Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of assessing the new plow that Dave recommended to me, I have found a few pieces that are wore and some that are broken. Its to be expected since its a 60 year old piece of equipment.

So I tore apart the hubs since the furrow wheel was a bit sloppy. There are no bearings in this, just bushings (I will take pictures later). The bushings have been NLA for some time.

JD parts has been great for this. I can get the part numbers for anything and see how things were put together and even find out what i am missing.

First I ordered some shims. They were an odd size and it was easier to order from my dealer. They had to order them, but I can get them today. Yesterday, I called about the hub bearing since mine is broke. I thought i would ask, just in case. They did a search over the US and found one in Iowa. They gave me the number to the Iowa store (Barker Implement) and I called. They had the part and it was in a pallet box ready to go to scrap. They found it for me and it will be here tomorrow. Pretty sweet! What other company will give you a parts list and might stock a part for something that has not been made since the 1950's!

Very Sweet to be able to get it although I doubt I will use it. I spent a little time last night with a machinist who is going to make some custom ones for me to make up for a few spots that are wore for me. Its cool to think I found the last hub in a JD store for this plow.

I hope Deere keeps this up as it is great for working on their equipment!

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
That is reassuring to hear, we can feel good that we will have parts for our machines as they get older. Of course, it sounds like you had a little luck involved as well.:good2:

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
Yep...that is why we pay a little more for Green:good2:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I get razed for "paying a little more for Green" by in-laws (they buy red) and co-workers. My dealer is only 10 miles away but I hardly ever go that direction. When I stopped in for a couple of filters and they didn't have everything in stock I told them just to ship em to me. Next day or so I get home from work and there they are in a paper JD parts bag by my garage door. NO extra charge. That's the kind of thing that builds customer loyalty in my book!

·
Registered
733 Posts
My thoughts exactly... Heck my FIL can still get parts from the dealer for his 1952 420C (I think its a '52, its around there anyways)...
Not cheap dont get me wrong, but expensive parts are better then NO parts.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
I like JD Parts web site, and use it almost exclusively for my parts needs. I wish other manufacturers had such a good web site. Are you listening Ford and Honda?

·
Registered
733 Posts
I like JD Parts web site, and use it almost exclusively for my parts needs. I wish other manufacturers had such a good web site. Are you listening Ford and Honda?
I've often wondered why not EVERYBODY has a similar site...or heck, at the very least GIVE away Parts Catalogs with the purchase of anything built with parts, LOL. They only stand to make sales, and if anything, helps out at the dealer. My parts man LOVES me...walk in with a printed out list, only business question he asks is "Stock order?"
Agco & CNH have joined the fray...believe me when I say it, the JD one is FAR Superior to the CNH version...but at least they have it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I do that too Dave, my dealer is 70 miles away, I send the parts man the list and he calls me when he has everything. At that point I decide whether to pick it up or have him send it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts