Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove the 12 miles to one of the area Amish saw mills today for a load of "aged" sawdust. HPIM1245.JPG

Unloaded this load into the big bin this afternoon & will go after another load in the morning. Saw dust is free for the hauling & they have an "english" hired to run their loader, four scoops fills my 16' trailer! ~~ Lowell

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,776 Posts
Do you actually use it for mulch?

·
Premium Member
6,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you actually use it for mulch?
Yes, my vegetable gardens are in the form of beds, not rows, everything gets covered with a couple inches of "aged" sawdust. HPIM2768.JPG

I've used sawdust on this property for nearly 30 years now, keeps the weeds down & holds moisture. I haul it in this time of the year to "age" for next year's use. I add a little extra nitrogen when I work it into the soil in the fall.

Just don't use it up against buildings because of termites & other bugs!!! ~~ Lowell

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,776 Posts
Very nice grnspot110. Adding the nitrogen is a good idea.

·
Premium Member
6,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wheelbarrowed several trips around the back of the shed to dump from the top. Now hauling around the bottom of the hill with the 83-420 & 17P cart. HPIM3112.JPG

What's left will go in the smaller bin, about 1/2 load. ~~ Lowell

·
Registered
148 Posts
That's a lot of sawdust. I like the idea of using it as mulch too and you can't beat the price :good2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts