Green Tractor Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased these chain adjusters a while ago for my new tire chains. When installing them last week I found them to be much to large for my application. I have exceeded the return time frame plus don't want to be charged a restocking fee anyway.

Here are the adjusters that I bought from tirechains.com:

Truck Spring* Tensioner Adjuster

Following their size guidelines, it says for 17" or larger tires. Plus somewhere else I found that for sizing they will work on overall tire size of 33" or larger - my tires measure 35".

So I would like to send them off to someone who can put them to use. All I ask is that you pay the shipping. They fit in a medium USPS Flat Rate Box which would cost $11.30. If you live closer to Penna I will see if regular Priority Mail will be less expensive.

Untitled by sterling2424, on Flickr

Untitled by sterling2424, on Flickr

·
Registered
365 Posts
Coaltrain,

I am glad to see that I was not the only one who made the exact same mistake wiith the same chain tighteners. What I did was shorten the chain quite a bit to make the tighteners fit my tractor.

I am not interested in taking the tighteners off of your hands, but they are really great quality whomever winds up with them. I admit that I may have used screen door springs and bungee cords for tighteners until I bought these.

·
Premium Member
13,949 Posts
Coaltrain,

I am glad to see that I was not the only one who made the exact same mistake wiith the same chain tighteners. What I did was shorten the chain quite a bit to make the tighteners fit my tractor.

I am not interested in taking the tighteners off of your hands, but they are really great quality whomever winds up with them. I admit that I may have used screen door springs and bungee cords for tighteners until I bought these.
Jeff R ,, I was thinking the same thing to remove enough l chain links so he could still use the tightener.

·
Registered
21,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem for me was the springs themselves would meet at the center - no room left to pull any tension. I hope that makes sense.

Without going out to measure the chains on my tires right now - the springs are 7" long - so if the diameter of the circle of my outside chain is say 15" - there is nothing left to pull tight - the bottom of the springs meet.

·
Premium Member
13,949 Posts
The problem for me was the springs themselves would meet at the center - no room left to pull any tension. I hope that makes sense.

Without going out to measure the chains on my tires right now - the springs are 7" long - so if the diameter of the circle of my outside chain is say 15" - there is nothing left to pull tight - the bottom of the springs meet.
Yea if the springs meet the center ,just might be tooooooooo BIG.

·
Super Moderator
7,881 Posts
Coaltrain,

I just received a set of Aquiline chains in today for my 3320. I'm thinking I may be able to take these tensioners off your hands IF they're still available. I'll probably fit the chains tonight and will measure the diameter of the outside chain to determine whether they'll work for me. If so I'll let you know.

Best regards,
Frank

·
Administrator
20,285 Posts
I'm thinking you guys settled on something, so I'll close this thread.:good2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.