Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 5x8 landscape trailer with 13 inch rims I have a new spare 14 inch rim with 205/?75/14 I wonder if i should buy one more tire and rim to have a set and replace the 13 inch tires/rims with the bigger 14 inch tires/rims It is same bolt pattern and i can adjust the fenders I think will look better Now is there a negative side?

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,468 Posts
I'd go with the 14" tires, as long as they don't contact the fenders while the trailer is loaded.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Get the highest weight rated tires you can find.
I'm not a big fan of Carlisle tires.

Reactions: danmorea

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i will keep the old 13 inch tire/rims if i will switch to 14 inch tire/rims to give them a try I am just wonder how the trailer will act-ride,load on axle ?2200lbs Right now empty is a bit "jumpy" and it serve me well when i load it with a full skid of topsoil,concrete,mulch

·
Registered
754 Posts
The 14 inch tire will raise the bed maybe an inch or so.

Be very careful when you load it with a "full skid of topsoil, concrete, mulch". I've lost track of how many of those light duty trailers I've seen abandoned on the side of the road with a broken axle or spindle from being way over loaded. It's been something over a dozen. Do not exceed your recommended maximum load rating.

The trailer seems " jumpy" for the same reason basketballs bounce. A larger diameter tire may help reduce that jumpyness a bit, but don't expect much. The larger diameter wheel/tire will put more of a bending moment on the spindle and axle, but since the new tire/wheel is very little bigger there won't be much more added stress.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts