Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,

I'm looking at two used 48" tillers for my 1025r. A king Kutter xb 48 and a Taylor Way 962 both are close in price. I've found that the 962 is 600lbs is that too much for the 3 point of the 1025r? I've seen in other threads that it was mentioned the two are the same just different names. It seems like the xb is the popular choice have not seen many talk about the Taylor Way. Any info and advice will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
338 Posts
That won't be a problem. I usually leave my loader on when I am tilling and that provides enough ballast. There are front weight bracket options as well, but that is up to you.

Adam

Reactions: Winter83

·
Registered
157 Posts
I recommend the xb for the following reasons. it rotates at a higher rpm than the taylor made and Taylor made back gate will bend if you back up and bind it and the king kutter won't. I have the 54 inch xbx and I can use it without weights and you can make it quick hitch compatible.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I have experience with the KK 54 inch XB as well. No problem with the weight and 54 is better for covering the wheel width of the tractor. Should only be around 1-2 hundred dollars more.

·
Registered
470 Posts

I have a 48" Behlen Country tiller. It is an earlier version (no kick stand) than this one at Amazon.
It weighs 600# so I leave the FEL attached with 5-6 cinder blocks in the bucket.
They currently list it for 25hp-60hp tractors but I have zero complaints using it behind my 1025r. It is 53" wide but that includes the gearbox. I have no trouble tilling the entire track width of my tractor

·
Registered
157 Posts
Not sure what your location is but if you are ever around cincy oh you are more than welcome to come by and try mine out.

·
Registered
280 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the help, based on the answers I went with the xb it seems to be an older model on but saved a good chunk off getting a new one so I can put that money to something else. Figure I'll check and change the oil and grease everything and check the PTO length. And check the slip clutch out. Thanks again for the help

image.jpg

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Thanks everyone for the help, based on the answers I went with the xb it seems to be an older model on but saved a good chunk off getting a new one so I can put that money to something else. Figure I'll check and change the oil and grease everything and check the PTO length. And check the slip clutch out. Thanks again for the help

View attachment 213105
Looks good for an older unit. Not abused.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks good for an older unit. Not abused.

Thanks! I've had to work all weekend but was able to hook it up Saturday after getting the top pin and filled about 5ft of lawn and it was great! Made it nice and smooth only did about 3-4 inches down but it did a great job with the grass and sod looked good to level and reseed just then. The plan is in the fall to do the whole lawn first at that depth then second pass deeper and grade and seed. Then use for the garden.
Altho I'm going to drain out whatever is in the side gear box as it was loud and white milky gook was coming from the fill bolt. So the plan is to suction as much as I can out ( as I do not think I will be able to find the gasket) and fill with new oil and grease All the points, And go over the clutch. I'm excited with this new attachment will make life easier :good2:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
That's funny you should comment on the lubricant quality in the xb you bought. My girlfriend bought a new xb 54 that I am borrowing right now and when she got it and before she used it I checked the lube levels and thought the fluids were lumpy and low quality. Almost like the gears had grease all over them before they added the oils. I figured it was their factory fill and she could run it a year before we gave it the flusheroo.
The thing is bad to the bone I must say, real impressive package for these little tractors.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's funny you should comment on the lubricant quality in the xb you bought. My girlfriend bought a new xb 54 that I am borrowing right now and when she got it and before she used it I checked the lube levels and thought the fluids were lumpy and low quality. Almost like the gears had grease all over them before they added the oils. I figured it was their factory fill and she could run it a year before we gave it the flusheroo.
The thing is bad to the bone I must say, real impressive package for these little tractors.

Yes this tiller seems to do great work! All I can compare it to s a few commercial walk behind barretos and Hondas, what would take two or more passes in grass with them this can do in one!
I took the bolts out and out of the side case came a tan milky oil that must have been filled to the top of the case came oozing out :/ I'm tempted to pull the cover off but don't have a gasket for it so I just hand pumped all I could get think I'll be tilting it on its side to get the rest out. So after that surprise I pulled the gear box ones and all that came out was clear water.:banghead: ( drives me nuts how some people can't even do simple mainence) so got that out so tomorrow will be draining the rest and filling to the bolts with oil. Also discovered this must be one of the first ones as it is chain driven.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts