Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I downloaded the 1025r manual to my IPad and pick different things to read. I am not a tractor guy by birth so all new. i have had tractor all summer. Today I read that starting throttle should be half way. I have never done that. I alway started it in the lowest setting. Am I missing something here? I know basic stuff. But I’m learning. The other thin is can you toggle your hour meter to read mph? The display shows mph in he book. I don’t know how to do that. Fun stuff

·
Premium Member
14,350 Posts
If your tractor starts at minimum throttle go ahead and start it that way. In cold weather it may take a bit more throttle to start. I think the manual is simply giving a starting throttle position that will work in all conditions.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I’d be wary of constantly starting with the throttle up. It takes a moment, ok, a few moments for viable oil lubrications to get to where it needs to go. Firing up at 2200-2300 rpm (or whatever you “guess” mid throttle is) would become very detrimental over a relatively short period of time.

·
Super Moderator
3,146 Posts
I've never had to start at anything but lowest throttle. There should be no need to.

A 1025 can't toggle to read MPH, unless that's something new for 2020. It will toggle to PTO RPM when the PTO is engaged. It shows mid-PTO RPM if in the mid only or both selection, or Rear-PTO RPM if in the rear only selection.

Reactions: jimmylh

·
Registered
901 Posts
The idea behind starting with the throttle advanced is to get more fuel into the cylinders to increase the compression to make it easier to start. I always start my 4720 the first time this way regardless of the season.

·
Premium Member
15,740 Posts
Have always started mine at idle ,, may give it a try if I remember. After 18 yrs of doing it the old way , will probably forget.

·
Premium Member
10,634 Posts
The idea behind starting with the throttle advanced is to get more fuel into the cylinders to increase the compression to make it easier to start.

What he said../\ /\....

If your machine doesn't need the extra throttle to start and run, leave the throttle setting low.

Keep in mind that the engine is sitting there with all of the oil drained down into the oil pan. The oil pump turns when the camshaft turns with the engine cranking with the starter, then at a much higher volume when the engine starts, pumping oil through the engine.

Assuming normal temps and oil viscosity, it takes a couple of seconds to get oil everywhere its needed. The slower the engine is turning when the oil is being pushed to all lubrication needs, the less wear the engine endures over time.........

Once the engine does start, if you have a lot of "vibration" or diesel shake at idle, then advance the throttle a little to smooth out the engine. By then, the lubrication is everywhere its needed, so no point in having the tractor sit there and shaking and vibrating if a little more RPM's smooths the engine out..........

But a good question, though.

And its impressive to hear owners actually reading their manual............. ;) (y)

·
Premium Member
10,634 Posts
A 1025 can't toggle to read MPH, unless that's something new for 2020. It will toggle to PTO RPM when the PTO is engaged. It shows mid-PTO RPM if in the mid only or both selection, or Rear-PTO RPM if in the rear only selection.
I don't even toggle and should probably read the manual myself......

Nah, I will just ask Kyle. He always knows.....(y)🎄⛄

·
Super Moderator
3,146 Posts
I don't even toggle and should probably read the manual myself......

Nah, I will just ask Kyle. He always knows.....(y)🎄⛄

I'm no where near as good as others on here

·
Registered
253 Posts
I downloaded the 1025r manual to my IPad and pick different things to read. I am not a tractor guy by birth so all new. i have had tractor all summer. Today I read that starting throttle should be half way. I have never done that. I alway started it in the lowest setting. Am I missing something here? I know basic stuff. But I’m learning. The other thin is can you toggle your hour meter to read mph? The display shows mph in he book. I don’t know how to do that. Fun stuff
Yes, put it at 1/2 throttle. Learned this maybe 40 years ago with our first Benz 220D. Only one that didn't need it has been the VW TDI.
Leave the throttle at 1/2 until the stumbling stops and then take it back to avoid having it go too high in rpm. The gem Isuzu auto starts at around its running speed of about 1600 rpm. Of course, that's what some of the 1025Rs were set at, but it needs to be set higher for cold starts.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Yes, put it at 1/2 throttle. Learned this maybe 40 years ago with our first Benz 220D. Only one that didn't need it has been the VW TDI.
Leave the throttle at 1/2 until the stumbling stops and then take it back to avoid having it go too high in rpm. The gem Isuzu auto starts at around its running speed of about 1600 rpm. Of course, that's what some of the 1025Rs were set at, but it needs to be set higher for cold starts.
I started at idle for the first couple of years and then read that and started mid throttle since. If they say it is the proper way, who am I to argue?

I can say that for me, starting mid throttle seems to greatly reduce the vibration and the initial smoking at start up.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
I start mine on idle -- never a problem.

rob

·
Premium Member
14,350 Posts
I found it even odder than upon starting the manual instructs to run at 1/2 throttle for 1-minute.

Reactions: keane

·
Registered
187 Posts
It looks as if the user manual recommended starting procedure is designed to reduce emissions, and allow Deere to meet the mandated requirements when a tractor is tested.

You can start the tractor any way that works for you, but Deere would probably recommend jump starting in reverse at full throttle while rolling down a hill if it lowered emissions at startup to meet the federal emissions requirements.

·
Premium Member
10,634 Posts
No question increasing the idle speed slightly after the engine starts will reduce the "Shake, Rattle and Roll" of the little diesels. But 1/2 throttle for a full minute? Not on my machines...............

Reactions: kylew and jgayman

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Mine never cranked over more than twice on lowest setting. You want it starting slow as it does not have oil pressure immediately. Also starts and runs more smoothly than mid throttle. John Deere is so FUBAR with their manuals it is not funny... dumping more fuel in only cools the cylinders after the glows heat them. Washes down the little oil that clings to the cylinder walls too. Low idle. Always.. with the PTO engagement too.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
591 Posts
The idea behind starting with the throttle advanced is to get more fuel into the cylinders to increase the compression to make it easier to start. I always start my 4720 the first time this way regardless of the season.
Most Diesel engine fuel injection pumps have a built-in "overfueling" mechanism (governor) to get more fuel injected at startup. Have you noticed when starting a Diesel engine, when it first starts it revs higher for a few seconds and then returns to idle? Also, the puff of black smoke at startup?

I cringed each time I started my JD 4455 (large farm tractor). It would rev to over 1500 rpm with much black smoke then quickly returned to normal idle.

Best to start it at the low idle throttle setting as long as it starts easily.

Reactions: 330_D

·
Registered
901 Posts
I'm following the manual for my 4720 which calls for starting with an increased throttle setting.

Reactions: Oscar Leroy

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Most Diesel engine fuel injection pumps have a built-in "overfueling" mechanism (governor) to get more fuel injected at startup. Have you noticed when starting a Diesel engine, when it first starts it revs higher for a few seconds and then returns to idle? Also, the puff of black smoke at startup?

I cringed each time I started my JD 4455 (large farm tractor). It would rev to over 1500 rpm with much black smoke then quickly returned to normal idle.

Best to start it at the low idle throttle setting as long as it starts easily.
Mine never jumps the tach up that I've noticed. Starts much better on low idle. To each his own.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts