54" mmm w/auto connect ( Just my opinion) on mower.

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Brian,

Best of luck on your recovery and getting back to being physically active. I know how much our wives appreciate the green machines when doing any chores around a small residential acreage.

I had a 2004 x495 that I bought used from a local cemetery with rather high hours (2500+) but only gave $1800 for it so did not mind putting tires and a seat on it. Mechanically it was always excellent -- and you gotta love the Yanmar diesel in that model. It came with a limited CAT 1 rated 3-pt to which I added Al Z Welding's excellent load lifter and forks. When we moved recently to much smaller property I down-sized my herd and only have two Deere machines left -- the x495 sold for more than twice what I had in it even after the added part and attachments, so it was one that was let go. Selling a tractor yourself rather than trading it in is a personal decision and depends on your availability, your tolerance for strangers coming onto your property, your geographical location and the demand for used equipment, etc...it is not for everyone for sure.

If you have the space, consider keeping your x485 and just adding to the herd -- I know that my wife appreciated having attachments "at the ready" by jumping off one tractor and onto another. Here are some pictures of the x495 and the 322 tractors as well:
x495 load lifter first use.jpg may 13, 2012 004.JPG one attachment per tractor.jpg terracing and tilling the side yard.jpg deer, Deere and Dear.jpg

Chuck

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
:wgtt:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Brian,

If you want the 1025r get.....I'm one of those Gizmo warned you about

Seriously though, there likely ins't much price difference between the x7 and 1 Series unless you add a loader which is well worth it. If you even contemplating a change talk to multiple dealers as prices can vary widely between dealers.
I worked with two dealers when I bought my 1025r. Exact same tractor, implements and trade in. The dealer I bought from was $4100 cheaper. The dealer I bought from has also been a good partner. Good set up and good service after the purchase.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I hope your ankle heals fully and you get back to normal. I plowed our place for 14 years with a 16 hp Gravely 4wheel 2wd tractor. It's all about chains and weight .

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
Welcome from another member of the Wisconsin clan. I mow about 1.75 acres of grass with my 1025r. Also push snow, if we ever get any. Also till a garden area 75 x 120 with a 50" tiller. Aerate the lawn with it as well. Will be adding a dethatcher, broadcast spreader and maybe a sprayer in the spring. I actually go looking for things to do with my tractor, which has been a benefit to my neighbors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is a bummer about the ankle , it can take a yr or more . From the sounds of it going to be over a year before you are walking.
I was 4 or 5 ,we lived near Baltimore, MD . Broke my ankle , the bone was sticking out through the skin. Parents took me to John Hopkins,pins they reset the bone , used no screws or pins. I was in a cast from groin to tip of toes for 6mo and then in cast from above the knee to tip of toes.
Climbed telephone poles for about 20 yrs before going to a no climbing job with the phone company.
Cousin of mine fell off his roof and broke the both heels . He was down for little over a year , walking around now ..
Good luck , it will take time

Only own 1 acre, but with BIL, and FIL living close I mow around 3-4 acres. I went from a JD425 to a 2210 w/fel, 2305 fel, 2305 fel.bh , 1026r fel-bh and now 1025r keeping the fel/bh.
We can help you spend your money, sounds like you could use a frt mt snow blower, 54" frt blade & fel. If your lawn is level a 60" mmm w/auto connect if hilly a 54" mmm w/auto connect ( Just my opinion) on mower.

Breaking an ankle or foot just sucks. At this point I'm done and want off this ride but the train hasn't pulled back to the station yet for me to get off. At least I am back to driving, cutting grass, well now pushing snow, and can put 30 lbs of pressure on the ankle but that is where the limit is. I was given the lecture in PT since I was doing way more than I should. Glad to hear that there is light at the end of this really long tunnel.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I actually go looking for things to do with my tractor, which has been a benefit to my neighbors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know what you mean on this. I want to play with the blade and out of the 4 neighbors one never does anything with the driveway, one hand shovels and is in really good shape and the others gets theirs plowed. I spoke to two of them and said hey for light snowfalls I'll plow the driveway for you and they declined. Looks like I will have to head the other way down the street!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone for the responses. A 1025r would be overkill for my yard. When I said 1.5 acres that is all I have. Very few trees, but I keep adding. I actually bought a house where the owners were allergic to trees. I have no garden but have always thought of putting one in just to feed the wildlife that we get.

The only time I have a problem with traction and the blade on my 485 is when trying to turn and the blade is loaded with some snow. The tractor just wants to keep going straight. Before you ask yes the blade is in the float position. Since I have no experience with pushing snow I'm sure there is a learning curve and I'm making due but I need more snow! I figured a 4wd would help with the turning. I haven't had enough snow to see the breaking point for traction but I have the blower for the big snow falls.

I had an old Deere 28D walk behind which in October we traded in for a new Ariens 36" hydro walk behind. I was looking at the blower for the tractor but wanted the 54" and was told my tractor couldn't handle that. The 47" wasn't wide enough for me. That and learning the process to change over from blade to mower to blower and I said forget it. At the time they were still talking I may need surgery and a bone fusion on the ankle so I needed something easy. Since the wife would be doing the blowing she said she would be more comfortable with the walk behind so $3500 later a new blower is in the garage.

Well then she came home and I could tell she wasn't comfortable with the size and wasn't looking forward to snow blowing at 3am so we could go to work so I added the blade to my tractor. If/when we get enough snow I will push the snow enough to get the cars out in the morning. Then when she gets home after work we tag team with her on the blower and me pushing snow. Plus the blower is nice for the back patio area. A tractor and blower would have been too big for that area.

They are calling for light snow next week so hopefully it's enough to be able to go out and play. I'm the nut that loves snow!

If your bored the link below takes you to my website where I made it onto a few local ski hills and photographed the snow making process and the grooming. Brian Holberg | Ski Resort Snowcats & Snowmaking

·
Premium Member
9,728 Posts
The only time I have a problem with traction and the blade on my 485 is when trying to turn and the blade is loaded with some snow. The tractor just wants to keep going straight. Before you ask yes the blade is in the float position. Since I have no experience with pushing snow I'm sure there is a learning curve and I'm making due but I need more snow! I figured a 4wd would help with the turning. I haven't had enough snow to see the breaking point for traction but I have the blower for the big snow falls.

They are calling for light snow next week so hopefully it's enough to be able to go out and play. I'm the nut that loves snow!

Especially on the smaller machines, including the 1 series, even with 4x4 turning can be a challenge. Just not enough weight up front. Some have added weights to the front and I am sure that does help.

You'll figure out a good pattern and then you'll be set. The X485 is a good machine. I had a X495 that I had a lot of fun with.

While there are a few on here (primarily from Texas) that don't care for the snow, there are several that do!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts