Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to tractor ownership. I have a 1023e that came along with a house purchase. Still getting to know the tractor but have done an oil/filter change, blade sharpening, and other routine maintenance tasks. I'm assuming that the "covers" on the rear wheels are wheel weights, correct??? I've seen videos about how they go on and come off but haven't had any reason to try and remove them. Is there any way to tell if the rear tires, and front tires I'm guessing, also contain liquid ballast without trying to bleed them off to see? Don't have any records from previous owner that indicates either way. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
1,904 Posts
Nice toy to come with the house! How many hours?
Please take some time to learn about rear ballast as I do see a loader, but no ballast in the pic. - The wheel weights are not enough.

Reactions: Mackford13

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
The weights on that machine is a plastic shell with 50lbs of cement inside. There are also 72 lb cast iron starter weights and 50 lb cast iron weights. They can be stacked on the wheels with very long bolts. The plastic one you have is not stackable.
You should remove your weight sometime to check your wheel bolts as a preventative maintenance item. They can loosen up over time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice toy to come with the house! How many hours?
Please take some time to learn about rear ballast as I do see a loader, but no ballast in the pic. - The wheel weights are not enough.
Only had 215 hours on it and is a 2014. I have used the loader for snow and sand and never came close to having an issue with the loader pulling it down forward.

·
Registered
598 Posts
You could take the wheel off and weigh it. Should be able to figure out if it's filled by whether or not the total is too high for just the wheel and weight you see.

Easier way is to leave the valve stem below the 3 o'clock position and depress the core momentarily. If anything comes out they are filled. I doubt they are.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Only had 215 hours on it and is a 2014. I have used the loader for snow and sand and never came close to having an issue with the loader pulling it down forward.
Glad you ain't had an issue yet. But FYI the front axle is on a pivot so if you ever do manage to pull the rear wheels off the ground, expect the tractor to roll sideways as well. Picture standing a tricycle up on it's front wheel and you'll get the picture.

Ballast not only helps prevent rollovers but also counterbalances whatever weight is in your FEL bucket off the front axle, which helps avoid damaging it.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
That was nice of the previous owners to throw that in. Looks like a nice looking tractor & well taken care of. But as already mentioned you do need some kind of rear ballast to operate your loader safely, whether it be a Heavy Hitch with suitcase weights or a ballast box. Your rear wheel weights are not enough.

Reactions: keane

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I agree, get a ballast box if you want the cheapest counterbalance. On my previous tractor, a Kubota BX, which is roughly the size of your tractor, I just had filled tires for years. I was surprised how much better it felt with a ballast box. When carrying a heavy load in the bucket there is just a lot less rocking back and forth and much safer.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Congratulations on the new place and tractor. +1 on rear ballast. Have seen photos on the site upset about the poor quality of front rims because theres cracked. Yup no rear ballast. They were over weight on the front axle.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I thought my backhoe would be plenty of ballast. I was testing my SSQA and bucket out, and with a full bucket of gravel or dirt, I got the feeling that I still didn't have enough ballast.
Although I did have the backhoe swung 90 over so the combination is as short as possible. I should put the backhoe straight back and maybe get a scoop of gravel in that and see how it feels.

This is a 4700 with some non-standard bucket (about 70 inch wide) on 460 loader.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts