Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are several informative threads about King Kutter tillers, including some discussion of the XB series for sub-compact tractors.

I have been leaning toward the XB for the following two reasons:

1) The lower lift pins on the XB should allow the 1-series to lift it higher off the ground (so that it won't drag when I need it raised).
2) The XB is centered behind the tractor rather than offset. The King Kutter II 4' model is offset.

I now have the opportunity to buy a very slightly used King Kutter II. I'm wondering if I should go for it, or hold off for a new XB on sale (hopefully later in the spring).

I'd like to hear from current King Kutter II / 1-series owners. Does the offset tiller prevent it from covering the tire tracks? How high can the 1-series lift the King Kutter II off the ground?

I haven't seen much discussion on these two specific questions, so I thought I would ask everyone's opinions.

·
Corndog Hater
11,794 Posts
I have several King Kutter/County Line attachments for my 1026R and none of them are the XB line. I really like all the attachments. They are a reasonably priced line for non commercial use, in my opinion. Sure, it would be great if the tiller and rear blade could lift higher. But it has never been a problem for me. I like the offset in the tiller as it does cover the tire tracks on that offset side. And honestly I don't get much of a tire track on the non offset side even with the R4 tires. I really would like to add a mid range garden tractor to my herd. And at the same time add a 72" rear finish mower for the 1026R and I would definitely give the KK/CL a real hard look because of my overall satisfaction with their other stuff I own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I have the 48" BX tiller, seems to be a good match for my 1026. I wouldn't want a 4' off set tiller on a tractor that is only 4' wide. Isn't the whole point of the 1026 is to fit in small spaces?

·
Super Moderator
5,293 Posts
I have the 48" BX tiller, seems to be a good match for my 1026. I wouldn't want a 4' off set tiller on a tractor that is only 4' wide. Isn't the whole point of the 1026 is to fit in small spaces?
How tight is the average garden bed where someone is most likely to use one of these? It's only offset by about 8" and in some cases, it would allow you to get in tighter to some places that you wouldn't be able to till at all with a tiller with no offset. You can run an offset tiller right up against a retaining wall or garden bed border. To do that without the offset you'd have to rub your tires against that same wall.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The xb is NOT I match compatible... The pins are too narrow. I don't have an I match but I still bought the long cat1 pins to put on it so I wouldn't have to adjust the 3 point arms too much.
Kabic,

Are you saying that with longer lift pins, the xb can be made to be iMatch compatible?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
While I cannot speak for the KK offset tiller, I own an orange 42" offset tiller that works great. I really like that it totally covers left side track. The only drawback is that when you come out to the edge of the garden plot, you have to drive around back to the opposite side (or reverse) to start tilling again in the same direction. IMHO, I'd rather have the offset or slightly wider than a tiller that is exactly the same width of the tractor.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have several King Kutter/County Line attachments for my 1026R and none of them are the XB line. I really like all the attachments. They are a reasonably priced line for non commercial use, in my opinion. Sure, it would be great if the tiller and rear blade could lift higher. But it has never been a problem for me. I like the offset in the tiller as it does cover the tire tracks on that offset side. And honestly I don't get much of a tire track on the non offset side even with the R4 tires. I really would like to add a mid range garden tractor to my herd. And at the same time add a 72" rear finish mower for the 1026R and I would definitely give the KK/CL a real hard look because of my overall satisfaction with their other stuff I own
Thanks for the comment. I've pretty much decided on KK. Seems to be a good value. Just trying to decide II vs. xb.

Roughly how far off the ground can you lift it? Is it just a couple of inches?

Do you think that you could remove the offset by tightening one of the 3pt lift arm's stabilizers to pull the 3 point off-center? Make sense?
..or at least remove enough of the offset to cover the other tire track?

I think if buying new, I would choose the xb. However, I'm still tempted by this nearly new KK II listed at $950.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I can see with the offset one the last pass you will have the tires running outside the garden which in some cases is higher than the garden causing uneven tilling depth on the last pass.. Unless, you till that pass first with offset to edge then start other side working back...

Also the yellow tillers are heavier weight wise which is a huge advantage keeping the tiller in the ground..

As far as clearance, only place I have issues is when loading on trailer. I place PTO selector to mid which leaves the rear PTO in free wheel.. Tiller tines just roll on the ground instead of digging in..

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Do you think that you could remove the offset by tightening one of the 3pt lift arm's stabilizers to pull the 3 point off-center? Make sense?
..or at least remove enough of the offset to cover the other tire track?
I think you will leave a streak thru the garden that dont get filled even with dirt.. Your throwin the dirt to the side.. It may also want to scoot the rear of your tractor sideways a bit too.. Not sure on that but I sure would think it would.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't actually confirm that the lift height is different between the II and the xb. Looking at the pictures, I don't really see any difference in the vertical location of the lift pins.

I have sent an email to King Kutter with this question.

·
Corndog Hater
11,794 Posts
timmarks, I don't think you can adjust the 3ph enough to eliminate the offset (I do understand what you mean) it would be too much of an adjustment. As for lift height, tough for me to remember, 6" maybe. I will try to find a pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Corndog Hater
11,794 Posts
Reactions: Tractor Tim

·
Registered
212 Posts
I originally purchase the 5 ft one. It worked OK but in our clay it bogged my 1026r Down too much. So I exchanged it for the 4ft orange one. It works much better. As you can see I do have it on my knockoff I match. I did have to buy extension pins from TSC.

The 4ft covers my tracks and i can lift it plenty high. Btw. The manual for the orange one calls for some 0 weight oil. I found this on a shelf at TSC next to the 3 pt pins. The staff did not know they carried.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
How tight is the average garden bed where someone is most likely to use one of these? It's only offset by about 8" and in some cases, it would allow you to get in tighter to some places that you wouldn't be able to till at all with a tiller with no offset. You can run an offset tiller right up against a retaining wall or garden bed border. To do that without the offset you'd have to rub your tires against that same wall.
My 4' tiller is wider than my 1026R. With the R4 tires my 1026 is 47 5/8" to the outside of the tires. The 48" KK BX tills a 48" path. Now add the gear box and shoes to that . The tiller is wider than wider than my tractor. I can till within an inch or two of a fence. Even an offset tiller would have shoes and / or a bearing on the outside of the housing, limiting how close to wall it would till.

I did put longer pins on the tiller to make it work with my speed co Q-hitch.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Here's a thread I have on the 48" Hawkline I have. It's been great so far. http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/implements-attachments/7466-hawkline-48-rotary-tiller.html

I haven't done a ton of garden tilling with it, but used it a bunch tearing out sod to make my yard somewhat friendly to my 60" deck. It's a beast! The thing weighs mid 500 pounds so I have to have my loader on to use it. Does a great job. Tears up sod and leaves it looking like it was a garden all along. The slipper clutch is a big help too. I've hooked into a couple things that stopped the tiller and didn't kill the tractor. I was able to shut the PTO off and remove the plug. Once is was a chunk of tree root. Make sure you have your tractor in 4x4! I was taking the top off a high spot once and the tiller took hold of some tough sod. The backend of the tractor started to slide and it was 5-6' before I got my hand on the 3 point to lift it. Your brain thinks brake, but that's not going to help. Plus you actually "Take off" when the tiller grabs. Throws you back in your seat. :lol:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts