Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having trouble with my JD 260 (Kaw FC540V). It'll fire up on ether and then die right away I put a new fuel filter and spark plug on and that didn't help. I verified that I'm getting gas to the carb. I also took the bowl off and sprayed in there and sprayed in the throttle body. I know that this isn't the way to clean carbs, but just wanted to see if it would make a difference.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Does you carburetor have the little electric solenoid below the bowl? You would want to make sure that is powered w/ the key on and actuating. You typically can feel / hear it click when the key is turned on. OEM carbs complete are expensive for these. Aftermarkets are best left in the box.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The main jet is right up through the center of the carb, in line with the bowl screw. Bend your carb cleaner spray tube and give it a good blast up through the hole the bowl screw came out of, and put it back together and try it.

Otherwise, clean it and rebuild it. I agree w/ @tsoleno the aftermarket cheapies can be trouble.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The way i test the fuel bowl solenoid is remove it from the carb.
Attach a alligator clip wire to the outside of the solenoid so its grounded.
And simply hold the plunger down with your finger, it should not retract but stay sticking out.
Turn the key on and it should retract.
If it does not and does not click, then it is a wire issue.

Then i would disconnect the wire coming from the harness and completely remove the solenoid.
Ground the outside of the solenoid.
Attach another wire to the post sticking out of the bottom.
connect that to the positive of the battery and it should retract the solenoid. (ONLY DO THIS FOR 1-2 SECONDS DO NOT HOLD)

If the solenoid does not work, you have 3 options
1- replace the carb
2- replace the solenoid
3- replace with a bolt and a copper washer (what i've always done)

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
Not sure about this/your carb.
Lots of them that have the bolt in the center bottom of bowl........The Bolt will be center drilled with 4 holes cross drilled at the base of the threads. Be sure all those holes are clear as that is how the fuel gets to the center of the bolt where the jet then picks it up. Plugged holes = no fuel to jet.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
I just stripped down my original carb from my roadside find LX188 and did a thorough cleaning and reassembly. I bought a $20 Amazon carb to make sure it ran and moved and was mechanically in sound condition before spending any more time or money on it. The Amazon carb surges a bit so I thought I’d try a rebuild on original. I haven’t had a chance to get it out on and test run it yet. I showed my teenage son how to disassemble, clean and reassemble. He may have some pics on his phone I can add later, it is a real simple carb.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys hit the nail on the head. Even with the solenoid clicking and the plunger moving freely it still wouldn't let me start. Talked to the guys at the JD dealership he said try taking it out blocking the hole and then start it and if that works clip the plunger.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.