Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
12,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:hi:hello out their, how many fellas on here has rototillers for their 2series tractors. who has theirs with I-match? can un's post some pics with them together. how about ur width, if a good price came along on one. would u foreit a couple inches for the less amount of money. would them couple inches really matter. couldn't I just go over the side that the tire ran over, now I know this only possible on a side shift tiller. I have seen frontier who has this side shift, hardly any other tillers has this, couldn't even tell if jd does, by the pics. I have never owned a 3pt tiller. yeah I have a troy-built bronc, I think that's it name, should be if it ain't, first time I sank them tines in the garden at regular soil, man it took me across the yard flying, so I had to plow it first with the old wheel horse and then use that little broncing jigger. I have spent the entire morning sending e-mails across half the country. so hopefull by tomorrow some of them e-mails will start coming back in with if they sold it or still got it. ok long enough-thanks big jim:greentractorride:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
12,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
THANKS, I see u had a I-match on, so pretty much all of these newer tiller company's are making them I-match compatible.
Jim, I would not make the assumption. You still need to do your homework. Mine is a Landpride. I think it is a RTR1258.

·
Registered
12,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, I cut that post off short, had to do some chores outside. yes, I'm going to measure my I-match again for up and across, used to know them but forgot them(measurements) so yeah unless co says their I-match, measure it. but thanks for pics

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have a 1 series...not exactly what you're asking about...and a Frontier 47" tiller that I use with my IMatch. If you want to see it up close once spring gets here, just drop me a line.

·
Super Moderator
8,158 Posts
I've also been mulling over a tiller for a few years. Seems like I always get caught-up in the budget (King Kutter) VS. premium (JD, Frontier, Land Pride, Woods) quandary. Then it's also a matter of whether I'd be better off with reverse rotation VS standard forward rotating tines. My property is hilly, rocky and previously wooded so there's every form of obstacle known to man just underfoot. Big rocks, small rocks, roots and god knows what else. On top of that the soil is poor. So, do I use a tiller to loosen and level prior to reseeding and / or preparing a larger garden plot? Just continue to top dress and fill in the sunken, settled areas of my turf? Buy a tiller and go to town or rent a unit as I have in the past? I did purchase a Heavy Hitch ripper to loosen up an area that needed to be rough graded. It did a good job of loosening the soil, breaking subsurface roots and turning up some small rocks. Also got hung up some fairly large rocks that I ended up digging out of burying deeper and below the frost line.

·
Registered
23,100 Posts
While we used to have a huge garden we just can't do it anymore. Even if we could start one up again I find that spending $2.5k-$3k on a 3-point tiller would be crazy. Yeah, it would be great for the first tilling in the spring and when done in the fall, but I just can't justify that kind of money for 2-3 hours use a year.

The tillers are too big to go between the rows unless you make your crop rows 5'-6' apart. If you space your rows ~30" apart all that ground has to be hand weeded.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
While we used to have a huge garden we just can't do it anymore. Even if we could start one up again I find that spending $2.5k-$3k on a 3-point tiller would be crazy. Yeah, it would be great for the first tilling in the spring and when done in the fall, but I just can't justify that kind of money for 2-3 hours use a year.

The tillers are too big to go between the rows unless you make your crop rows 5'-6' apart. If you space your rows ~30" apart all that ground has to be hand weeded.
Stan,

Tillers aren't just for gardens. I use mine to do my landscaping and reseeding.

·
Registered
23,100 Posts
Stan,

Tillers aren't just for gardens. I use mine to do my landscaping and reseeding.
I can see that. As a matter of fact for a few years there I was doing finish grading and seeing for a local contractor. He was so busy that he didn't want to spend the time doing the final work and just moved onto the next job. I was working with topsoil that was trucked in however which I handled with a rake.

·
Super Moderator
8,158 Posts
I can see that. As a matter of fact for a few years there I was doing finish grading and seeing for a local contractor. He was so busy that he didn't want to spend the time doing the final work and just moved onto the next job. I was working with topsoil that was trucked in however which I handled with a rake.
Grade raking topsoil is one tough job. I remember doing it for 8 hours at a time and could barely straighten up towards the end. No sir! Unless it's a very small area I'm not ever doing that again.

·
Registered
23,100 Posts
Grade raking topsoil is one tough job. I remember doing it for 8 hours at a time and could barely straighten up towards the end. No sir! Unless it's a very small area I'm not ever doing that again.
Sorry - I meant a 3-point rake behind my 2520.......

·
Super Moderator
8,158 Posts
Sorry - I meant a 3-point rake behind my 2520.......
Got it. It wasn't too long before I invested in an 8' York rake as well. Wish I still had it but made the mistake of lending it to my ex-Father in Law.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I agree on 5' for a 2-series.

Also, I don't see any reason for the more expensive tillers. The King Kutter, County Line price point is a great tiller. Here on GTT, I've never seen anyone disappointed with these tillers.

·
Registered
12,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I stand corrected. The weight of a County Line 5' tiller is 638 lbs. Also can be set up for reverse rotation by switching the gearbox around and flipping the tines over.

CountyLine Rotary Tiller, 5 ft. - For Life Out Here
tonton; on ur new tiller, is all the tines the same, like with the curves or should I say the design of them. their is a used king kutter out in ohio for sale. and in the pic their showing, it shows that the one row of the tines appear to be shorter. idk maybe their just wore down that bad. but the other row are all the same length with that curve to them, maybe that was how they installed them back then. it is a used one, no yr in description. but hey it looks real good otherwise, paint not faded bad, no big bangs in tailgate.

tonton; this way overdue to u. I still have not opened my box for the subsoiler I scored from u.it is in my big garage where their is no heat at. should of told u long time ago, I have no excuse for it:banghead: many thanks and sorry it was late coming. thanks a lot. sincerely big jim

1 - 20 of 180 Posts