Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting some new shoes for the old F150.

I drive this truck 3-5 thousand miles a year. Occasionally tow a trailer and go on gravel roads.

Wondering what all you guys recommend for tire choices.

Not looking to spend a further but don’t want to go super cheap either.

I think it’s still on it Original pair of shoes and at 15 years old they are getting kinda dry rotted. Still have a good bit of tread left in them at 60000 miles though.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
I’ve had good luck with Cooper’s

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have bought truck tires, car tires and wheels, and horse trailer tires and wheels on line from www.tirerack.com.

Their web site ranks tires for your specific vehicle based on criteria you select such as price range, type, speed rating, and a lot of other factors you can pick. When you look at wheels you can also select the color of your vehicle, and their computer shows you pictures of your vehicle with various wheels and tires.

I just picked a F150 randomly simce I didn't have any specifics about yours, and several types of Cooper tires came up at or near the top of the recommended list.

You can have tires and/or wheels shipped by them to a local tire store who installs for them, or you can get them shipped to you already mounted and balanced with a wheel and tire package. I've done both, and no problems.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Cooper AT 3

·
Premium Member
14,101 Posts
Bought Mastercraft for years made-owned by Cooper

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
My winter wheels are Coopers and my summer wheels are Michelins..... Both provide good service but the Coopers make a lot more road noise due to the tread design. The Michelins are like riding on a cushion of air.... lol... literally...

Sincerely

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Looking for on road traction and long lasting (60K)= Firestone TransForce AT
All terrain and decent wear (50k) = Hankook Dyanpro ATM
Off road and decent wear (40K) = Goodyear DuraTrac

I've had all 3 on my F250, currently on DuraTracs. Will go back to them when these wear out, only time I've been stuck I ran out of ground clearance.

Cooper AT 3
You couldn't give me these tires. Buddy's chevy 2500 had them, under 10k miles on them, and had to lock in to 4x4 just to get going on wet grass. :banghead:

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,675 Posts
Looking for on road traction and long lasting (60K)= Firestone TransForce AT
All terrain and decent wear (50k) = Hankook Dyanpro ATM
Off road and decent wear (40K) = Goodyear DuraTrac

I've had all 3 on my F250, currently on DuraTracs. Will go back to them when these wear out, only time I've been stuck I ran out of ground clearance.

You couldn't give me these tires. Buddy's chevy 2500 had them, under 10k miles on them, and had to lock in to 4x4 just to get going on wet grass. :banghead:
Funny, I’ve had just the opposite. Maybe it’s just the bowtie.
I’ve had all the tires you listed above plus a few others, Bridgestone for one.
So far I have zero issues with the Coopers and they are wearing better that the Goodyear tires, and much better than the Hankook.

YMMV, literally. Tires are just one piece of the mileage puzzle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
309 Posts
I've been happy with the BF Goodrich Long Trail or Rugged Trail tires on tacomas and F-150s. The BF Goodrich KO2 is a good tire for trucks too and a little more agrressive. They're not cheap, though. Michelin defenders have worked well on the wife's explorer. Also not cheap. Tires are one of the most important parts of any vehicle. They should be the only part that touches the road. ;)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Funny, I’ve had just the opposite. Maybe it’s just the bowtie.
I’ve had all the tires you listed above plus a few others, Bridgestone for one.
So far I have zero issues with the Coopers and they are wearing better that the Goodyear tires, and much better than the Hankook.

YMMV, literally. Tires are just one piece of the mileage puzzle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You got more miles on the duratracs than hankook ATMs.? Wow that's amazing.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Michelin is all I buy. Father was a trucker and pulled a 35ft travel trailer with his Ford F-250 and he was a stickler for Michelin tires. He would buy new tires then I would take his old ones and run them 40,000 more miles. My wife's Yukon has Michelins on it now. Just put asset on my E350 van three months ago. I'm sold.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Thinking about getting some new shoes for the old F150.

I drive this truck 3-5 thousand miles a year. Occasionally tow a trailer and go on gravel roads.

Wondering what all you guys recommend for tire choices.

Not looking to spend a further but don’t want to go super cheap either.

I think it’s still on it Original pair of shoes and at 15 years old they are getting kinda dry rotted. Still have a good bit of tread left in them at 60000 miles though.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Try Generals. Have had Goodyear junk, had firestone, ok but not great, michilines ok but not great. Never had coopers.
Not that I have run Generals on my former f250, but have had a set of summers and winters on my Passat tdi, that are wearing like iron. 30 plus thousand on the winters and they prolly could go another 30k.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts