·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a Tiller for my JD 2720.
I was looking at the JD 655 and cannot find any specs on it
IS it Chain or gear drive??
What does it weigh?

I just read on the web that Sicma makes JD tillers is that true?

Also looking at the KK tiller.

I like the Land Pride but they seem to be big $$$

Can anyone give me some advice.

I do not need the 60" width the anything in the 52" to 55" width would be just fine.

Thanks
Paul

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
The 655 is chain drive. It is a fairly heavy duty unit, especially compared to the King Kutter tiller. I do not know the weight and they do not have it on thier site.

http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US..._tiller_55_inch_commercial_duty.page#viewTabs

My father has the frontier 1157 and that is a nice tiller. The frontier models are made by Machio (sp) and they are good tillers. I don't thing they are as heavy duty as the deere ones, but they are nice.

Sorry I could not help more, but I would try to get a tiller that sits outside the footprint of your tractor. Your tires pack the dirt and if the edge of the tiller is too close to the pack from the tires, the tiller will not dig as deep and tend to ride higher in the soil.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tiller

Thanks for the reply.

My outside tire width is 54" and that is in the wide position. So the 55" JD 655 would cover my tracks.

What is better Gear drive OR Chain Drive?

The KK is Gear (which seems tobe better by what I have read on sales talk)
Its also a few $$ less

Price I got for JD 655 is $2300 while the KK is $1750. Both are a LOT of money!!!!

The Sicma looks just like the JD 655 (except for the 3 pt mounts) and is at $1950. Also Chain drive.

Trying to figure what is best.

I will be using this 50% of the time for landscaping projects, I have a lot of Clay rocky soil in the area.

I upgraded to the 2720 this spring, had a 20HP gas tractor with a 33" gear drive tiller with shear pin
and after 26 years useage the only thing I ever broke was tines. I just something larger that wil hold up like that unit did.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Gear or chain...:drinks:

Here is how I see it after owning 3 different tillers.

I wanted a gear drive when I first started looking as they were the talk and supposedly the best. After using them for a while and searching for my second one, I started to think a bit different.

First, the only gear drive ones I could find were the lower end brand names. (I have not looked in a while) So I started to wonder why I could only get a gear in a KK or one that was imported.

Then I thought about hte abuse these things see. They bounce off rocks and hard ground all day. So what happens if a chain breaks? You go buy another chain. If a gear breaks or a gear tooth breaks.... $$... These are not precision instruments that need to have the precision of gears. Also, I don't hear about chains breaking. I have changed the gear oil on my 673 tiller twice and that is one large chain!

So I would not fret about gear or chain. I would buy the best made unit that will take the abuse of rocks running through it and stuff banging off it all day. As you know, for the 73", I chose Deere.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I would agree....chain or gear will probably not make much difference,unless you use it 100's of hours a year. And then, I would imagine the tines will be the big ticket item. The gears in my king kutter 60" are not very expensive if broken (actually pretty cheap)...but I've yet to hear of any breaking. I would've loved to have had a green tiller...the KK paint leaves alot to be desired. But, I only paid 1399.00 at Atwoods Supply a few months ago , so I will probably just live with it. If I get some spare time, I may paint it though,cuz its that bad.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a KK 72 and use it quite a bit. This is my second one. The frame welds on the first one came apart after about 20 acres of tilling. I was using it for field tilling. The current one has only been used for tilling vegetable areas. It works well and I have no complaints. I had a KK 48 that I removed the tines down to 36" and strip tilled for vegetables as well. It too did a nice job. The paint isn't great, that's true...

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I have not heard of the welds breaking on a KK tiller before.

I have probably tilled over 300 acres with my 673 Deere. I use it almost every weekend to till between the new trees I plant, around the outside edges of the farm to kill weeds, 3 3 acre plus food plots and to till three 2 acre plus gardens. I have not had to change the tines yet but I try to avoid large rocks and I pick them up when I find them.

·
Corndog Hater
12,625 Posts
I have a 48"KK tiller that I have run behind the X728 and 2320. It is offset so behind the 2320, it covered the tire tracks. Is the 2720 wider than a 2320? It is a beefy unit and I am very happy I bought the KK for less $ considering it is an attachment I don't use all the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts