Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with them? Was thinking about trying some on a 4WD diesel pickup. I usually stick with one brand of tires like Michelin for pickups, but need a more aggressive tire for offroading.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking. After I posted this thread I checked online reviews and they were not kind.
I may check on Super Swamper LTB. But they may be just as loud.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Anyone have experience with them? Was thinking about trying some on a 4WD diesel pickup. I usually stick with one brand of tires like Michelin for pickups, but need a more aggressive tire for offroading.
Never had a set. But from what I have seen and heard of them their not very good off road, their more for show trucks.

Something like cooper STT or goodyear duratracks would be my choice for mild off roading.

·
Registered
134 Posts
They don't self clean well at all! Swampers are loud but for off road they are hard to beat. If you want a tire that is good off road and friendly on road then I would strongly consider BF Goodrich all terrains. Yes they are an all terrain, but they are very capable off road and great on snow. Just my 2 cents. Now if you want a true off road tire then the only real tire to consider are boggers.

·
Administrator
20,880 Posts
BFG all terrains just melt away on a heavy 3/4 or 1 ton truck. Never seen more than 20k miles in my experience on a heavy truck.

Don't know what kind of rig you are looking to outfit R&G man. Can you help us out?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Goodyear duratracs... I have a set on my diesel crew cab and so far have 58,000 miles on em. Work well in mud, fantastic in snow and wear very well.

Stuckbirds are all around a bad idea, LTBs will melt down on the highway, and I 3rd the bfgs will disappear on pavement.

Jim
Owner - IA4x4.com

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't let my Ford friends read this, the tires are for a Ram 2500 4WD pickup. I love the 5.9 Cummins engines.:thumbup1gif: May put some on a F350 in the near future too.

Thanks for the input on the tires, guys.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Looks like an old thread but I'll disagree on the BFG ATs. I'm on my second set on my diesel excursion. First set went 85k. This set has about 50k on them and I'd guess 40% tread left. The trick to them is regular rotations. I do mine every 5k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
937 Posts
Looks like an old thread but I'll disagree on the BFG ATs. I'm on my second set on my diesel excursion. First set went 85k. This set has about 50k on them and I'd guess 40% tread left. The trick to them is regular rotations. I do mine every 5k.

Rotating every 500 miles isn't feasible. I've watched half of the rear tread disappear on the drive from Fort Collins, co to San Antonio Texas while pulling a fully loaded horse trailer. Yes, my alignment is perfect. I'm guessing that you just haven't loaded your excursion enough to watch it happen.

·
Registered
96 Posts
5000 not 500. It tows 5-6000 lbs regularly.
I know that's not fully loaded. My brother in law runs them on both his f350s that pull a 9000lb bobcat often as well as a 12000 lb gooseneck. Guess we got lucky with the few sets we've had then.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I think there is a huge variation with BFGs. For example, my old Jeep had a set of 33" Bfg mud ko's that would simply not wear out. My wife's new Jeep has a set of same tire in 32" and they are nearly gone after 45k. We are going to try duratracs on it as well.

Jim

·
Registered
937 Posts
5000 not 500. It tows 5-6000 lbs regularly.
I know that's not fully loaded. My brother in law runs them on both his f350s that pull a 9000lb bobcat often as well as a 12000 lb gooseneck. Guess we got lucky with the few sets we've had then.

I meant 500 (the distance from from Fort Collins to San Antonio). After I typed it I knew it would be confusing. I know that a lot of people use those tires. I just know that when I was fully loaded going down the highway that they just wore away. I am convinced that had I made that trip a 2nd time that they would've been bald on the back in only 2,000 miles. I will say that there was a huge crosswind so maybe the side force added to it. Who knows. I rotate every 5k. Even my BFG mud terrains lasted better. Maybe they got a new rubber formula. Idk.

Maybe it's not what you pull but how much weight they are carrying?

·
Premium Member
9,744 Posts
Given the two different geographical areas that you live in have a difference?

Air / road surface temperature?

What about the road surface (smooth asphalt vs. Chip & tar vs. Concrete)?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Rtgt could be on to something. All I know is with the BFG luck we've had i wouldn't put anything else on my truck.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I don't think I've ever met someone that liked Thornbirds after having them - they always replace them with something different.

They wear fast, funny, are noisy and aren't all that good off-road.

BFG makes the AT's in a high-load 5-ply version for 3/4 and 1-ton trucks. My brother used to run them on his Cummins Dodge all the time with great results.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I think there is a huge variation with BFGs. For example, my old Jeep had a set of 33" Bfg mud ko's that would simply not wear out. My wife's new Jeep has a set of same tire in 32" and they are nearly gone after 45k. We are going to try duratracs on it as well.

Jim
On your wife's Jeep, you should be aware that the "OEM" tires that come on new vehicles are rarely the same as what you would buy of the shelf at a tire retailer. They are often cheaper versions. When I bought my Jetta new, it came with Conti ProContacts. I can't tell you how many stories I've read of people burning through a set in 20-30k miles on their new car. On my car, I was at 55k before I had to replace them due to a sidewall bulge (I hit somthing...) but there was plenty of tread left. I'm positive I could have make it to 70k before replacing. As always, YMMV.

I don't think I've ever met someone that liked Thornbirds after having them - they always replace them with something different.

They wear fast, funny, are noisy and aren't all that good off-road.

BFG makes the AT's in a high-load 5-ply version for 3/4 and 1-ton trucks. My brother used to run them on his Cummins Dodge all the time with great results.
My dad swears by BFG A/T's and he hates spending alot of money on tires, saying they are all the same. By far our favorite tire was the Firestone Steel Tex. Those things wore like iron, were fairly quite and they didn't disintegrate from being driven on gravel roads.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
My dad swears by BFG A/T's and he hates spending alot of money on tires, saying they are all the same. By far our favorite tire was the Firestone Steel Tex. Those things wore like iron, were fairly quite and they didn't disintegrate from being driven on gravel roads.
I've run BFG AT's on many vehicles (none of them 3/4 ton) and had great luck with regular rotation. One of my other friends also ran the 5-ply AT's on a different 3/4 ton dodge with good luck.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts