Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's that time of the year again when my hands start looking like I've been arm-wrestling bobcats. It starts out slow. I get a crack in a finger or thumb. Next, it's my knuckles. Pretty soon, I can't stick a hand in a pocket without leaving a blood trail. I fill the cracks with New Skin every few days until they close up, but they almost always open back up just before they completely heal.

Thumb.jpg

I've tried quite a few different lotions. My go-to remedy at the time is Corn Husker's Lotion as it doesn't smell awful bad and doesn't leave a greasy film behind. Unfortunately, it isn't a miracle cure either. It helps the knuckles but doesn't seem to do anything for the fingers.

I've tried Bag Balm as it was recommended by a farmer friend. Shaking my friends hand in the winter is like shaking hands with a cactus so I didn't have much hope that his recommendation would be of help. And how is bag ointment supposed to help my hands anyways? It was a nice feeling, but not what I was looking for.

I've tried a few of my wife's and daughter's lotions but they are always too greasy and perfumed. I don't want to smell like a woman. I just want the smooth hands of one. :drama:

I admit to having tried the urine treatment. My wife put an end to that after she discovered it was me and not my young son who was making a mess of the bathroom. :laugh: I still try it every once in a while, mostly when I've been over-served and grab a two-fingered handle with a four-fingered grip.

Being serious now. Anyone have a recommendation of a lotion, cure or family remedy that works for chapped and cracked hands? I really don't want to smell pretty or sleep with my hands swaddled in cloth, but otherwise, I'm open to suggestions.

If you haven't got a suggestion, show me your crack. Misery loves company.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
I've dealt with the same issue. The best results I've had were using udder balm for cattle, but it's not a great fix. I usually end up using store brand neosporin as lotion before the winter ends, and heal up in the spring. :thumbsdown:

·
Corndog Hater
11,688 Posts
Luckily in our house, cracked skin isn't much of a problem. But dry chapped skin is. We use a variety of lotions. I use the newer, manly smelling stuff by lubriderm or the like. My youngest get dry, eczema like skin on the backs of his hands. We have a prescription ointment we apply. That when used in combination with Eucerin Eczema Relief lotion does wonders. We are big fans of Eucerin products, maybe they have a cracked skin product. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,730 Posts
I use O'Keeffe's Working Hands cream. It does well on my hands. For really bad case of dry and cracking skin, I put it on right before going to bed and cover my hand with a sock. This prevents you from rubbing it off all over your bed and keeps it on your hand where it's needed. I can't use much of any creams during the day because I wash my hands so often.

·
Super Moderator
8,053 Posts
I use O'Keeffe's Working Hands cream. It does well on my hands. For really bad case of dry and cracking skin, I put it on right before going to bed and cover my hand with a sock. This prevents you from rubbing it off all over your bed and keeps it on your hand where it's needed. I can't use much of any creams during the day because I wash my hands so often.

Ditto! Same product and treatment. Usually in Winter I start getting cracks around my thumbnails and the sides and tips of my index fingers. As I've gotten older I've started using Lubriderm lotion on my hands every morning and before putting on work gloves. I also try to use lighter weight Mechanix gloves or surgical gloves when using tools.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks for the link! :thumbup1gif: I just put it in my cart and will be giving it a try along with anything else that pops up here.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Luckily in our house, cracked skin isn't much of a problem. But dry chapped skin is. We use a variety of lotions. I use the newer, manly smelling stuff by lubriderm or the like. My youngest get dry, eczema like skin on the backs of his hands. We have a prescription ointment we apply. That when used in combination with Eucerin Eczema Relief lotion does wonders. We are big fans of Eucerin products, maybe they have a cracked skin product. Good luck
I just looked at the Eucerin products. They make Aquaphor! That's the best burn and sunburn ointment I've used; on myself and on the kids when they were growing up. I never tried it on my hands but since I have it in stock, I'm going to go and do so right now. :yahoo:

Edit: I sadly report that the Aquaphor is too greasy for me. I immediately washed it off the palms of my hands, but left it on the backs.

·
Administrator
18,004 Posts
Here is what I use, I suffer sever cracking also since I work outside a lot. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418572081.271955.jpg

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is what I use, I suffer sever cracking also since I work outside a lot. View attachment 36747

Added to my Amazon cart. I'm going to have to get a new medicine cabinet just for hand creams. Maybe I'll do a hand cream review at the end of the season. :laugh:

·
Administrator
20,730 Posts
Added to my Amazon cart. I'm going to have to get a new medicine cabinet just for hand creams. Maybe I'll do a hand cream review at the end of the season. :laugh:
That's a great idea. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
You might look at treating it from the inside of your body. I find that vitamin C is a really good anti-inflammatory and as long as you drink water you really can't get too much. I take a 1000mg in the morning and and also at night. Also look at taking flax seed oil. It is full of omega 3 fatty acids which are good for hair, skin, and nails.

You may want to check with a dermatologist and see what they think. It may be a fungus infection kind of like athletes foot and they can prescribe way stronger meds than you can get over the counter.

·
Super Moderator
5,112 Posts
My B-I-L suggested Duluth Trading's "No Crack" to me a few years back. I don't have to much of a problem but occassionally my hands and the skin on my neck will crack in late winter when things get really dry. This stuff works pretty well for my issues.

·
Administrator
20,730 Posts
I want to try some of Duluth's products. They have pretty good reviews. But that's another thread.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You might look at treating it from the inside of your body. I find that vitamin C is a really good anti-inflammatory and as long as you drink water you really can't get too much. I take a 1000mg in the morning and and also at night. Also look at taking flax seed oil. It is full of omega 3 fatty acids which are good for hair, skin, and nails.

You may want to check with a dermatologist and see what they think. It may be a fungus infection kind of like athletes foot and they can prescribe way stronger meds than you can get over the counter.

The doc agrees that it's a result of winter cold and dry air. When the cracks appear they are pristine looking, like they were slit with a razor. They only look like the photo after they have filled with dirt and grease a few times and the edges become hard. I take vitamin D and B and my hair and fingernails grow like a caveman's.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I'll second the udder creams for the severe cases, especially at night. It is probably the very best item for the job, but can be a little greasy. A lot does soak in, so won't leave excess "grease", but will a little.

For daytime use, I like Curel Lotion, in the Ultra Healing formula. The regular formula is OK for occasional use, but the Ultra Healing is not greasy, yet lasts for many hours. Would probably last 24 hours, except I too wash hands MANY times a day, due to working in dirt and gunk. But I can feel the benefits last through several of those washings. It also does not have a "perfumy" odor, so that is a big plus.

edit: And Omega Fatty Acids will help from the inside out, so Flax seed, Fish oil, etc., as a dietary supplement would be good. Those take a while to begin showing benefit, so might be the end of January, or middle of February before you notice. Maybe next year begin taking those in August or September too, and see if you can get a "jump" on things.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts

·
Corndog Hater
11,688 Posts
I just looked at the Eucerin products. They make Aquaphor! That's the best burn and sunburn ointment I've used; on myself and on the kids when they were growing up. I never tried it on my hands but since I have it in stock, I'm going to go and do so right now. :yahoo:

Edit: I sadly report that the Aquaphor is too greasy for me. I immediately washed it off the palms of my hands, but left it on the backs.
Yes aquaphor is greasy. I have used it on my hands only as a last resort. It works well if my lips get too chapped when working outside though.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I use to have a terrible problem with my hands also. As a mechanic I was using hand cleaners all the time. What I found is using Dawn dish soap rather than hand cleaners it cleaned my hands well and reduced the cracking to almost none.
As mentioned above on one reply, per my Physician be sure to cover your hands at night after appling any lotion with a light glove or sock, it not only reducers it wiping off but it tends to absorb through the skin better when covered.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,266 Posts
Can't add anymore then was already said. But for cuts to stop the bleeding I used to use kerosene when I had some. It dries it up to stop the bleeding so you may not want to try this.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Can't add anymore then was already said. But for cuts to stop the bleeding I used to use kerosene when I had some. It dries it up to stop the bleeding so you may not want to try this.
Electric tape works well also. Stays put better than a bandaid too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts