Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago I noticed that the 3pt hitch was oscillating up and down just a bit. Put the BB on and repaired the driveway. Then noticed that the 3pt hitch would not stay in position and the oscillation was really bad. When you shut the engine off, with the 3pt hitch up, it immeadiatly dropped to the floor. Called the dealer up, told him the problem. They said they have been getting calls on this on other units. They are finding out that if you got water in your hydraulic system rust can form on the pistons, valves or other places tearing the o-rings and seals up. He said mine was so bad they may have to replace the piston assembly. Mine is still under warranty but wanted to let others know if theirs started acting funny like this, that it could have been a problem in the making due to the recall.

·
Registered
967 Posts
When I took delivery of my 26R, the dealer replaced the Vent cap (?) under the seat Pryor to me taking delivery. So, my fluid was never contaminated. This spring when I hooked up my weight box the Three-Point hitch couldn't lift the box more than an inch. After two weeks in the shop.... I visited and saw the problem. It was a small square unit about the size of a deck of cards that bolts directly to the transaxle just under the seat. He said it was valving etc. Oh yes, it could have been the piston, weak pump, slow pump, rust, undersized piston, over-sized bore. I heard it all. Until they test and evaluate....:usa

PS, there is a thread here about this very same subject of the osculation of the three-point hitch someplace.

·
Registered
104 Posts
BillieS, thanks for your post. I think it's important, but don't totally understand why. Your statement "that it could have been a problem in the making due to the recall". Leaves me confused. Was there a recall, that caused contamination. Or was there a problem in manufacturing (making) that caused a contamination and resultant recall. I guess I would like to have clear information about the recall you speak of. Thanks ! This is important to know. Dan

·
Registered
578 Posts
If you look at the '11 R's center link holster bracket, there is a full circle around the hydro fill port that will puddle rain water. The rain water will find its way in through the cap. This is the reason for the extended fill cap adapter. The '12 and later Rs have a "drain" cut into this bracket, and shouldn't puddle water. Mine has never been rained on, so my fluid is clean, and dash not foggy. Most of yous with rust probably got that way on the dealer's lot.

·
Registered
709 Posts
If you had the recall type cap, the hydraulics could have been contaminated long before you bought the tractor. Many of them sit outside in the weather for a good while between the factory, the shipping and at the dealer. Then if they sit long enough that the dealer washed them, chances are a pressure washer was used on it. It can be hard to tell if it has water in it too, up until changing the fluid.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks for your replies. Totally clear now! I think my 1023e is a 12. I bought it used several months ago from private party with just 50 hours on it. I've been looking for a reference source to read my serial number, but no luck yet. I'll check this morning for drain in the bracket, maybe stop at my dealer and see what the new model cap looks like, also. I've done the 50 hr service, but of course all fluid went directly into container, so no visual possible. O

·
Administrator
17,945 Posts
I've been looking for a reference source to read my serial number, but no luck yet.
There is no way of doing that online, but you can call or visit any dealer and they can tell you all sorts of stuff...

·
Registered
104 Posts
I checked my cap. The mounting plate has a half moon cutout toward the seat. Looks like it couldn't hold water. Also the plastic cap assembly screws into a unpainted metal block that raises the whole thing another inch or so above the plate. Looks like I have the fix. Thanks !

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BillieS, thanks for your post. I think it's important, but don't totally understand why. Your statement "that it could have been a problem in the making due to the recall". Leaves me confused. Was there a recall, that caused contamination. Or was there a problem in manufacturing (making) that caused a contamination and resultant recall. I guess I would like to have clear information about the recall you speak of. Thanks ! This is important to know. Dan
Sorry Dan,

I was away for a while. Some 1026r sat on the dealers lots in the rain. Some of them, with the filler cap causing water to flow into the hydraulic case. This caused the fluid to end up a white milky color when running. The water then caused rust to form on some of the internal parts, with the rust erroding the seals, pistons and other items. Mine was one that had the milky hyd. fluid and they had to change and flush the system out and change the filters. Seems they did not get it all.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update! I received my tractor back yesterday. They had to replace the whole 3pt hitch section including the piston on top, replaced the hyd. pump assembly due to so much rust, changed all the fluids and hyd. filters, flushed the system out. Maybe my power will return to normal. I will know this weekend how the repairs went as I have plans to use it alot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts