Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bunch of questions before I buy. Jd quoted me on a 49" Frontier tiller. I am not sure but is this a chain drive. I have clay soil and asked for a beefy tiller, so I don't tare it up. What's my best option for a good tiller for iMatch.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
The JD Tiller, I believe it is the 647(?), is very nice. My friend has one and uses it for his food plot for deer and used it to prep his yard. It does an excellent job from what I have seen. I don't think you can go wrong with it. It is pretty stout. It should have either a slip clutch or shear bolt on it so I doubt you will tear it up. The only knock on the JD tiller I can find is the cost. That special green paint adds about $500 to the cost of it.

I do not think a JD tiller will have an issue with clay. Where you get into trouble with any tiller (at least I have) is if there is a lot of rocks or big roots in the ground. I have an old 35 tiller I use with my 400 and have managed to break the shear bolt only once so far, but I hit a rather large rock when I did it. My soil is nothing but clay. You just have to keep making passes to bust the clay up as desired. Bring a snickers bar and coke because it will take a while. :mocking:

If you are looking for cheaper solution, King Kutter makes one that folks on here have liked. Northern Tool or Tractor Supply are places to look for that or since you list Wisconsin as where you are from maybe Blaine's Farm and Fleet sells that brand? I believe Land Pride makes one as well. With the non-JD brand tillers you will have to ensure it is quick hitch compatible. The specifications do not always say that.

Here is link to the Northern Tool section for CAT 1 tillers and cultivators.

Plows + Cultivators + Tillers | Heavy Duty Farm Tools + Implements | Farm + Acreage | Northern Tool + Equipment

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'd say save the money for more attachments and get the King Kutter XB model and you can make some small mods for it to work on the imatch as many members here have done. One member here is great with making videos on just about everything. https://youtu.be/056uuicU3K8

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
Mills Fleet Farm would be another place to look for the King Kutter tillers. I have a Landpride on my 1025r and love it. Not cheap however but I could roll the cost into the financing which was a big plus. I have clay soil and rocks in my gardens and the Landpride tackles it all without an issue. I've slipped the slip clutch on it a couple times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have the Deere 647. It is a pretty solid tiller...and it has a slip clutch, so you don't need to worry about tearing it up. It did a good job for me digging a garden into hard grassland. I would have no problem recommending it. Like others have said, however, you can get a really good tiller for less money with the King Kutter.

Sometimes it can be kind of a pain to have a lot of good options...

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Jd 647 ?

I have the Deere 647. It is a pretty solid tiller...and it has a slip clutch, so you don't need to worry about tearing it up. It did a good job for me digging a garden into hard grassland. I would have no problem recommending it. Like others have said, however, you can get a really good tiller for less money with the King Kutter.

Sometimes it can be kind of a pain to have a lot of good options...
I have 6 acres of clay soil and a 647 tiller. The slipper clutch is nice, but if you burn it up (my own inexperienced operator stupidity) you may have a probkem. JD sells the whole clutch for about $1000. That's nuts! I bought the clutch disks for less then $40 from Agri-Fab and spent less than 45 minutes changing them out. Would I spend more for the 647 vs the other tillers?
I got it rolled into the tractor purchase deal so it made sense, especially after I looked at the weight. I like more wt on my 3 pt implements. The 1025R can't press down on the 3 pt hitch.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
The 647 gets another endorsement from me, too. Very beefy, and tears through my clay-filled dirt with no problem. I got it rolled into the tractor purchase and was going to buy a new 647, and at the last minute the dealer called to tell me a used one just came in, which they sold me for a great price and rolled it into the monthly payments. Maybe your dealer can offer insight about 647 turnover and if you can get a used one.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
I can say the 647 is a great tiller as I had one. Used it on my rocky soil with lots of rocks, no problem what so ever. When I traded up in tractors I also traded up in tillers as I thought bigger was better. Not always the case as for tillers, bigger also means heavier. I still would have had to trade the tiller because the one I had was a cat. 0 and I traded to a cat. 1. After 14 years my tiller is still as good as new and I do my share of tilling and even though I got rid of a lot of rocks, I still have a lot of rocks. I till every spring and every fall. I had a garden that was 50'x60', 30'x100' and am now on one that is 55'x120'. All 3 of my gardens were made in virgin soil. When I get done tilling you will sink into the soil a good 1½ to 2 inches when walking on it. My tiller is a Curtis I got from my JD dealer. Can't seem to find them anywhere except in my barn.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have a bunch of questions before I buy. Jd quoted me on a 49" Frontier tiller. I am not sure but is this a chain drive. I have clay soil and asked for a beefy tiller, so I don't tare it up. What's my best option for a good tiller for iMatch.
Spike, check out the Mutton Power web page showing the Frontier RT1149 tiller. Yes, it's chain drive... but it's also nearly 100 pounds heavier than the J-D 647... The weight might be handy in heavy clay soil... It shows it's compatible with the Imatch.

RT1149..... Frontier RT1149 49" Rotary Tiller

J-D 647.... John Deere 647 - 48" Rotary Tiller

Not much difference in the prices.

As others have said, the KingKutter yellow 48" tiller is also very heavy and everyone seems happy with it.

Good luck in your search for a tiller!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I brought this home today it is the countyline from TSC. Gear drive 48" and with the coupon about $1250 out the door. It was the only one around, had to drive a ways but very happy so far. Need to get oil in it grease it up. It came unassembled and one of the supports was bent. I am sure JD would have set there's all up for me but this fits my budget better. Once the ground thaws we will see how she works.

Attachments

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
I brought this home today it is the countyline from TSC. Gear drive 48" and with the coupon about $1250 out the door. It was the only one around, had to drive a ways but very happy so far. Need to get oil in it grease it up. It came unassembled and one of the supports was bent. I am sure JD would have set there's all up for me but this fits my budget better. Once the ground thaws we will see how she works.
Looks good. :bigthumb: Do yourself a favor right off the bat. Raise the feet tight up against the sides. I've even thought about taking mine off but it digs deep enough so I left them on.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
What tractor do you have to use it behind? And what are you looking to do with the tiller? Till smaller existing garden, make a new garden from virgin ground, food plot?

I researched tillers quite a bit recently for using behind my 2520. The most common brands I was able to find around my area include: King Kutter, Frontier, Land Pride, Behlen Country, and Countyline. I think Countyline (Tractor Supply's store brand) is made by Behlen. The KK, Countyline and Behlen are all fairly close in price, The Land Pride I found to be about 50% more and the Frontier nearly twice as expensive. You can get into a 60" KK, for instance, for about $1500-1600 during spring sales. From my research the King Kutter seems to be one of the most popular brands and there isn't a lot of negative people have to say about any of the brands. I think this is a pretty basic piece of equipment that will last for a long time if you don't abuse it.

As for chain vs. gear drive I'm not sure there are many pros/cons different between them. I suppose gear driven doesn't have the need for as much maintenance but would probably be more expensive to fix if you did have a problem.

Rob

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
http://www.ruralking.com/king-kutter-54-xbx-tiller-tg-54-xbx-ok.html

I have experience with this unit, 520 lbs, gear drive, slip clutch and easy to make Imatch compatible. Also about $1000 less than the others mentioned. I have run this on a 1023 and a 1025r and the 54" width is easy to make gardens with absolutely no tire overlap on your previous pass.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
If you have clay soil you might want to think about a moldboard plow.Plow your garden up then till it,it'll be less wear on the tiller and pto clutch.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you have clay soil you might want to think about a moldboard plow.Plow your garden up then till it,it'll be less wear on the tiller and pto clutch.
This is what I do, but I use a middle buster instead of a plow. It doesn't turn the ground over as well as a plow would, but as long as I am going to be running the tiller over it, the middle buster does a more than adequate job digging up the garden. At about a fourth the cost of a plow...

·
Registered
167 Posts
This is what I do, but I use a middle buster instead of a plow. It doesn't turn the ground over as well as a plow would, but as long as I am going to be running the tiller over it, the middle buster does a more than adequate job digging up the garden. At about a fourth the cost of a plow...
I agree, middle buster is definitely the way to go before tilling. It has many more uses than a plow at a fraction of the cost and size.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I found a great option on Equipmentland.com. They don't have everything listed and had to call in. I was quoted an RT48 Ag Meier Mohawk tiller at a fair price compared to local dealer. Ill can post pictures when I get it.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
How much? Do you know how much their 60" goes for?

Rob

1 - 20 of 25 Posts