Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need a tube for a leaky front tire on my GX345. Is there a specific tube anyone has had good luck with? I've purchased some before and because the valve stem was in the center they only last a season. Or is that how tubes are with the valve stem in the center? There's about a dozen on amazon so having trouble deciding

·
Registered
570 Posts
Straight valve stem inner tubes are not meant for use on a riding mower/garden tractor application. There are what they call bent valve stem tubes for this.
Like this image.
parallel_tube.jpg

·
Registered
534 Posts
DB, I've never paid attention to stem location. Thinking that when stem is placed in rim and inflated, tube will inflate around stem. I usually buy from Rural King or Tractor Supply. If I don't like it...for what ever reason...I can take it back and exchange it on the same day...no shipping back and trying another. Bob

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I always preferred the type with a nut on the stem to keep it where it is. I never use those though, what I get is a tube from the local tire store, Deere dealer, Rural King or Menards.
They all seem to work the same for me.

The thing is, you need to be sure the tire is clean inside, and that the wheel itself doesnt have any burrs that can puncture or tear the tube as it moves inside the assembly.
Ive only ever had issues when I didnt take my own advice.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I've always used the Carlisle brand. Just a regular rubber stem. We install hundreds a year with no issues other than once in a while one will get pinched by a tire tool.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the tube I had before that failed was run very low all the time and that’s what cut the valve stem. Not sure tho it wasn’t my mower it was my aunts.

So are all tubes center stems? Or are the one suggested side stems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I think the tube I had before that failed was run very low all the time and that’s what cut the valve stem. Not sure tho it wasn’t my mower it was my aunts.

So are all tubes center stems? Or are the one suggested side stems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ive not seen a tube with an offset stem mounting location.
That would be nice though. Generally I have to put the tube in, then hold it with something, generally a finger pressing it against the rim, while I air it up for it to stay put.
Usually after a while, they will stay put on their own.

One reason I DONT like those bent valve stems is that when the tube inflates, it presses that part against the rim and can cause it to angle away from where you want it. Sometimes making it VERY difficult to add air later.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Ive not seen a tube with an offset stem mounting location.
That would be nice though. Generally I have to put the tube in, then hold it with something, generally a finger pressing it against the rim, while I air it up for it to stay put.
Usually after a while, they will stay put on their own.
Last few tubes I bought from Tractor Supply were for my tow behind trailer and my wheel barrow. I could have sworn the stems were "slightly" off-center, not by much, but definitely tended to one side. Or maybe I was dreaming :dunno:

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Last few tubes I bought from Tractor Supply were for my tow behind trailer and my wheel barrow. I could have sworn the stems were "slightly" off-center, not by much, but definitely tended to one side. Or maybe I was dreaming :dunno:

Just my 2 cents.
Could be I suppose. Maybe thats why I have to hold the stem in place, because I wasnt paying attention, lol.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input! I thought I was buying the wrong tubes because none of them had offset stems lol. Ok that makes buying one alot easier.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Tube

I'm going the other way. I would never use a tube to fix the problem I would just plug the tire. Over the years have done it many times. Fix a leak in 2 minutes. If you get a hole in a tube your taking it all apart to patch the tube or replacing the tube. A plug kit about $10 fix tires forever.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I'm going the other way. I would never use a tube to fix the problem I would just plug the tire. Over the years have done it many times. Fix a leak in 2 minutes. If you get a hole in a tube your taking it all apart to patch the tube or replacing the tube. A plug kit about $10 fix tires forever.
If thats the problem, your solution works fine, and what a lot of people do too.
On my 318, the V61s wont seal on the wheels due to a difference in bead size between the Deere wheels and the wheel intended for use with the tire, and they dont seal well without a tube.
On my Exmark, the bead of one of the fronts is pitted, and the tire itself has a bunch of crud on it from some type of liquid flat repair that scraping doesnt do much too.
On my old 80 cart, the tires were so dry rotted they wouldnt hold air. Tubes held for 30 years, and still worked fine when I replaced the tires, though they no longer have tubes since the tires are good.

Point being, there are times that tubes are a much better option than plugs...because there are a lot of times plugs dont fix the problem.

Tubes have downsides too, one big one being they let water into the wheel around the valve stem.
Not a fan of that at all, but as I said, sometimes its necessary.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts