Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
ElWood, I'm up in southern Genesee county, sounds like we may be near the same neighborhood.

My dream saw would be the 362 w/ a 20" bar. I run a 261 with an 18" bar as its the next sweet spot on the power to weight ratio down the Stihl $ scale. The 261 is awesome on the ash trees I deal with and super light but a big oak or beech makes you know its not in the big leagues. Anyway, below is my land clearing project. Behind me are ~6+ acres already hand cleared - in front another 2 or 3 to go... all looking like what you see in the picture. :cray:

Snow Winter Natural landscape Tree Natural environment

In an earlier experience where heavy equipment was available and the grades weren't so steep, we cut the trees down and removed the good wood (trunks) by hand and left the stumps and the tops. The excavator cut the stumps out and the dozer piled them and the tops for burning. The trunks were bucked and handled separately. It was more time consuming than a big push with heavy machinery alone but we didn't waste much good wood. No approach w/ heavy machinery (other than my tractor) is a reasonable approach for my current project for a number of reasons...

Good luck with your project and saw purchase!:good2:
Matt

·
Registered
230 Posts
It looks like your property is similar to mine. I thought about hand clearing a little at a time but I think I'm going to have the heavy equipment take a big bite out of the area and then I'll come in after with my tractor and grapple.

I'm leaning toward the 362 saw. I'm also thinking about getting one of the specialty chains and bars for dirty wood. I wonder if these chains and bars make much of a difference.
Heh..heh... Those pictures looks strangely familiar .:laugh: We normally refer to our lot as having only "upward potential".

The specialty chains, are your refering to the carbide tooth models? They'll work in crud quite a bit longer but the dirt is still hard on your drive sprocket/bar and the dirt will still wear the chain causing it to need tightening frequently. Dirt is baaad news for saws.

My ash trees have flakey bark we strip if the exterior is dirty. A machete or bark stripping tool is normally on the tractor for such instances (poison ivy removal being the most common use). That may be an option as well.

BTW, thats going to be a beatuful piece of land when you can see the lay of it better. :thumbup1gif:

Matt

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.