Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone has ever tilled there crushed rock driveway?

To remove grass infiltration and condition, I don’t have any type of land plane for the old 430 l&g.

And if so how did it go?

Reactions: TractorEd

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I have pondered this, as I have a 60x60 driveway gravel pad. I think it would beat the ever loving crap out of your tiller, your tractor and probably the operator. I rip it multiple directions, with the box blade scarifiers, then rake it clean and smoothish, with the landscape rake.
Haven't had the balls to try the tiller.

Would like to hear your results if you do try the tiller. Compacted driveway gravel gets HARD!!

·
Premium Member
7,939 Posts
I agree with SRG. My guess you wouldn't go 5’ before you reconsidered. Buy a box blade, it is probably cheaper to buy than the damage or wear you would put on the tiller or tractor.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I use my land plane, We have large gravel area by the house and 1/4 mile drive. now that it is maintained regularly i don‘t use the scarifier, the land planes blades roll the top couple of inches and cut anything growing off. I do it when it is very dry right before storm. plane clogs with wet ground and the rain washes the fines in leavinga nice plant free groomed drive.

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
Ok, I’ll fess up to doing it once or twice. It was for the same reasons of reconditioning and grass removal. But at the time I had a bigger tractor than a 430 l&g. I had a 790 and a 655 pro driven tiller.

Our driveway is over 50 years old, 100 yards long and 12’ wide and had many layers of 3/4 minus gravel added through the years. Tilling went fine. It mixed up the last couple layers of gravel pretty well and made it look like new gravel again. It wasn’t any more difficult than tilling sod to create a garden. Did it hurt the tiller, no. It did dull the tines, but a couple passes over the garden sharpened them back up.

Would I do it again, absolutely not. While it looked great for a few days, the grass I was trying to eliminate came back 10 fold. I just spray it with Roundup once a year now, run the landscape rake over it as needed and when it gets really bad, order a load of gravel.

BTW, the landscape rake does a better job than the tiller ever did.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good to know @JDLTG!
Thank you we’ll close the book on that idea!

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
Thank you we’ll close the book on that idea!
There’s never anything wrong with ideas. I had the exact same one years ago. I’d probably have continued doing it if it didn’t dull the tines and make the grass come back even more. But at the time I didn’t have anything other than the tractor/FEL and tiller. I wasn’t aware back then that you could back blade with the FEL to smooth things out too. My box blade was homemade out of a piece of RR track set on a 45° angle and 1/2” side plates welded to it. Now I have a better choice of implements at my disposal to do everything better. You live and hopefully you learn, at least I’m still trying to.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
I do it after a rain which loosens up the gravel. I set the depth to an inch and go. I have been doing it for 4 or 5 years.

Reactions: TractorEd

·
Registered
717 Posts
Ok, I’ll fess up to doing it once or twice. It was for the same reasons of reconditioning and grass removal. But at the time I had a bigger tractor than a 430 l&g. I had a 790 and a 655 pro driven tiller.

Our driveway is over 50 years old, 100 yards long and 12’ wide and had many layers of 3/4 minus gravel added through the years. Tilling went fine. It mixed up the last couple layers of gravel pretty well and made it look like new gravel again. It wasn’t any more difficult than tilling sod to create a garden. Did it hurt the tiller, no. It did dull the tines, but a couple passes over the garden sharpened them back up.

Would I do it again, absolutely not. While it looked great for a few days, the grass I was trying to eliminate came back 10 fold. I just spray it with Roundup once a year now, run the landscape rake over it as needed and when it gets really bad, order a load of gravel.

BTW, the landscape rake does a better job than the tiller ever did.
Yup, you brought up dormant weed and grass seed which had laid there for a long while until you exposed it to sunlight. I've seen the same thing happen when someone deep tills a plot for a food plot when all they really had to do was scratch the surface to get seed to soil contact.

·
Premium Member
Tator
15,738 Posts
Yup, you brought up dormant weed and grass seed which had laid there for a long while until you exposed it to sunlight. I've seen the same thing happen when someone deep tills a plot for a food plot when all they really had to do was scratch the surface to get seed to soil contact.
I would agree with this, even if you spray with round up (which I would still recommend first) the tiller is just going to spread the tubers, so you're basically reseeding.

I know it's not a driveway, but we put winter rye on our potato field every fall. As early in the spring as we can get in there we chisel it, this exposes the nut grass that has been laying dormant because the rye covers it. Once it starts coming back some we hit it with round up, wait 2 weeks and then work the field again for a seed bed for the potato planting. Point is, tillers are great for their intended uses, but they are also great at simply spreading tubers around creating more unwanted weeds/grass than you originally had.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have a 6'X6' section of chain link fencing I use to keep our driveway level with. My driveway is covered with "Millings" which is ground up blacktop from road construction. It packs in nicely and looks almost like blacktop. Best part is it didn't cost me a dime. A friend of mine in the excavating and trucking business tore up a large section of a parking lot and had to dispose of the material. He loaded up a couple truckloads and dropped them off in my driveway and my son's driveway next door to me.
I spread it out with my 5065 with the bucket and used a lawn roller to do the initial packing. Through the summer I run over it with my chain link fence drag a couple times and it looks great again.

·
Premium Member
7,939 Posts
How thick did you put it down? I am guess the dust is not there but does it pothole, washboard or move around like gravel at the edges?

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
717 Posts
It's about 4" thick in some places, a little less in others. There was no dust whatsoever. It has held up throughout the winter better than the gravel it covered. No problem on the edges. Slight depressions where we drive in and out in front of the garage doors which the chain drag will smooth out quickly. It's packed in tightly enough so I don't throw the material around with my snow blower like the gravel did. Even when I drive my tractors over it there is barely a mark left behind.
The driveway it covered was put in in 1974 when I built my house. I had more gravel brought in when I built my three stall garage in 1982. Between the original gravel and what I put in in '82 the gravel is probably over a foot deep. Drainage here is quite good. I was overdue to redo the driveway anyway so this all came together at a good time.
If my friend has access to anymore of the "Millings" this summer we have plans to build a driveway back to my pole barn which is about 100' behind my garage.
Here is a picture of my tractor and snowblower sitting on the driveway which was taken last fall.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
They do make a tool for that. Make one for an ATV I believe.

·
Premium Member
1025R, '30 Ford, '08 Range Rover Supercharged, '63 MGB, '92 300ZX twin turbo, '73 Courier 2.3 turbo
424 Posts
A chain harrow isn't expensive and can do a decent job on that gravel to pull up weeds and smooth the gravel. And they don't take up much room in storage, either.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts