Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased a 2038R with 270B Backhoe and looking for a manual thumb. Although there are many available, only (2) that fit the 270B. The JD BLV10023 and Bxpanded for $400-$600. Why? I thought the market would be flooded with these types of thumbs. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Why would the market be flooded with thumbs for a backhoe the market isnt flooded with? Not sure I understand that one.

BXpanded is going to be the lowest cost most likely, but that does not mean they are the lowest quality. Buy with confidence!

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
I have the JD thumb which works very well. My plan is to eventually convert it or switch to a hydraulic thumb.
Sincerely

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I have the JD thumb which works very well. My plan is to eventually convert it or switch to a hydraulic thumb.
Sincerely
Joe, do you have any issue with that pin on the thumb?
Just thinking it could get snagged on something pretty easy while digging.
Maybe its not an issue?

That reminds me...I think Im going to add "Hold on, let me overthink this." to my signature...

·
Premium Member
8,007 Posts
That reminds me...I think Im going to add "Hold on, let me overthink this." to my signature...

I have the 375A backhoe and that I can tell, JD offers the only thumb available. (fixed only, no hydraulic)

I have been looking for a ripper tooth for it as well and so far haven't found one.

While I was at the National Farm Machinery Show I got to chat with Demark Cole from JD. I suggested a hydraulic thumb and a ripper tooth would be nice options to have....

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
Joe, do you have any issue with that pin on the thumb?
Just thinking it could get snagged on something pretty easy while digging.
Maybe its not an issue?

Never had a problem with the pin, ever! Great, now I am jinxed!

Sincerely

·
Registered
1,685 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IndianaJim: I thought there would be more options out there for manual thumbs. I guess not.

HomesteadJoe: Great pics! I gotta get some pics on here! I like the JD thumb you have but I think I'm going with the Bxpanded version.

Thanks to all for the replies.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
IndianaJim: I thought there would be more options out there for manual thumbs. I guess not.

HomesteadJoe: Great pics! I gotta get some pics on here! I like the JD thumb you have but I think I'm going with the Bxpanded version.

Thanks to all for the replies.
What I SHOULD have said was that most thumbs are backhoe make/model specific, and since the 270B doesnt hold a massive market share, there arent likely to be many direct fit options.

It would be great for the aftermarket if they were all similar enough to make one thumb to fit a good number of backhoes, but the manufacturers dont want that, so here we are.
Luckily, some smaller companies only focus on a few brands.
The other option that I dont think Ive seen is a DIY type thumb where you would get a finished thumb end, but the backhoe mount end you would need to fabricate/fit yourself. Theres an idea for someone to try...
Id guess the mount to the backhoe is the least expensive part of that, which is likely why they arent around so much for the smaller ones.

·
Registered
322 Posts
While I was at the National Farm Machinery Show I got to chat with Demark Cole from JD. I suggested a hydraulic thumb and a ripper tooth would be nice options to have....
I mentioned the exact same thing to him. He seemed to suggest that it may already be in the works. What I would really like to see is one like the Woods backhoes have; independent control of the hydraulic thumb with a foot pedal or something similar. 👍

1 - 11 of 11 Posts