Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

We recently had the unfortunate event of having two new Gators stolen from our South location in Fort Wayne, Indiana this past weekend. While we like to think we keep our equipment safe and secure on our property, this recent event just goes to show that some people will go to great lengths to steal stuff from others. We wanted to create this post not only as a heads up in case any of you guys hear through the grapevine of 2 new Gators being dumped on the black market, but also provide some tips for you all on how to deal with *potentially* stolen goods.

We have heard some horror stories of guys on here buy equipment thru Craigslist, forums, newspaper ads, etc only to find out that it was stolen. The biggest problem with buying stolen John Deere Equipment is the fact you might never know it was stolen until you take it into your local JD dealer for some sort of service work. At that point, any JD equipment that comes in for service and has been reported stolen must be confiscated and returned back to the original owner if possible. I think my biggest nightmare would be getting a great deal on a used Tractor or Gator and to take it in for minor service work down the road only to have it taken away from me. Not only are you out that $$ you paid for it, but you must then pursue legal avenues on your own to get your $$ back (if at all). In hopes of helping you all out, we wanted to provide some tips for buying used JD equipment and anything that you might think is a deal "too good to be true"

* If a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is! *
Always do your homework and compare prices of stuff for sale to similar items selling around the US - there are a variety of ways to do this but the GTT forum, eBay, TractorHouse, MachineFinder, etc are all good resources for getting an idea on what an item is worth. You've got access to thousands of JD fanatics just like yourself on this forum, I'm sure there is always someone out there willing to give their own $.02! :thumbup1gif:

* Ask Questions! *
When you are investing money into a new piece of equipment - even if it is used - it never hurts to ask questions before the purchase. Any legitimate person trying to sell equipment will be willing to tell you as much as they know, and if they don't, don't feel obligated to make the purchase. Remember, there is always another used tractor and attachment for sale at some point so never rush into a decision because you feel like you have to.

* Contact your local John Deere Dealer! *
This can be the most important step taken for anyone considering buying a used piece of John Deere equipment - whether its a tractor, gator, attachment, riding mower, etc. By getting the PRODUCT ID # of the equipment, you can then contact any John Deere dealer and ask them if the equipment is stolen or really owned by the person who claims ownership when selling it. Since every piece of JD equipment is registered for warranty and such, there is also information you can find just by running that unique # past a dealer. As a family-owned John Deere dealer who has had to deal with theft issues before, we will always offer to check these #s for you. Hopefully your local dealer will too, but just in case they won't you can contact us at 1-888-284-9606 and tell them you saw this post on GTT.

Hopefully these tips will help you all avoid the pitfalls of buying and dealing stolen merchandise. Not everyone in the world is a good person, but I think with our community of Deere fans on the GTT forum we can all work together to help each other out and make the best of it.

Please feel free to use this thread to add your own Tips or Experiences dealing with stolen property. Who knows, we might be able to help deter future thefts and illegal sales by making each other more aware of the risks involved with dealing with stolen property!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
39,612 Posts
Sorry to hear of this but thank you for the post. Hope you find the Jerks.

·
Administrator
21,442 Posts
I have zero patience for thieves.... I hope you get them back in good condition.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
39,612 Posts
Why not post up the ID numbers of the stolen equipment? Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
To add to the tips.

When talking to someone about the item for sale have them show you how things work. Asking a somewhat technical question will help pick out the crooks as well. I can't think of any one that owns a piece of equipment that does not how to check the oil level and where the dipstick is. If someone can't answer questions like that they are just trying to dump a stolen item.

We would used this technique when evaluating trading at the guitar store I worked at. When a guy comes in with a 59 Les Paul and only wants $200.00 asking him to play it for you and he can't filters out the bad guys real quick.

Sent from my iPhone

1 - 5 of 5 Posts