Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen several you-tube videos showing how to use the auto-connect deck and some recommended doing it in the grass so the deck wouldn't slide like it does on cement or blocktop. Well, I want to do mine in my shop where there is concrete. I own a Home Improvement company and we sell entrance doors. They come with a sheet of cardboard on each side of the door. I took that cardboard and layed it flat on the concrete and drove the tractor on top of it, lowered the deck with the cardboard under it and then proceeded to drive off of the deck and it never moved and then I drove back over it to connect it and it stayed right in place. The nice thing about doing it on a flat surface like black-top or concrete is that the auto-connect portion will always be in the correct height to line up correctly. I saw one video where the guy was doing it in the yard and he just kept banging it back and forth trying to get it to connect. When I was originally adjusting the auto-connect portion, I could actually roll the tractor ahead by hand and get it click nice and easy. A grass surface could be uneven and not allow a perfect alignment. So if you have had issues with your deck sliding when you drive on or off of it on a hard surface, try putting a piece of cardboard under the deck and make sure you are in 4 wheel drive-low range. It is smooth as glass!!! :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Cardboard sounds like a good idea, anything that provides a bit of traction to the deck/ground. I'm using pieces of coi pond liner (rubber). My problem is finding a flat enough surface to do the deck final adjustments and tuning. Even my shop/garage floor is slanted in 2 different directions to a drain and the blacktop outside looks like Lake Erie during a storm...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Carpet

I'm thinking a piece of carpet may work also...I have several laying around my garage...I am concerned of slipping on cement, I haven't tried the connect disconnect yet...
Hap1025R
1 hour...had .6 when I got it!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just don't do like me! The very first time I connected the deck I had a large piece of cardboard under the deck, drove ov er it and made the connection, checked e verything and it looked good. So now I was curious if the deck was going to be loud, so I hit the PTO switch with the deck still laying directly on the cardboard with the 4 corner wheels still all the way up. At that point there was a shower of cardboard coming out of the chute. Thankfully, it was one big piece of cardboard and it just sucked it upwards and started cutting a circle with the center blade. At that point my underwear was full and the shop was covered with brown cardboard pieces. Not one of my brighter moments!!! :cray:

·
Administrator
20,732 Posts
Just don't do like me! The very first time I connected the deck I had a large piece of cardboard under the deck, drove ov er it and made the connection, checked e verything and it looked good. So now I was curious if the deck was going to be loud, so I hit the PTO switch with the deck still laying directly on the cardboard with the 4 corner wheels still all the way up. At that point there was a shower of cardboard coming out of the chute. Thankfully, it was one big piece of cardboard and it just sucked it upwards and started cutting a circle with the center blade. At that point my underwear was full and the shop was covered with brown cardboard pieces. Not one of my brighter moments!!! :cray:
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

That's a good one!

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Well I guess if the standard by which a knife is judged sharp is to cut a piece of paper than I don't see why cardboard would not be a good analog to test the sharpness of mower blades.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Guys,

My 60D sets in the John Deere room directly on a VCT tile floor. The floor has even been waxed. I am able to drive over the deck and hook it up without dragging it forward provided the tractor is properly aligned. I suspect all dragging issues are associated with improper alignment and/or setup.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Guys,

My 60D sets in the John Deere room directly on a VCT tile floor. The floor has even been waxed. I am able to drive over the deck and hook it up without dragging it forward provided the tractor is properly aligned. I suspect all dragging issues are associated with improper alignment and/or setup.
I agree. I have a smooth cement floor which is almost always very slick with sand, but have never had the deck try to slide on me. I can easily slide the deck forward with my hand but the tractor climbs right over no problem. Aside from improper adjustment/alignment, could problems be tire related? I have R4's and they climb fine. Do the people who have trouble have R3's?

Just a thought as this seems odd to me. Maybe someone who has a sliding deck could post a video of it sliding away so that we can see what is causing the slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Guys,

I think we need to see this "John Deere room". I may want one of my own.:mocking:

Dave

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well I guess if the standard by which a knife is judged sharp is to cut a piece of paper than I don't see why cardboard would not be a good analog to test the sharpness of mower blades.:thumbup1gif:
If that is the test, then my blades are plenty sharp because the center blade hacked a perfect circle in the cardboard. It was a very short seqeunce of events. It went like this: Hand pulls up PTO switch, horrific sounds and the site of flying cardboard chunks, at that moment my brain told me that all 3 blades were flying off, after soaking my underwear with fresh urine, my brain eventually told my hand to shut off the pto switch. This all took place in a millisecond!!

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
I'm thinking a piece of carpet may work also...I have several laying around my garage...I am concerned of slipping on cement, I haven't tried the connect disconnect yet...
Hap1025R
Sounds like you need some seat time lol !!!:greentractorride:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Got some sliding going on on both macadam and concrete. More so than when I first got the tractor. I remembered I boosted the front tires up to around 28PSI for loader work. Could be they are too firm now!?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have no problem with sliding on concrete either....at all.
What I'm wondering is how does everyone climb up on the deck with their tractor.
What I mean is when I pull up to the deck I bring the tires right up against the deck and stop then push the forward pedal VERY gradual till I feel the tires pinching the deck and climbing up.

·
Registered
236 Posts
That should do it

Hap1025R
I have a piece of carpet lying under the FEL when it is not attached, and another under the MMM when the tractor is parked. Both are carpet side up to minimize scratching the equipment, and it is all in the garage. I have never had a problem attaching and detaching the MMM on the carpet.

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
I have no problem with sliding on concrete either....at all.
What I'm wondering is how does everyone climb up on the deck with their tractor.
What I mean is when I pull up to the deck I bring the tires right up against the deck and stop then push the forward pedal VERY gradual till I feel the tires pinching the deck and climbing up.
That's how I do it as well. Make sure I'm in 4WD as well. Once the front tires are over the deck I don't floor it like I've read some people do. Ease into the connection. Deck has connected just like in the Deere videos since I took delivery three years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Cheesetrain,
I agree. I believe it was Mr diesel shadows post. I took his advice and adjusted the mower and tractor so I could use my hand to roll the tractor forward and hook the mower to the tractor. Just with a breath as I like to say. That was last spring. Still hooking up with a breath.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts