Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to buy one. Good condition. Solid Deck, Plow and dual rear wheels. Needs Seat.

Any thoughts?

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
As usual,,, :dunno:Price ? Price ? Price ? :dunno:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As usual,,, :dunno:Price ? Price ? Price ? :dunno:
Was asking 1200 in that’s just ridiculous. He came down to 800. I’m thinking between three and five would be more realistic

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
The duals are pointless, and would make plowing impossible.

A 208 has no variator, so mowing is slower then any other 200 series.

If it was a 210 it would be worth about $500 in my area.

Also the 208 didn’t have side panels.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agree with you on the duals. Was thinking of selling those.

Thanks for the information. I’ll pass on it unless he gets closer to $300.

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts
The 208 was an entry level 200 series, priced to compete against Craftsman, MTD, others. It came with skinny wheels and tires (the fronts that are on that 208 are incorrect), no engine side panels, no variator, and it had a few other things missing that was standard on the rest of the 200 line. They were made in 1977 and 1978 only. It's the one 200 series I would love to own again. I had one a few years ago and I regrettably sold it.

That one would get the correct front rims and tires if I bought it. Here is the one I had.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info.

So the way it sits what would you think would be a fair price , being that you had one?

The extra wheels and tires I can sell.

He has done the following:
Rebuilt carb
New head gasket
New drive and idler pulleys
New belts
New points
New rear light lenses

Issues:
The hood has two holes that the previous owner put for lights
No amp gauge
Lights need new switch
New seat
Deck was patched(welded)

Or should I save my money for the other 2’s or a 332.

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts
In my opinion, as it sits, it's worth $300 to $400, if it had the correct front tires. If bought, I would acquire the correct front rims and tires (more $$$), new seat, and sell the engine side panels (they're not original to the tractor). To me, a 208 is worth to own for collection purposes, but not as a go-to tractor for work. So, I would try and make it as originally correct as I could, if I own it. That's just my opinion of course.

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts
One more tidbit, the side panels that are on that tractor is the mesh screen side panels, which were only used the first two years of the 200 series, 1975 and 1976. Starting until 1977 and until the end of the 200 series production run in 1987, the side panels had louvers in them, not screens. So, those are even the incorrect side panels for the year.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more tidbit, the side panels that are on that tractor is the mesh screen side panels, which were only used the first two years of the 200 series, 1975 and 1976. Starting until 1977 and until the end of the 200 series production run in 1987, the side panels had louvers in them, not screens. So, those are even the incorrect side panels for the year.
Thank you for the info. I am going to pass on it. Lowest he will go is $500. I was thinking I could sell the wheels and tires to get me where I want to be but not sure I have the time to mess with selling stuff. LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts