Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a used 2012 1026R to do work around the house and some gardening on an acre. Would like to know which tiller is best for the 1026R? This is My first time owning a tractor. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I bought a Woods TS52 last Wednesday. Perfect size for my 2025R. You really can't go wrong with any brand, just find the best deal. Personally, I wouldn't go any bigger than 55" with your horsepower.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Bought a used 2012 1026R to do work around the house and some gardening on an acre. Would like to know which tiller is best for the 1026R? This is My first time owning a tractor. Thank you in advance.
:wgtt:

I have a Caroni which is one of the available models down here. I bought it used, it's a fine piece of machinery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dealer suggested a Land-pride Reverse till. So that's what I went with. I got the one with the clutch that kicks out if ya get a rock stuck so it won't break. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Tiller

I used to have a 1026 and would not go over a 48" tiller. I currently run a Woods TS52 on a 2720 and it seems to be a good fit.
I bought the tiller just before I upgraded the tractor a few years back and the 1026 would run it but it definitely strained the tractor.

The Woods TS52 has been a great tiller. The tines turn to the rear and it has a slip clutch, which IMHO, is a must for a tiller.

Now if it will just dry out here in Virginia I can put my tiller to use!

Reactions: Levi and DeereNC

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I bought one from the local TS store here a few years ago and have had no problems with it at all. It is the 6' model that I use on a NH 1920 but it has been a great piece and have never had any problems with it. It is gear driven and has a slip clutch and brand new was under $1500 on sale. They list the 4' model now at $1499.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,279 Posts
:wgtt: Don't go over 4 foot as any bigger also gets heavier. I have a 5 foot Curtis tiller and it works great with my 1026 but it's not iMatch compatible so it can get very heavy to man handle on the hook up. Get the best price and make it iMatch compatible.

·
Corndog Hater
11,794 Posts
Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the inputs you guys. Went to look at some tillers at Family Farm And Home here in Michigan. They have two 48" tillers made by King Kutter, one is the XB and the other is the King Kutter II. Both have price tag of $1399.00 each. Which one will be good for the long haul if I'm going to till one acre every year?

·
Corndog Hater
11,794 Posts
Is the XB offset? The KK II is and I really like it for not leaving any tracks in the garden

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I really like my http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/implements-attachments/7466-hawkline-48-rotary-tiller.html and it wasn't real bad price wise. I think it was $1,300. Now if there's a short fall it's the size. It's just as wide as the tractor and I think a 52/54 would be a little better. Mine seems to have plenty of power so I'd assume it'd be fine with a couple extra inches. Just $.02 I'm happy with this tiller though. Nothing really against it, but something to think about. I've used mine for more yard work than gardening. If you have a garden that's tilled year after year you might have no issues with a 60" unit. Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Thanks for all the inputs you guys. Went to look at some tillers at Family Farm And Home here in Michigan. They have two 48" tillers made by King Kutter, one is the XB and the other is the King Kutter II. Both have price tag of $1399.00 each. Which one will be good for the long haul if I'm going to till one acre every year?
The XB will have more ground clearance when raised, but the II will be a heaiver weight machine that will work better in hard ground conditions..

I think in the 48" versions both are offset.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I believe the XB is centered while the KK II is offset. Other than that, I'm unsure of any other differences.

Reactions: ColonyPark

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I have a 48" KK XB. It is centered , works well with my 1026r.

Reactions: ColonyPark and Levi

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
My dealer suggested a Land-pride Reverse till. So that's what I went with. I got the one with the clutch that kicks out if ya get a rock stuck so it won't break. Hope this helps!
:thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif:

Me too! Landpride reverse rotation and you can till sod directly into a planting bed. I would not even consider another type again.

Reactions: ColonyPark

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
My dealer actually talked me out of a Land-pride RTR1250 reverse rotation. I went with the RTA1250 forward rotation on the back of my 1025r. Handles it great. The dealers reasoning for the forward rotation was because of the viney type crops (tomatoes, pumpkins, squash) that I'd be tilling under. The reverse rotation would tend to wrap where the forward rotation would chop it up. He put me in touch with a local vegetable farmer who runs both the forward and reverse rotation. For breaking ground he prefers the reverse rotation, but for tilling under the gardens he prefers the forward rotation as the reverse rotation does tend to wrap vegetation around the tine shaft. I went with the Land-pride tiller as it was 600 bucks less than the Deere 647. I was able to till under 8 foot high corn stalks in two passes with the forward rotation landpride.

As far as width, get at least the 48" to cover the tire tracks unless you can offset the tiller. My Landpride can be offset left or right, but it makes the PTO shaft not straight which i think is important for a tiller. Landpride makes 50" tillers, Woods 52", but I don't think I'd go much wider than that. I have the slip clutch and if you are used to them no big deal. I kind of wish it had a shear pin as the clutch does require some maintenance and I've changed out my share of shear pins over the years growing up on a farm. To soon to till yet this spring so will see if my opinion changes after some more use of the slip clutch.

Make sure you can get replacement parts (chains, tines, sprockets, etc) down the road no matter what brand you buy.

Good luck.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Guess I am an odd ball, I have a Deere 647 and it works very well. Although they are a bit pricey.

·
Registered
396 Posts
My dealer actually talked me out of a Land-pride RTR1250 reverse rotation. I went with the RTA1250 forward rotation on the back of my 1025r. Handles it great. The dealers reasoning for the forward rotation was because of the viney type crops (tomatoes, pumpkins, squash) that I'd be tilling under. The reverse rotation would tend to wrap where the forward rotation would chop it up. He put me in touch with a local vegetable farmer who runs both the forward and reverse rotation. For breaking ground he prefers the reverse rotation, but for tilling under the gardens he prefers the forward rotation as the reverse rotation does tend to wrap vegetation around the tine shaft. I went with the Land-pride tiller as it was 600 bucks less than the Deere 647. I was able to till under 8 foot high corn stalks in two passes with the forward rotation landpride.

As far as width, get at least the 48" to cover the tire tracks unless you can offset the tiller. My Landpride can be offset left or right, but it makes the PTO shaft not straight which i think is important for a tiller. Landpride makes 50" tillers, Woods 52", but I don't think I'd go much wider than that. I have the slip clutch and if you are used to them no big deal. I kind of wish it had a shear pin as the clutch does require some maintenance and I've changed out my share of shear pins over the years growing up on a farm. To soon to till yet this spring so will see if my opinion changes after some more use of the slip clutch.

Make sure you can get replacement parts (chains, tines, sprockets, etc) down the road no matter what brand you buy.

Good luck.

My dealer also talked me into forward rotation. His reasoning was because of how rocking the red dirt/clay is here. In the nice black dirt of the upper midwest, I think would have opted for a reverse rotation having no experience with either. After using the Woods forward tine, I think I'll stick with it as the area of the garden I had let grow over last year looks nearly as good as the bare section.

Reactions: Levi
1 - 20 of 30 Posts