Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the wife bought the gator suv 550 s4 we've been kicking around which windshield we should buy.
The first one from Dot Weld Offroad is a split windshield that seems like the split is 2-3" below the top of the grap handle on passenger side.
The other one is from ATV-UTV Accessory Superstore it is aXUV 550 Full Vented Windshield .

Wondering what everyone else is using or buying they are both 1/4 Lexan Thick Polycarbonate .

Thanks for all replies..

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I have a half windshield on my gator and then the bottom part fold up to allow more air in. Even in rain, I stay dry. It allows enough air through that its not too hot in the summer and it keeps enough air out that I am not cold in the winter. I thought I wanted a full windshield on my RZR 900, so I bought it. I hate it as its HOT in the summer. nicer in the winter, but I always have to look through it and if it gets wet, visibility suffers. With the half windshield, my view is always clear.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
I don't mean to bash either company's product, as I have no experience with either one. However, this would be a pretty simple DIY job if you were so inclined. I was actually just talking about this with a friend of mine the other day.

Simply take your measurements to a local plastics supplier and have them cut a sheet to your specs. When I needed to put a windshield in the Curtis cab on my Gator, I had them cut a whole sheet of 1/4" plexiglass for me. I made the front windshield, rear 'glass', and have enough left over to put solid panels on the lower portions of my doors. They cut everything for me, and I believe it cost about $80.00. Now, my cab frame already had mounting points for the windows. In your case, you can measure the diameter of the roll bar tubing and use 'metal loom clamps' to attach it. I've never dealt with the following company either, but these are the clamps I'm talking about. A quick web search will come up with multiple suppliers and sizes. Wrap it around the post, then sandwich the windshield between the tabs. Bolt it up and you're set!

Cable Management | Looms & Loom Clamps | Loom Clamps - Vinyl Coated Steel - GlobalIndustrial.com

·
Premium Member
14,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the thoughts going to a local supplier. I had stopped at a glass company got some prices much cheaper than ones ready made.
In the mean time wife just ordered the vented one Fri evening . So guessing it should be toward the end of the week. Like you suggested, I'm still thinking about getting the back glass from local glass company.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts going to a local supplier. I had stopped at a glass company got some prices much cheaper than ones ready made.
In the mean time wife just ordered the vented one Fri evening . So guessing it should be toward the end of the week. Like you suggested, I'm still thinking about getting the back glass from local glass company.
I'd use lexon as it is less likely to get broken.

·
Premium Member
14,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 6 of 6 Posts