Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at purchasing a new tiller for my 3520. a local dealer has some really good prices on LS tillers (King Kutter) , says you can not roto till snow in NY.

Question is 60 inch or 72 inch?

·
Registered
892 Posts
I really like my 60 inch king kutter. Chews the ground like an animal. Width is same as the tractor, I wouldn't want wider.

Jim

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
width vs hp

I really like my 60 inch king kutter. Chews the ground like an animal. Width is same as the tractor, I wouldn't want wider.

Jim

internet tells me 3005 is 27.5 hp, 3250 is 37, i wonder if the extra horse power would cover the extra width.
how do you like the KK in general? I looked at the JD, but it was almost twice as much, with the LS/KK dealer near his cost and the JD dealer holding his summer price.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I'm showing you have 6 more PTO hp and I am not powering a hydro transmission, probably a wash. With that said, I don't really have lack of power with the 5' wide though. It will till max depth the first time thru. I liked the width match to the tractor, not sure what obstacles you are going to till around. $.02

King Kutter is built like a brick, pretty sure this is the last tiller I'll ever have to buy, more than likely my kids too.

Jim

·
Registered
892 Posts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417966036.748850.jpg

Here's a pic of mine.

Jim

Reactions: Brians2032R

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I have run a 5' KK tiller on my 2520 for the past 7 years.. Yea, I can lug it down if I try but most of the time it plays with it.. I once in a while will put it on my 2305, let the smoke roll!!

3520 should play with a 6'er IMO..

·
Registered
287 Posts
Depends on your ground. I ran a 71" on my 3520. Most of my soil is black loam so it really doesn't work like it would in clay. I moved up to the JD 681 81" tiller when I got the 3720. The 3720 struggled with it. The 4720 has no issues with it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Your soil type and conditions will play a big part in how big a tiller you should/could usually run. I used a JD 660 (60 inch) tiller behind both my JD 970 (30Hp @ pto) and my JD 110 TLB (33Hp @ pto). Very good results and neither tractor had any difficulty to the extent that I was concerned that the pto clutch pack would prematurely wear out.

However, I upgraded to a Frontier 1270RT (73 inch) gear-drive tiller and tried it with my JD 110. Too much tiller... Not enough tractor!

Long story-short; it's better to have a "margin of power" that favors the tractor. No long term benefit to push your tractor to the max every time you hook the tiller up!

AKfish

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
For me....tilling is a great pleasure. I have a 2520 with a 60" KK and it does great. It does too good though as it gets the job done too soon. I wish I had a smaller tiller so the job would last longer :laugh: Just get one that will cover your tracks and you'll be more than pleased and will have more seat time!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts