Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at the current offering for a 48" Tiller at TSC. The specs say they adjust from 1-4". Is that all the depth you can get with these? Am I missing something?

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,279 Posts
I am looking at the current offering for a 48" Tiller at TSC. The specs say they adjust from 1-4". Is that all the depth you can get with these? Am I missing something?
That is the shoes, they adjust 1 to 4 inches. Like Tonton said you will get at least 7". My tiller says 6 to 8 inches. 7" is a nice round number and probably more right.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
That is the shoes, they adjust 1 to 4 inches. Like Tonton said you will get at least 7". My tiller says 6 to 8 inches. 7" is a nice round number and probably more right.
I wish those tillers went deeper, my 30" tiller on the 345 goes 6"

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So to get the max depth, I would raise the shoe to the upper limit or just remove it?

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,279 Posts
So to get the max depth, I would raise the shoe to the upper limit or just remove it?
10-4... either way works. I leave mine on just for protection. It would probably go deeper if I took them off.

·
Corndog Hater
11,794 Posts
I also adjust the rear gate to a more horizontal position. That, coupled with moving the shoe up will greatly increase depth. I think tonton and Levi's estimates of 7" or so is right on.

Reactions: Levi and Marlin

·
Corndog Hater
11,794 Posts
I just go slow and get nice fine tilled soil. Maybe it's just my soil? I have 12" of beautiful topsoil then all clay below that.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I just go slow and get nice fine tilled soil. Maybe it's just my soil? I have 12" of beautiful topsoil then all clay below that.
Likely so. We have hard clay right below the surface, so I did some work to get mine where it tilled well:

1. Tilled down 3" and removed that layer with the loader. This part was the longest as I had to go over the entire garden about 5-6 times to get it down to 3".
  2. Hauled in a 3 part mixture of sand, shredded topsoil, and compost and spread that over the garden
  3. Tilled again down as deep as the tiller would go to mix it all together
After that, when walking on the garden, it is really soft. I'm thinking the underground foods (potatoes, carrots, etc) are going to thrive.

It's also important to note that you should till in two directions, with the second direction being perpendicular to the first. That did wonders for mine.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Likely so. We have hard clay right below the surface, so I did some work to get mine where it tilled well:

1. Tilled down 3" and removed that layer with the loader. This part was the longest as I had to go over the entire garden about 5-6 times to get it down to 3".
  2. Hauled in a 3 part mixture of sand, shredded topsoil, and compost and spread that over the garden
  3. Tilled again down as deep as the tiller would go to mix it all together
After that, when walking on the garden, it is really soft. I'm thinking the underground foods (potatoes, carrots, etc) are going to thrive.

It's also important to note that you should till in two directions, with the second direction being perpendicular to the first. That did wonders for mine.
Good tips here. I'm afraid I'll be doing similar to yourself, as we have a hard packed clay just below the surface and I am moving the garden to the back forty this year. I'll know soon how much soil I'll be removing and rehabbing. I decided to run the plow through next weekend to get a good look at things (and find the rocks). I plan on tilling afterward then possibly removing the top layer as you did or just adding sand and compost then re-tilling. Either way, I will be adding a silt fence along the creek area to catch eroded top soil before it goes downstream.

·
Corndog Hater
11,794 Posts
Thanks for mentioning that because that does indeed make a huge difference:good2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts