Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would pass on an idea that I saw on a tractor owned by someone I was buying parts from. I told him that's a great idea and that I would use it.
If you are as old as I am, can't remember the correct tire pressure for your lawn tractor, and have a hard time getting down on the ground and getting your bifocals in the right spot to read the pressure on the sidewall, just write the correct tire pressure on the rim with a Sharpie - always there, easy to read.

·
Premium Member
11,324 Posts
I do this for both tire pressures, and for bolt head sizes, so I don’t waste time back and forth to my workshop because I need a different socket.
Yep... same here. Marking the bolt head sizes can be a HUGE time saver, especially if you are like me and carry over six sockets and still don't have the right size. On all my small engines I also write on the side with a sharpie the spark plug type, gap and how many ounces of oil the crankcase holds.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Nothing like bringing a two year old thread back to life.

You’re wearing out the Sharpies. How about a label maker to write all of this down and it will look much cleaner and like it was suppose to be there. Then again you’re increasing the sale of Sharpies.

·
Premium Member
12,863 Posts
Nothing like bringing a two year old thread back to life.
I like it when some older threads are pulled back to the top, these are some good ideas.

·
Registered
21,940 Posts
I don’t like the idea of markings all over my stuff. However I make notes in my manuals for stuff like this. Also made a chart that I hang in my shop with the various tires pressures and torque values for the vehicles and equipment.

And yes, I end up walking back and forth a couple times until I get the right size wrench. I just don’t work enough with tools to be able to guess anywhere near correctly.

Notes with dates, hours, mileage, etc. are done with notepad or similar in a folder in my PC and iPad.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
How about a label maker to write all of this down and it will look much cleaner and like it was suppose to be there.
I had utilized a Sharpie (permanent marker), but found it would fade, wear, or wash off (I do wash the tractor a couple of times a year) fairly quickly. So I made labels utilizing a Dymo label printer that I had purchased for labeling wires/cables. It has worked very well and has proven to be durable. You can change the font size to be fairly large, so I don't have an issue reading it when walking along the tractor.

I'll be home again in a few days and I'll try to remember to post photos and details about the label printer.

·
Registered
21,940 Posts
I had utilized a Sharpie (permanent marker), but found it would fade, wear, or wash off (I do wash the tractor a couple of times a year) fairly quickly. So I made labels utilizing a Dymo label printer that I had purchased for labeling wires/cables. It has worked very well and has proven to be durable. You can change the font size to be fairly large, so I don't have an issue reading it when walking along the tractor.

I'll be home again in a few days and I'll try to remember to post photos and details about the label printer.
I bought a cheap label printer a few years ago. I surprised myself how much I use it. I labelled my tool chest drawers, breaker box, and a bunch of other stuff. Just a simple thing, but the black text on the white label makes it easy for me to see.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I use the labels when I change the fluids and filters. I stick the printed labels on the inside of the cab windows so I can be reminded when I did the change. The small labels makers are very cheap nowadays and you can buy white or clear plastic labels to use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts