Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been to a few local farm supply stores (TSC, Princess Auto etc) and noticed a thick black plate of steel full of holes with a short shaft sticking out of both ends. I always wondered what it was for! Click... I was using chains attached to my FEL hooks to haul logs in the bush (backing up) and then it came to me what the funny bar was for. How nice will it be to pull logs driving forward? My question... is a drawbar used for this sort of thing?
I think that I would have figured out what the thing was for if it had been Green rather than black.

·
Super Moderator
5,294 Posts
Yep. You can attach a clevis to the drawbar and use that to hook on a chain. You can also mount a tow ball or attach things like trailer meant of off-road use that have a drop-pin hitch. (A word of warning: The drawbar can spin so it is mean for low speed towing only. If you mount a ball on it you MUST latch whatever you are towing. If you just drop log splitter's hitch on it, for example, without latching, you are likely to get where you are going and find your log splitter fell off somewhere along the way...)

·
Corndog Hater
11,794 Posts
Also remember to keep some weight towards the front of your load if towing something. If you load a trailer and too much weight is on the back, the front end/hitch towards the 3PH is going to come up on you.

Reactions: Rideau

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,132 Posts
Rideau, Keep it as low as you can or you may be doing wheelies (not good).

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,132 Posts
Yep. You can attach a clevis to the drawbar and use that to hook on a chain. You can also mount a tow ball or attach things like trailer meant of off-road use that have a drop-pin hitch. (A word of warning: The drawbar can spin so it is mean for low speed towing only. If you mount a ball on it you MUST latch whatever you are towing. If you just drop log splitter's hitch on it, for example, without latching, you are likely to get where you are going and find your log splitter fell off somewhere along the way...)
A Drawbar Lock prevents drawbar on 3 Point hitch from spinning.
1000786.jpg

·
Corndog Hater
11,794 Posts
Reactions: Rideau and Gizmo2

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Three Point Hitch caution

I have been to a few local farm supply stores (TSC, Princess Auto etc) and noticed a thick black plate of steel full of holes with a short shaft sticking out of both ends. I always wondered what it was for! Click... I was using chains attached to my FEL hooks to haul logs in the bush (backing up) and then it came to me what the funny bar was for. How nice will it be to pull logs driving forward? My question... is a drawbar used for this sort of thing?
I think that I would have figured out what the thing was for if it had been Green rather than black.

DO NOT tow a load with the three point hitch drawbar high. If you have the drawbar above the axle level, you will not only do wheelies but may find your self upside down and backwards with the tractor on top of you! Always make sure you tow a load with the hitch point below the axle. This includes drawbars, trailer hitches etc.

Many a person has been hurt or killed by hitching too high and trying to pull a stump or other unmoving load.

Treefarmer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts