Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
CyberShanks:

Please tell me about the three speed transfer case in your Jeep.

Thanks,
Don

Senior GTT Super Slacker
:munch:

Registered
Hahahahaha. Hey, guess what? I'm gonna tell ya about my 3 speed case. ;)

It's a Stak 3 speed monster box. Aluminum case that's ~1.5" thick with all gear internals. Weighs in at just over 250 lbs and has 3 shifters. Front axle, low range, and rear axle. The 3 ratios are 1:1, 3:1, and 5.44:1. With the sticks for the axles it goes low, neutral, high. The stick for low range just selects 3:1 and 5.44:1.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Rest of the Jeep has extreme duty parts in it. Running Solid Mfg high pinion full float Dana 60 crate axles front and rear, both with 5.38 gears, 35 spline chromoly axles and ARB lockers. Clayton suspension custom long arm kit with Fox racing 14" travel coilover at all 4 corners.

Want to know any other details, just ask.

Jim

Registered
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395362740.942251.jpg

Here's a pic of it shortly after a rebuild. It pooped a couple bearings on me a couple years ago.

Jim

Reactions: mjncad

Registered
For anyone else interested in Jeeps, or wheelin' in general, here's a buildup of what I have today:

01 ton TJ - JeepForum.com

Heads up, it is EXTREMELY long..

A brief bit of history. CMoore is a good buddy of mine that used to live in Washington state, he moved to Iowa ~6 or so years ago. I at the time had a '98 TJ that was pretty heavily built but nowhere near 1ton. CMoore and I spent about 1/2 a year turning his rig into the 1ton setup that it is today. Search "Corn To Coast" on Youtube and you'll find videos by CNCMoore of one of our favorite trips. He then moved out to Idaho and his family got bigger and no longer fit in a TJ. I literally turned about as many wrenches on his rig as I did on my own and decided to jump on it when he put it up for sale. Since acquiring it I have blown up the transfercase a time or two, rebuilt all the coilovers, changed some of the suspension out anddialed in things a bit more. Also completely changed the interior for suspension seats, added and then removed a soft top (won't do that again...) and am currently building a much stouter cage for it. It currently needs a new set of shoes and boy let me tell you, they do NOT give 40" Iroks away, wish they did...

It is truly a one of a kind rig, it's been in Crawl magazine a few times over the years in various forms and has wheeled all over the country, both with CMoore behind the wheel and myself.

I own IA4x4.com and it has turned a bit stale here in central Iowa. Seems like a lot of people are turning in their rigs and going to side-by-sides for some ridiculous reason. I'm keeping my Jeep and will be slowly finishing things up on it for awhile over the summer.

It truly is a fun hobby for just you or the whole family. If anyone is interested, just let me know cause I can talk for hours on the subject. :lol:

Jim

Reactions: ejb69

Premium Member
'05 TJ.

If I could go back in time, would have never sold it.

Chance to move back to the desert southwest and do another one... in a heartbeat.

Only other thing that comes close to a good tractor.

There WILL be another one!

Attachments

Reactions: CyberShanks

Registered
Nice rig ya got there. If I was to build one today I'd try very hard to find an LJ to start with. My current rig is sitting at 102.5" wheelbase. Sometimes that's a bit long and the turning radius sucks with 40s.

Jim

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info. I never heard of a three speed transfer case. Quadratrac, old Dana - those I know about. I like Jeeps, even though the only one I have now is a 1950 Jeepster. I have been around them for most of my life and still have a soft spot for them.

Registered
has 3 shifters. Front axle, low range, and rear axle. The 3 ratios are 1:1, 3:1, and 5.44:1. With the sticks for the axles it goes low, neutral, high. The stick for low range just selects 3:1 and 5.44:1.
So theorically you could have the Rear Axle in low and the Front axle in high because they have their own stick which I assume bad things would then happen

Registered
It would be nice if a 3 speed transfer case was at least optional in all 4x4's.

I don't really do any hard core off roading. But, I do spend a fair a mount of time on the forest "roads" of northern Wi. At times 4-hi is too high but 4-low is way to low .

Registered
So theorically you could have the Rear Axle in low and the Front axle in high because they have their own stick which I assume bad things would then happen
It's a theory that is prevented internally. You can do front wheel drive both high and low though. Front digs are awesome.

Jim

Reactions: rtgt and DRobinson
1 - 13 of 13 Posts