Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
That's my plan as well. My buddy is going to use a dozer and excavator with thumb to uproot the trees and push them into a pile. We're going to burn most of the trees and brush but keep the good logs for firewood. I've heard that when you push logs into a pile, you get a lot of dirt in them. Did you have that problem? I was thinking about getting one of Stihl's specialty chains for cutting dirty logs.
A friend of mine did something similar when he cleared his lot for his house. I realize if you just want to get it done and over with, shoving it all into a pile is quick and dirty, with dirty being the key word. :laugh: My friend ended up with large piles of decent firewood, with most of the piles except for the top layer covered in dirt. It was a giant pain to try and cut them with a chainsaw both because of the dirt, and because it was like a giant game of Jenga trying to get logs out without things falling all over and logs getting stuck. We ended up just shoving about half the wood into a pile out back to rot.

If it was me, and I had the time, I'd knock a few trees over, cut the limbs and root ball off, drag the good logs off to a pile, and shove the trash onto another pile for burning. Then I'd knock a few more over, and so on. It will take more time, but if you actually want to maximize the firewood you get from it, that is the best way to do it.

I do have to add that another friend of mine did something similar to what I suggest. It still was a little bit of a pain to cut the logs up, but at the time I didn't have a loader to help. Doing it now I would pull a few logs from the pile as I had time and cut them to firewood length instead of trying to cut them while all piled up.

Like i said, this is if you want the firewood. If you don't care and just plan on burning it all, then pile away.

Reactions: ElWood
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.