Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a rotary tiller heading into this spring and not sure what's the best bang for the buck. I have looked at JD but $2,300 for a tiller seems pricey for a 49" tiller. I have also looked at the King Kutters 48" w/ offset for $1,777. Any ideas or thoughts on what others might be using and what I could expect for price? :unknown: - thanks

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I would highly suggest the 4' King Kutter. The yellow one. Around here its priced around $1400. Check your local Tractor Supply if you have one.. :thumbup1gif:

Here is my 5' tiller...

·
127 Posts
I am looking to purchase a rotary tiller heading into this spring and not sure what's the best bang for the buck. I have looked at JD but $2,300 for a tiller seems pricey for a 49" tiller. I have also looked at the King Kutters 48" w/ offset for $1,777. Any ideas or thoughts on what others might be using and what I could expect for price? :unknown: - thanks
While we always suggest the John Deere / Frontier route for attachments for our customers for a variety of reasons (High Quality, Durable, Warranty, etc), we completely understand when guys are wanting to save a few $$ and choose other branded attachments. We personally don't have any experience w/ the King Kutter brand, but it seems like they are good products.

The only suggestion we can offer is that you don't get a tiller bigger than the 49" models. While the 1026R SCUTs are great and powerful machines, they do have their limits and trying to use a 3pt tiller larger than this will not only bog down your machine, but it could potentially do some damage to your PTO.

Just our $.02 :thumbup1gif:

If you do want to check the prices of a variety of John Deere and Frontier Rotary Tillers, check out our full selection HERE! -- Dont' forget, we offer FREE SHIPPING and depending where you live can possibly knock off a few more $$ off our already-low prices.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I have a KK BX48". Works well on my 1026R. I paid about $1200 for it at Fleet Farm last spring. Seems to be a very good tiller for the price.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Please correct me if I am wrong, but the KK tillers are gear driven right?
Yes, all the King Kutters that I have looked at are gear driven.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thoughts on Rotary Tillers

I have a Woods TSR52 that I purchased last July from McMichaels Kubota up at the intersection of VintHill Rd and Rt29. I believe the price was around $2000.

It does a great job and my 1026 seems to handle it just fine. If you go this route, do be sure to adjust the slip clutch per the book as the rear rotation of the tines will
pick up large rocks.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WHAT IS THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE OR ADVANTAGE TO CHAIN DRIVEN VERSUS GEAR DRIVEN TILLERS??:unknown:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
WHAT IS THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE OR ADVANTAGE TO CHAIN DRIVEN VERSUS GEAR DRIVEN TILLERS??:unknown:
With a gear driven tiller, there's no chain to stretch or break. Also, gears transmit mechanical power better than a chain and when properly lubricated, they should last longer than chains.

Haven't had the two types side by side to compare noise levels, but I wouldn't be surprised if the gears are quieter. I prefer the gear driven design.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
With a gear driven tiller, there's no chain to stretch or break. Also, gears transmit mechanical power better than a chain and when properly lubricated, they should last longer than chains.

Haven't had the two types side by side to compare noise levels, but I wouldn't be surprised if the gears are quieter. I prefer the gear driven design.
That was the thing that impressed me the most the first time I fired it up.. Got mine in spring of 2003 and its just as quiet today as the day I got it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Tiller

I have been using King Kutter products since 2003 and have had no problems. I have a back blade, box blade, rake, 5' brush hog, and I just bought a 5' tiller in August of 2012. It works flawlessly and I used the daylights out of it for a month while putting in a couple food plots and trails on my property. I hit some good size rocks and roots and it didn't skip a beat. The King Kutter is the best bang for your $$$. I paid around $1,450 for mine. Fleet Farm, L&M Supply, and Farm & Fleet stores are a few of the many places that carry them, but these places had the best prices I could find. It has a slip clutch and is gear driven. Don't let the price fool you, this is good quality equipment. I priced Land Pride, Kubota, John Deere (Frontier), and a few others and they started around $2,500 for a chain driven model.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have a Kuhn EL23-120 tiller for my X728 and love it. The dealer gave me a good deal of $1650 but they normally go for $1800. A JD dealer near me recomended it to me because he had one on his X series tractor and liked it better than the Deere.

Adam

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Is anybody here running a Deere 647 or 655 tiller? If so, how do you like it?

I'm also considering a tiller purchase in the coming months and am currently in research mode now.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anyone using a Countyline Tiller from TSC? It looks identical to the King Kutter II and apparently is designed by KK for TSC's Countyline. The specs and descriptions on the two are identical as well. And at only $1,600 would save me a buck or two on shipping.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
If you go to Tractor Supplies website and look up the tiller you can download the user manual. I bet money that it'll say King Kutter and have their name and number for parts. I've been looking at their 4 foot tiller and I'm pretty sure I checked out the manual. It was the same way with my 4 foot County Line mower.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have been using King Kutter products since 2003 and have had no problems. I have a back blade, box blade, rake, 5' brush hog, and I just bought a 5' tiller in August of 2012. It works flawlessly and I used the daylights out of it for a month while putting in a couple food plots and trails on my property. I hit some good size rocks and roots and it didn't skip a beat. The King Kutter is the best bang for your $$$. I paid around $1,450 for mine. Fleet Farm, L&M Supply, and Farm & Fleet stores are a few of the many places that carry them, but these places had the best prices I could find. It has a slip clutch and is gear driven. Don't let the price fool you, this is good quality equipment. I priced Land Pride, Kubota, John Deere (Frontier), and a few others and they started around $2,500 for a chain driven model.
What size tractor you running with it? I am concerned about the weight of a KK 48" at around 600lbs on my 1026R.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts