Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to put one of those split system Air conditioners in my garage. I need a cool place to do work as this summer sucks the life out of you. As I need to do the yearly maintenance on my wife's golf cart and a bunch of other things.

rob

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
Been excessive to say the least here also. Garage is a sauna in the afternoons. Glad I got a canopy as a sunshade but still hot out. I need to do my 400 hr service and I’m at 406 waiting for a cooler day. This weekend looks like 70’s but we’ll see

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
When our house was built I had them finish the garage same as the house. Same insulation values and ducts added from the central air and heat.

I failed to have a insulated garage door installed. One of these days I'm going to insulate and seal that metal heat generator.

The ducts are at the extreme end of the conditioned air so it's not as cool as the rest of the house. When I am working long I open the utility room door and put a fan in front of it to suck some of the air out of the house into the garage.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Just installed a mini split system from home depot for a friend in his shop. It is a GREE 3 ton unit with 2 heads and he got it from Home Depot for $2,500. Contractors wanted 6k to do the install but we did it for only the material costs. It works just fine!

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I've been using a split air system in my shop for years. Even here in the North Texas, heat it will keep the temps comfortable inside. My shop is only insulated on one wall and I did install an insulation kit on the 8'x18' garage door. I do believe that helps both in the summer and in the winter. My split does have the heat pump as well so winters are better also. On the 100 degree days temps in the shop will get up to 79 but that is still better that 100. I've been told it is better to leave the unit running much like your home ac and not force it to play catch up everyday. Very pleased with it after at least 10 years. If we ever move I would do the same thing all over but I would insulate garage completely.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts

I got one of these a couple of years ago, like a giant dehumidifier but it vents out a window so it’s an a.c. unit. It keeps my 28x30 shop below 80 degrees day when it’s really hot out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.