Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which should I get? Bias or Radials? Radials cost a little more. Trailer is 5' x 8' w/ 18" tall sides, single axle no brakes. Tire size is 225-75-15

·
Registered
12,466 Posts
Which should I get? Bias or Radials? Radials cost a little more. Trailer is 5' x 8' w/ 18" tall sides, single axle no brakes. Tire size is 225-75-15
well I had Bias on my 16ft land scrapper for the first 13 yrs. they done real good-I thought. so last summer I bought radials for this time around, now it rolls down the road a lot better, other than that, can't add anything else, aw-yeah the radials are more money for sure.:gizmo: I had to buy 4 too. IIRC-mine was roughly $100 a tire.

Reactions: Marlin

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
For that small of a trailer, I don't think it will a lot of difference. However, there is no doubt that radial is better, just not a lot on this small of a trailer. For bigger trailers, radial is the only way to go.

Dave

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I have heard radials have MUCH weaker sidewalls,, and trailer duty can abuse the sidewall.

SO, radial trailer tires have special sidewall construction,,,

Supposedly, you are not to use car radials on a trailer,,,:dunno:

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
12,466 Posts
I have heard radials have MUCH weaker sidewalls,, and trailer duty can abuse the sidewall.

I do believe that mine are trailer tires-only radial, but tomorrow I will recheck. I don't believe my tire shop I have dealt with for let see-um-37 yrs this summer would of sold me car tires and then while I stood there mounted them on the trailer. the reason I say this is because I walked back into the ware house to look at these radials cause I got such a long time out of my bias tires. he had both kinds there, but I chose radials.

Reactions: balrog006

·
Premium Member
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I plan on ST (trailer service tires), NOT car/truck radials. I am looking for D or E rated. I have no problem paying the extra for radials, just was not sure if any benefits.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
For that small of a trailer, I don't think it will a lot of difference. However, there is no doubt that radial is better, just not a lot on this small of a trailer. For bigger trailers, radial is the only way to go.

Dave
I'm with Dave on this. Would they be an improvement? Likely. Will be a big improvement? Much less likely.

So long as you get the proper TYPE of tire, and it's rated for the work it will do, you will be fine. I just don't know how hard you can work a smaller utility trailer to where it would warrant the extra expense. The one thing that you might see an improvement with is empty towing. The bias tires tend to bounce a lot on small utility trailers when there's no weight.

·
Premium Member
14,875 Posts
I've have to check but pretty sure the new trailer has trailer radials and the old trailer had bias. The only reason I'm saying this old was 5x14 new 6x14, the new one seems to pull a lot easier than the old one.
Plus I bought a spare and I did notice the spare was Radial.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts