Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just bought my first tractor, its a 2640 with ~2800 hrs. It runs really good and everything works right now. Also has an aftermarket loader that works great and no hydraulic leaks or any other leaks ive seen.

Downside is I know nothing about tractor maintenance!! I'm decent with trucks but I have no idea when to change fluids/filters etc. on this thing or which fluids to use. I've ordered the owners manual so I'm sure that will help. But if you guys have some pro tips that you would like to share let me know!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To get a little more specific I am concerned about using these new motor oils in the old tractor.
For example, I found this statement on the JD Plus-50 II oil info sheet:
"– Plus-50 II is recommended for four-stroke naturally aspirated, turbocharged and supercharged diesel engines with diesel particulate filters (DPF), diesel oxidation catalysts (DOC), and exhaust gas recirculation (EGR). Examples of applications include vehicles requiring CK-4 oil, heavy-duty off-road equipment, on-road trucks, marine engines, natural gas engines, pickups, and automobiles"

These modern oils dont have as much zinc, phosphorus or other wear preventives as the old oils. I was thinking about going with Delo 400 30W instead.
https://www.amazon.com/Delo-400-SAE-Motor-Oil/dp/B0097SBCD0/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1506184239&sr=1-5&keywords=delo&th=1

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My '91 model JD 4255 has had JD plus 50 oil utilized in it since I bought it in Feb of '93. Tachometer shows 11,600 hrs on original pistons/liners. I had rod/main brgs(underhaul) put in it at 6000 hrs.
Well most of the changes to oil have been recent (past 5-10 years). Roughly corresponding to the new emissions systems. So the JD oil you bought in the 90's is not the same as you buy today. It may be fine though, I don't really know. They say the modern oils have better anti wear molecules, but modern engines are also designed differently (roller rockers and such) I feel like the old engine may be better with a straight 30W or 40W.

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
This is the place

Hey guys,

I just bought my first tractor, its a 2640 with ~2800 hrs. It runs really good and everything works right now. Also has an aftermarket loader that works great and no hydraulic leaks or any other leaks ive seen.

Downside is I know nothing about tractor maintenance!! I'm decent with trucks but I have no idea when to change fluids/filters etc. on this thing or which fluids to use. I've ordered the owners manual so I'm sure that will help. But if you guys have some pro tips that you would like to share let me know!
I think your last sentence opened the barn door. This group can help you find all the needed attachments, accessories and "nice to have" things that your wallet can stand.

Congratulations on the new to you tractor. There really isn't much difference between tractors and trucks except of course for the hydraulic system. Use the manual, change fluids and filters as recommended, keep the fuel, oil and hydraulic fluid clean, grease fittings as required and things usually go well for a long time. If you want to spend money, this crew will make lots of good suggestions. I might even throw a couple out myself. I'm partial to a grapple for instance. Extra hydraulic outlets are also good because then you could get a top N tilt for the three point hitch. A toothbar and bolt on hooks are good on the loader bucket too, but I wouldn't want to give too many suggestions, no sir.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I would skip the JD oil and use Shell Rotella T6 15w40 oil. It is very high quality oil that is cheaper than the jd oil.

Reactions: BigBenOrr

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I would skip the JD oil and use Shell Rotella T6 15w40 oil. It is very high quality oil that is cheaper than the jd oil.
Yeah I like Rotella, I use it in my trucks. I'm just not really wanting to go synthetic at this point as it can reveal leaky seals. And Rotella has also been changed to meet the new emissions requirements, so less Zinc and phosphorus, but they claim it has better wear protection. I've had good luck with it on newer engines, I just want to be careful about trying new stuff on this old motor.

I think I found what I need right here: https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-SAE-30-Torq-Gard-Engine-Oil-TY26790-TY26791.html

you can tell it doesnt meet the emissions standards because it says high Zinc content. Also the API standard is printed on the jug, its CF which is an old standard. The new ones are CJ-4 or CK-4.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think last sentence should be the answer.
Yeah, of course those "legacy applications" are also conveniently out of warranty. I'm thinking I'll go with the JD Torq Gard, it doesn't seem to be designed around modern emissions standards.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts