Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me spend some money...

I plan on adding a tiller to my 2025R for food plots and I'm trying to decide between a 48 or 60 inch version. The only brand around me is King Kutter, and since I have no desire to spend hundreds on truck freight that's what I'm planning on buying.

Wondering if anyone who runs a 2025R has either width tiller on their machine and would care to give some feedback.

I DID try and use the search function first but didn't see anything.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have a 52" Woods for my 2025. It's slow going on the first pass in this hard NC red clay but once it's broken up, it have no issues what so ever.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 52" Woods for my 2025. It's slow going on the first pass in this hard NC red clay but once it's broken up, it have no issues what so ever.

Does it matter what you have hung on the front of the tractor when tilling? I would assume because of the weight of the tiller you'd want ballast? Wondering if you need the FEL left on or if you can get away with just hanging five of the suitcase weights off the bracket on the front. Thanks very much for the insights...

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
I've got a 50" Landpride tiller on a 1025r. The 2025r has the same 18 pto horsepower. My 1025r has no problems spinning my 50" tiller. You will want ballast on the front with the tiller on the back. Otherwise your steering gets light. I usually have 5-7 42 pound weights on the front when using my tiller.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I don't have any personal experience, but I've been researching a tiller this week for my 2520 so I have seen a lot of info. From what I've read, the 2520 can handle a 60" tiller just fine. The 2025R gives up 200# and 2HP to the 2520 so they are fairly close. If HP is an issue (lots of 60" tillers spec 25HP as the bottom end) then consider something like the King Kutter XB line which are specifically made for subcompact tractors. The 54" one might be perfect for your needs.

Interestingly, there doesn't seem to be much online for reviews or comparisons between tiller brands. Probably not a big deal for you since you've decided on King Kutter. I did find that quite a few brands are just rebadged from a very small number of actual tiller manufacturers. There don't seem to be too many features or variations to consider. Forward or reverse tine rotation and gear vs. chain drive are the two I can readily see.

Good luck in your search!

Rob

·
Registered
396 Posts
Does it matter what you have hung on the front of the tractor when tilling? I would assume because of the weight of the tiller you'd want ballast? Wondering if you need the FEL left on or if you can get away with just hanging five of the suitcase weights off the bracket on the front. Thanks very much for the insights...

I've run it one time w/o the FEL on and it was very light in front. I highly recommend ballast of some sort, be it weights or the FEL.

·
Registered
156 Posts
when your tilling most weight is in ground I never have loader on it gets in the way when turning around and you will have your front wheels engage. But best way to find out is personal experience this coming spring

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for all the information. Exactly what I needed. Now all I need is for it to stop snowing!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks everyone for all the information. Exactly what I needed. Now all I need is for it to stop snowing!

snow? what is that? I seem to have forgot what it is after this winter.

My hat would be in the keep your eye on CL or go with the 48 KK (which I run). The 48 will be cheaper and easier to move. You may have to do a half-cut slowly and then go back over it, but it does just fine in Ohio clay. Keep us posted on what you find!

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
When tilling I find it easier to unlink the rear brakes and use them to make steering corrections when making passes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2016 2025 with the frontier 48 inch. So far, no problems with digging fairly deep in NE PA soil. I keep the FEL on and def 4x4. I guess it would depend on the soil whether or not you'll be able to pull a 60 inch. 48 gives me a little more time in the seat and out of the wife's way? Good luck in whatever you get.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ended up buying the King Kutter 60" professional version this weekend. It was on sale and also included a $100 gift card...too good to pass up. All I was able to do was unload it, add the quick hitch pins, check PTO for correct length, and then build a simple roll around cradle for it. Too wet to even think about trying it out. I'll update once I can put it to work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,760 Posts
Nice job on the skid. I am getting ready to make one now and I am glad you put in the photo. Does this rest on the skid shoes? Do you have any issues with it trying to tip when you hook it up?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
:congrats:

Great color also. Hopefully it dries out soon so you can get it dirty.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
:congrats:

Great color also. Hopefully it dries out soon so you can get it dirty.
Though it is green it is not JD green. I was a bit disappointed when mine arrived. I had read some posts and reviews on KK tillers that mentioned this but I hoped it was something they had fixed. Seeing that it still isn't the same shade now I'm thinking maybe JD has a patent on that color for tillers since they sell them and KK had to just 'get close' to be legal. Not a big deal, obviously, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist. :)

Rob

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice job on the skid. I am getting ready to make one now and I am glad you put in the photo. Does this rest on the skid shoes? Do you have any issues with it trying to tip when you hook it up?
I built it so it rests on the skids. I decided to make it so that when setting it on the cradle the skid shoes are fully "up" (for maximum tilling depth). That way it's sitting flat in the cradle and doesn't rock or tip at all. This thing is so heavy I don't know if that even makes a difference but that's what I went with. I attached/detached it three or four times and it worked great.

·
Registered
168 Posts
What size bucket do you have on the FEL, and where did you get the teeth for it?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just an update on the performance of the 2025R when running the 60" King Kutter "professional" tiller...it works GREAT. Very glad I went with the 60 vs the 48 inch version. Tractor handles it easily and it performs exactly as I had hoped. Now if only it would stop raining!!!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Just an update on the performance of the 2025R when running the 60" King Kutter "professional" tiller...it works GREAT. Very glad I went with the 60 vs the 48 inch version. Tractor handles it easily and it performs exactly as I had hoped. Now if only it would stop raining!!!

That green color is pretty darn close. I could live with it.
Or did you repaint it already?

Reactions: PJR832 and 356
1 - 20 of 26 Posts