Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, I have the 1023E, I was about to buy the Tarter 48” model Black Rotary Tiller, RTMB4 from Tractor Supply, however I was told my tractor does not have enough PTO HP to run it? How much does PTO HP play into the picture? They wanted to sell me another chain drive model instead of this gear drive model and it was more expensive! Seems anything that say Sub Compact” is now more expensive!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
You can run a 48 inch tiller fine. Worse case, if your ground is really hard, might have to go over it twice. A lot of people use 54 inch tillers on their 1 series. Talk to Levi, I think his tiller is pretty large, might be misremembering though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I run the 60" County Line (Tarter) on my 1025R, and have it set for reverse. The only time I have an issues if its really wet (and I shouldn't be tilling anyway.)

You'll be fine with the 48" on the 1023R.

Scott

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Pat(Pjr832) had a tiller on a 1023 if I remember right before he got the 2025. I don’t remember any complaints from him about it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Another thing to look at chain drive is usually 4 tines per gang and gear drive are 6. With the 6 it takes 30% less horsepower because it takes smaller bites but more of them. Got a 48 gear drive on my 1025 and it plsy's with it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, it’s what I was thinking too. So if the tiller recommendation is 20 PTO HP and my tractor is rated at 15 PTO HP does it just run slower or not enough torque to spin the tiller faster? Will it heat up and damage the tractor PTO gears? Thanks in advance !

·
Registered
12,279 Posts
Pat(Pjr832) had a tiller on a 1023 if I remember right before he got the 2025. I don’t remember any complaints from him about it.
Sure did, my 1023 ran that 48" with no issues whatsoever, and that was a Tartar (County Line) from TSC.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't think I'd listen to anyone at my local TSC about what my tractor can do. There's some good and helpful people there that seem to know about chickens and dogs, but not sure any of them have been on a tractor. Maybe you have a different breed at your TSC.

I run a 48" gear driven tiller just fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PTO Shaft

I don't think I'd listen to anyone at my local TSC about what my tractor can do. There's some good and helpful people there that seem to know about chickens and dogs, but not sure any of them have been on a tractor. Maybe you have a different breed at your TSC.

I run a 48" gear driven tiller just fine.
Great to hear! Did you end up shortening and cutting the PTO shaft?

Thanks, Rick

·
Registered
12,279 Posts

Thanks, Rick
I use an iMATCH and I did end up cutting a little off the PTO shaft, not sure on the exact amount but maybe 2".

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
The more I read about the 1023 and 1025 they are being portrayed as an underpowered subcompact. Can't figure out why, the x595 and x748 basically are the same and can handle some of the same attachments. My x595 (from what I've read) has 18 hp pto. The guy has a 50" reverse tine tiller.Seems to handle it just fine.:dunno:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great!

I use an iMATCH and I did end up cutting a little off the PTO shaft, not sure on the exact amount but maybe 2".
That is Great to Hear, I have the iMatch as well. I'll get the tiller I was looking at the Tarter standard gear drive 48" $1500 model. Not the designed for sub compact $1800 model!

Cheers! Rick

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Outstanding!

The more I read about the 1023 and 1025 they are being portrayed as an underpowered subcompact. Can't figure out why, the x595 and x748 basically are the same and can handle some of the same attachments. My x595 (from what I've read) has 18 hp pto. The guy has a 50" reverse tine tiller.Seems to handle it just fine.:dunno:
A picture (Video) is worth a thousand words! There's the proof right there! Thanks, soooo Much!

Cheers, Rick

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Well I couldn't resist.....

Heres the same guy plowing the plot

·
Registered
151 Posts

Thanks, Rick
No, the shaft that came with mine is telescoping and it works fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts