Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
X495
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a thought the other day and was wondering what you guys thought about it. This year I’ll be snow blowing at my parents with my dads 955 since he needs knee surgery. I was wondering if anyone uses a wifi timer that I could control from my phone for the outlet that your block heaters plugged into? This would allow me to turn it on a few hours before I had to go over and that way we wouldn’t have to leave it plugged in all the time. Any thoughts on whether this is a good idea or not and if you guys do this if you could list which ones you guys use that would be great. Thank you!

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
In the old days they made stupid simple timers for plug ins......like 10 bux....No need for some dumbphone plan or whatever wifi.

Since your thinking and live in cold country I'm guessing.

JD makes a transmission heater as well...fits in the rear where the drain plug is.
Last time I checked they were still avl. for the 955

·
Registered
X495
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the old days they made stupid simple timers for plug ins......like 10 bux....No need for some dumbphone plan or whatever wifi.

Since your thinking and live in cold country I'm guessing.

JD makes a transmission heater as well...fits in the rear where the drain plug is.
Last time I checked they were still avl. for the 955
Yes live in Northern Maine. He does have the transmission heater installed as well and it works well. He used to have issues on his 420 with the transmission freezing up if it got below zero and didn’t use the tractor for a week.

And I was thinking the wifi timer would be nice so I could turn it on at my house before I went to his house and the tractor would be good to go.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
.......I like simple but your plan Makes sense.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Yes.... I used a timer on the block heater of my old JD 855.... The block heater on it was a real tea kettle.. So about 2 hours of timer on was enough to keep it very toasty..

The block heater on our 2032R seems more a cup warmer compared to the old tea kettle heater.. So this heater stays on 24/7 here in the far north...

·
Premium Member
10,128 Posts
I have used manual timers before on block heaters when I drove a TDI so every morning it was ready to go. Just make sure is that it can handle the load.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I have to use my tractor every Tuesday to take the trash out so i have it on a seven day timer which the block heater is plugged into 24/7. It starts the heater at 06:30 every Tuesday without fail. If I need to blow Snow at any other time, I just go in the attached garage and do a manual override about two hours before I go out with no issues. Make sure what ever timer you get can handle the amp draw of the heater. I believe my timer is good for 15 amps. If they make one capable of handling the amp load, go for it, I see no issues and I do love having heat in the cab almost instantly.

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
Using a "smart plug" type device for remotely turning on a block heater has become a very popular and common thing lately for all vehicles, not just tractors. Lots of people use them now for exactly what you have in mind. And not just remotely located equipment. It's a major quality of life improvement even if it's just parked outside the house. The quality of life improvement increases proportionate with the depth of snow, and inversely proportionate to the temperature.

Make sure you buy one that is made for appliances. It has to be a relay type outlet. The ones designed for lamps and dimmers will not work for this.

·
Administrator
22,655 Posts
"Wemo" switches/receptacles were very popular for this years ago

wemo switch

·
Registered
9 Posts
As an experiment I used an Amazon Alexa dot and paired it with a Alexa connected plug. Then I had Alexa to a routine that said to turn on the engine heater whenever it was snowing at my location. Living in NE Kansas we don't get too many days of snow so I didn't worry about it. Only problem is the tractor needs to be within range of the Dot. Worked well for me, but then again, I did it more an an experiment than anything else.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
I have to use my tractor every Tuesday to take the trash out so i have it on a seven day timer which the block heater is plugged into 24/7. It starts the heater at 06:30 every Tuesday without fail. If I need to blow Snow at any other time, I just go in the attached garage and do a manual override about two hours before I go out with no issues. Make sure what ever timer you get can handle the amp draw of the heater. I believe my timer is good for 15 amps. If they make one capable of handling the amp load, go for it, I see no issues and I do love having heat in the cab almost instantly.
I'm loving this idea...Didn't know these existed.

I'll leave the Hy-tech for the rest of you......Its great but just not for me....I'm simple .....Don't want my world to run from my phone or whatever...I can't wait to be done with the phone in a couple years when I call it quits.
Its run my life for way too long and I get No joy from it at all.
I see the value/ coveieance factor....Its just not easy for me and no interest in yet another app/thing/widgit/whatever they are. For those that have "good" phones..and know how to use them.....Lots of great choices listed in this thread.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I'm with the duke, 3G is going away along with my flip phone, I had to upgrade and ended up with a really DUMB phone, it keeps beeping at me for two days, Verizon trying to sell me stuff I don't think I need as I can't figure out what the heck they are, can't imagine watching the disney channel on that little screen, although watching a rerun of Old Yellar might make my day :)

·
Premium Member
9,803 Posts
I ASSUME something like this would NOT work at a location without an internet connection? Like my hunting property, which only has electric, no phone, no internet.

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
I ASSUME something like this would NOT work at a location without an internet connection? Like my hunting property, which only has electric, no phone, no internet.
Right. You would need some kind of internet connectivity and wifi since all these remote controlled outlets use WiFi.

The simplest thing to do would be to add an LTE hotspot to your cell phone plan. You could use that to provide wifi at your hunting cabin at all times. You'd have your remote controlled outlets access, and really anything else you want to remotely control at the cabin which could be useful. Even a little alarm system or whatever.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you use your tractor regularly but not always at the same time of day, you can use the cubes that go on and off at certain temps.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'll leave the Hy-tech for the rest of you......Its great but just not for me....I'm simple .....Don't want my world to run from my phone or whatever...I can't wait to be done with the phone in a couple years when I call it quits.
Its run my life for way too long and I get No joy from it at all.
I'm with you, Duke. Retired in '09 from job with 24/7/365 on call, mobile phone and multiple pagers. Haven't touched one since. I plug in my block heater while I shovel the entries.

• Love
Reactions: theduke
1 - 18 of 18 Posts