Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend has been looking at tractors for his 10 acres. He said he saw an ad for 2000 JD 4600 w/460 loader and powershift trans. R4 tires. $12,800
Any known issues/problems with this tractor? Would it be good first tractor for home owner? It will not be for lawn mowing.
No idea the hours yet.
Pros/Cons?

·
Administrator
20,876 Posts
The 4x00 series was very solid. I don't really know much about that trans though.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Very solid tractor.....I have the 4500 almost identical...loader is extremely capable.....I am over 2k hrs with minimal problems...I can answer specific questions if needed......huge amount of tractor for the $s

·
Registered
126 Posts
Looks like it will be gone....

I mean, terrible tractor, breaks down all the time. Deere parts are $$$$. I recommend he stay away....Now, where's it located again...LOL

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
JD4600 loader/backhoe, JD2210 loader mower, JD332 mower,
82 Posts
I have a 4600 with 3200 hours. Power-reverser and 48 backhoe. Starts without the flow plugs even in the winter. Nice machine. My only gripe is that the backhoe mount didn’t have an undercarriage. I had to have one built because the mounting bolts came loose and hogged out some holes.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I've had a 4200 since it was new. Other than routine maintenance I've spent very little on broken or worn out parts. I occasionally wish I had a few more horses but that's not the tractor's fault.

·
Premium Member
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys! MAYBE I SHOULD BUY IT! Looks like a good replacement for my 2030

Reactions: ttazzman

·
Registered
82 Posts
The 4600 is good because it has cast iron axle housings, where the smaller machines are die cast aluminum. Much stronger in my feeble opinion.

·
Premium Member
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 4600 is good because it has cast iron axle housings, where the smaller machines are die cast aluminum. Much stronger in my feeble opinion.
I totally agree, aluminum was step backwards for tractors

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
So tell me. Is it sold?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Lol....I don't blame you for asking if it's in good shape it's a heck of a tractor for the $....much more capable than current tractors costing 2-3times more

·
Registered
215 Posts
ive got the 4300...runs and runs.... but the plastic covers, ie hood, and console, just crack like a cracker... especially where all the bolts hold them on...... I have a 48 backhoe subplate for the larger(4500, 4600 4700 models) if interested

·
Super Moderator
8,956 Posts
4600? I had its predecessor the 1070 and it was a damn fine rig. Solid, powerful, reliable and capable.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Don’t complain too much about the “cheap” plastic. If you have bent up metal parts, what would it cost you for a body shop to straighten them and repaint? I replaced ALL the 20-year-old cracked up plastic panels on my 4600 for much less than the body shop bill would have been. Total cost was a little over $1000 to replace all the front plastic parts - hood, side covers, grill, instrument panel shroud, fuse cover. I’ll agree that the plastic hood is very light. It’s just fine if you don’t drop rocks on it.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Don’t complain too much about the “cheap” plastic. If you have bent up metal parts, what would it cost you for a body shop to straighten them and repaint? I replaced ALL the 20-year-old cracked up plastic panels on my 4600 for much less than the body shop bill would have been. Total cost was a little over $1000 to replace all the front plastic parts - hood, side covers, grill, instrument panel shroud, fuse cover. I’ll agree that the plastic hood is very light. It’s just fine if you don’t drop rocks on it.
yep removeable side panel mounting tabs are a bit fragile .......but i bought new both side replacements a few years ago on ebay for ~200 for both sides still have them in the packaging ready to go if i need to put one on ..far better than dented faded rusted scratched sheet metal in my opinion...seems like new decals are relatively pricey compated to the panels

·
Registered
1 Posts
ive got the 4300...runs and runs.... but the plastic covers, ie hood, and console, just crack like a cracker... especially where all the bolts hold them on...... I have a 48 backhoe subplate for the larger(4500, 4600 4700 models) if interested
I have a JD 48 Backhoe & I'm interested in the Subplate. Mine has the subplate for the small frame tractors and I need a subplate to fit my 4720. If this might work, could you please contact me? Thanks, Monty

·
Registered
215 Posts
I SENT YOU A pm....

·
Premium Member
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 21 Posts