Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new set of tire chains this yr. they now have some rust as expected I would like to keep them in decent shape . I have herd of storing them in a bucket with oil and sand or just oil . How do you store yours ??:dunno::dunno::munch:

·
Premium Member
13,672 Posts
I assume the chains are for your garden tractor pictured in your Avatar. Don't worry too much about the rust, it is probably just a bit of surface rust. While you could spray or coat them with oil they are really going to be messy when you go to put them back on.

My 2720 uses garden tractor sized chains on the front tires and I keep them hanging from some pegs in the garage so they don't get all twisted and tangled. The rear tire chains are 3/8" and each one weighs about 80+ lbs. I keep those in 5 gallon buckets. Both my front and rear chains has a bit of surface rust on them which cleans right off the first time I clear snow the following winter.

·
Registered
23,621 Posts
I hang my chiains up and spray them down with Fluid Film. It is a chore like jgayman said - it’s takes 2 of us with me on a step ladder to do it.

The only thing about keeping them in a bucket is the possibility of them getting tangled. I know my luck - I can roll up an extension cord all nice and neat and it will still get knotted somehow.....

·
Super Moderator
5,709 Posts
I hang my chiains up and spray them down with Fluid Film. It is a chore like jgayman said - it’s takes 2 of us with me on a step ladder to do it.

The only thing about keeping them in a bucket is the possibility of them getting tangled. I know my luck - I can roll up an extension cord all nice and neat and it will still get knotted somehow.....
IMO, regardless of their size, hanging them is probably the best way. I've never oiled mine either. I just mark the wall which side is right and left. In my case anyway. The chains aren't exactly identical, and I also mark how many links both inner and outer get per side. I'm still lucky I can hang mine with a 3 step stool without help.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I toss them back in the bag they came in, and slide them under the workbench in the barn:hide:

·
Premium Member
13,672 Posts
IMO, regardless of their size, hanging them is probably the best way. I've never oiled mine either. I just mark the wall which side is right and left. In my case anyway. The chains aren't exactly identical, and I also mark how many links both inner and outer get per side. I'm still lucky I can hang mine with a 3 step stool without help.
I store mine marked left/right as well but I eliminated the "which link" guessing game by cutting off the extra links once they were adjusted. Now all four chains simply latch to the last link.

·
Registered
23,621 Posts
I store mine marked left/right as well but I eliminated the "which link" guessing game by cutting off the extra links once they were adjusted. Now all four chains simply latch to the last link.
Mine are long - I think my tires are at the low end range of sizes they will work on. When I install them I am on the tightest link before getting to a cross bar. With my chains they are an X pattern and not a simple job at all to take some out.

But they work fine - just have a lot of extra links dangling to deal with which I use heavy cable ties for. I am afraid to cut off any being my tires are about 1/2 worn. If it ever comes to the day that I have to buy rear tires they wouldn't be long enough.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Rust? I do not worry about rust!!

A local surplus shop always has spray paint for a dollar a can,,

This set got painted dark brown

I thought everyone had a tire chain rust remover?? :dunno:

:laugh:

·
Registered
10,540 Posts
On a nail in a wall stud. Rust really doesn’t bother me, but fluid film would be easy to spray on.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Remove from tractor, tape side chain connectors to end links, drop in plastic Tidy Cats bucket, douse with WD40, put on lid, mark which tractor they go on, enjoy redwing blackbird songs... E-Z.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
5,144 Posts
I enjoyed reading all your comments on tire chain storage. I don't have them for the 1026R but have thought about it from time to time. I do have them on our x370 Lawn Tractor and they stay on year round as they're needed for the slopes we have.

I do have a choke chain left over from my wood cutting days. I use from time to time with the 1026R and have thought about spraying it with a little lubricant and storing it in a cloth bag . . . like a banks' money bag or small flour sack. The bag would absorb the lube so the chain wouldn't be real messy when removed. In time you wouldn't have to spray the chain as the bag would be oily enough. The bag could be stored in a small plastic container under the work bench so no oily mess on the floor or shelf.

Just some thoughts . . .

·
Registered
23,621 Posts
I enjoyed reading all your comments on tire chain storage. I don't have them for the 1026R but have thought about it from time to time. I do have them on our x370 Lawn Tractor and they stay on year round as they're needed for the slopes we have.

I do have a choke chain left over from my wood cutting days. I use from time to time with the 1026R and have thought about spraying it with a little lubricant and storing it in a cloth bag . . . like a banks' money bag or small flour sack. The bag would absorb the lube so the chain wouldn't be real messy when removed. In time you wouldn't have to spray the chain as the bag would be oily enough. The bag could be stored in a small plastic container under the work bench so no oily mess on the floor or shelf.

Just some thoughts . . .
Chains, if used, are going to get rusty - it is what it is. I have a bunch of transport tie down chains (5/16 & 3/8) that I have hanging from nails in the barn. They are rusty and I don’t really care.

I’ve pretty much have gone to using straps now for everything - can’t heft those heavy chains around any more.

·
Premium Member
13,672 Posts
Chains, if used, are going to get rusty - it is what it is. I have a bunch of transport tie down chains (5/16 & 3/8) that I have hanging from nails in the barn. They are rusty and I don’t really care.
Same here, surface rust on a chain is of no concern. Back when I had my Ford 9N I bought a used set of tire chains from an old farmer. They were rusty when I bought them and 25 years later they were still rusty when I sold the tractor.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
On my 420 I left them on year round. I figured it helped arreate the ground. Now with my 1025r I never use them. Saw the 420 at my sons house Sunday and the chains are still on it.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Storing Chains

Oh come on Fellas. I store them on the rear tires year round. No fuss no muss when winter rolls around and in the summer if you are in a wet spot no pulling in the 4 x 4 unless a bog.
Never hurts to have more traction than you need. Sucks if you don't have it though and need it!:laugh:

Reactions: HydroHarold

·
Premium Member
13,672 Posts
Oh come on Fellas. I store them on the rear tires year round. No fuss no muss when winter rolls around and in the summer if you are in a wet spot no pulling in the 4 x 4 unless a bog.
Never hurts to have more traction than you need. Sucks if you don't have it though and need it!:laugh:
I'm with you there! Twice a year when I wrestle my 80 lb monsters on/off each tire I tell myself the smart thing would be to leave them on permanently.

·
Registered
23,621 Posts
I'm with you there! Twice a year when I wrestle my 80 lb monsters on/off each tire I tell myself the smart thing would be to leave them on permanently.
But as difficult as they are to deal with the amount of confidence they give me in the dead of winter makes it worth it.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
But as difficult as they are to deal with the amount of confidence they give me in the dead of winter makes it worth it.
...hummm.... So I see a niche market for rubber treads that will temporarily attach over permanently attached chains... (Note to Shoddy Industries)
:laugh:

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
The JD chains i bought a few years back are galv/plated so they really don't rust. Except maybe a little surface rust on the links that hit the road. They aren't real heavy and get hung on a big nail on garage wall.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Storing chains

In the fire department, we would put them in a cloth bag with a thin coat of oil on them. Then we stored them under the work bench. They'd look like new each winter. That's the call you never wanted to hear in the middle of the night, time to chain up the rigs. We even had a set for all 4 wheels on a old Willy's Jeep we used for brush fires. That thing would go anywhere!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts