Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a long-time Chevy guy, it's surprising to announce I decided the Ford offering in this class of vehicle had the better driveline.

We use to run T444E's in International 4700 24' straight trucks in one of the fleets I dealt with managing breakdowns on. Biggest problem we saw out of them was transmission and brake failures back in 1997-99. 150Kmi with rental customers is hard on anything, I don't care how well it's built. So here we are 16 years later and I got the ford badged one. :thumbup1gif:

The Chevy diesels in the 6.2 and 6.5 are dogs. The Duramax 6.6 is a good engine, but not without it's own problems too. What completely sealed the deal for me was the lack of a straight front axle in a 1T. IFS is nice and all, but I want indestructible. Give me a Dana 60! So that's what I got, and it didn't take 18K of re-engineering to do it. I am probably going to retrofit some GM seats into this sucker. The Ford bench middle section is too high for my elbow and feels cramped. My drivers side is nice enough I should be able to sell it too.

241K miles and there's no rust or leaks. :)

I'm going back up there to pick it up tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice looking truck. How many miles?
Thanks! Took 5 days searching the interwebs to decide to make the 2.5hr drive up there to look at this one instead of driving 12 hours out to Colorado to avoid the cancer (rust). For some reason, this one hasn't been exposed to much, if any salt and it certainly shows!

241K second from last line. ;)

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tire wear is even and there's no evidence of feathering despite the steering wheel not being centered. I'll have it checked for alignment for sure, and will be going through the front knuckles to service the lock-outs and check for slop.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I had the Prodigy P3 on my last truck and it was OK but I decided to go with the factory controller this time.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
What engine. Looks to be 5.4.

·
Registered
23,006 Posts
I had the Prodigy P3 on my last truck and it was OK but I decided to go with the factory controller this time.
I had read so many good things about the factory controller I was excited to try it when I bought my truck. They really do work perfectly - absolutely seamless braking between the truck and trailer.

I don't know when they became available in the F-250 or F-350 but I think my 2009 was the first year for them in the F-150.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I think they have been around longer than that in the 250/350 but they have improved them in recent years. Mine works flawlessly. It even ties into the trailer sway control.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
No emblem on drivers door however when I look at the later pic I see Power stroke on the right door. Body work????

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What engine. Looks to be 5.4.

7.3L thus the discussion of the IH T444E which is what the 7.3L is with exception of an electric fuel pump instead of mechanical on the IH.

If it's a 5.3, someone did an amazing job with the turbo retrofit and glow plug light - even got the sound and kick in the pants torque to feel just like a diesel. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No emblem on drivers door however when I look at the later pic I see Power stroke on the right door. Body work????

It's possible that side's been worked on, but if it was painted, they did a great job color matching it and fitting everything. The front fender has a kink in it on the right.

There's no rust on anything but the tips of the back doors and it's just surface. The inside of the drivers door on the rocker is worn from entry/exit as to be expected, so they didn't respray the whole thing if they fixed anything.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
I think they have been around longer than that in the 250/350 but they have improved them in recent years. Mine works flawlessly. It even ties into the trailer sway control.

I think it was 2008 for the 250+ sized trucks, maybe 2010.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Nice find, you sure get economy and reliability out of the 7.3 but boy the newer diesels run like scalded dogs when you give em the boot. You just have to pray that no little stupid gizmo's fail on you and blow the whole motor up...

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
7.3L thus the discussion of the IH T444E which is what the 7.3L is with exception of an electric fuel pump instead of mechanical on the IH.
Close. The front cover is different, along with some of the accessories.

You might check with a local Ford dealer and see if that truck has had the CPS recall done. If you ever need to remove the top radiator hose, replace it with the one for a dual alternator setup. The standard hose runs inside the serpentine belt, so if the belt breaks or needs to be replaced you must remove the hose to fix it. The dual alternator belt runs against the front cover (that's what the casting is for below the alternator) behind the belt and then curves around the outside.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts