Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a used John Deere 9 coil shank Ripper/tiller that can be category 1 or 2. 8 ft wide. Grass Plant Soil Green Public space Grass It has 9 shanks, however, each are removable and are adjustable. I have owned one just like it for over 30 years and it is one of my "go to" implements when I need soil penetration and don't have time to plow and disc a field. If you cant pull 9 shanks, you can loosen 1 bolt on each shank and remove as many shanks as you need to make it compatible with your HP. The machine has Alfalfa points on it now with good life left in them. Ken

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
9 shanks it pretty serious. How much HP per do you recommend? 15 hp each?

D.
It is one of those implements where soil type and condition play a major role. 45 hp can pull all 9 in garden type soil that was worked last year. Pull of 2, if in a packed sod, clay field. Makes a nice 3 row laying off plow for the garden and then reconfigure the shanks and it makes a nice 2 row or 1 row cultivator. Ken Sweet

·
Registered
213 Posts
It is one of those implements where soil type and condition play a major role. 45 hp can pull all 9 in garden type soil that was worked last year. Pull of 2, if in a packed sod, clay field. Makes a nice 3 row laying off plow for the garden and then reconfigure the shanks and it makes a nice 2 row or 1 row cultivator. Ken Sweet
I need more stuff laying around here. :)

Did you repaint it?

D.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I need more stuff laying around here. :)

Did you repaint it?

D.
D, We did repaint it. It has Cat 2 pins in it now facing outward, however, we can put cat 1 pins in and turn those inward to get the right spacing. So it will work cat 1 or 2. Ken

·
Registered
430 Posts
Ken,
That was a nice ripper from what I could see. Curious if you are familiar with the older Deere #11 cultivator. I would think it is similar to the Frontier three point cultivator currently offered. Years ago my dad bought a Do it all spring tooth implement that seemed to have heavier coiled shanks with an extra coil loop in the spring. Very usefull tool, could rake up debris and would allow the teeth or rippers to flex over stumps, could cultivate and penetrate about 6"s deep.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts