Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone have suggestions or options for allowing the use of skid steer attachments on their JD loaders? I am very happy with my Deere but I'm tired of wanting the attachments I see locally for sale at excellent prices but obviously can't use. I have looked at aftermarket adapter plates but have no experiences with them. I don't know which are good and which may be junk. Are there any negative results from using the adapters? One of the issues I have is when I'm ready to buy something then by gosh I want to get in my truck and go get it. My local dealer is great but when it comes to attachments on the fel all I get is "we don't have it but can order it for you". I understand not wanting to have the overhead for items that might sit on the lot awhile for sale but finding skid steer attachments locally is easily done.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Without specifics on what adapters your considering it's hard to speculate on possible pros and cons, though as far as use goes-once pinned and clamped down I don't see much to go physically wrong...

Artillian has a blank JDQA frame you could mount skid steer type attachment points on and have a relatively stable, strong and lightweight adapter to use.

·
Administrator
18,282 Posts
Adapter plates may be cheaper, but they add needless weight and move the attachment out further reducing your lifting power ever more-plus they add more "slop" to the system.

JD sells the parts to convert the 300cx to SSQA, # BW15244, not sure what it would take to get it on your 300x though.

John Deere SKID STEER ATTACHMNT CARRIE BW15244

300cx.jpg

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I have the JD SSQA adapter on my H180 loader for my 4066R. It was taken off a 400X loader that was previously on a 4720. I do not know how it would work on a CX loader. Once you have the SSQA adapter, you will wonder why you waited so long. Attachments are so plentiful for SSQA and most of the competitive tractors already use SSQA so you can also use their attachments. Also they are cheaper. Anything that fits a skid steer will then fit your tractor.

Dave

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Adapter plates may be cheaper, but they add needless weight and move the attachment out further reducing your lifting power ever more-plus they add more "slop" to the system.

JD sells the parts to convert the 300cx to SSQA, # BW15244, not sure what it would take to get it on your 300x though.

John Deere SKID STEER ATTACHMNT CARRIE BW15244

View attachment 328658
I anticipated the additional weight and for 90% of what my loader is used for I'm fine with loosing some capacity. What I didn't think about was additional "slop". This is something I do not want at all and is the information I was wanting when posting this thread. I saw the conversion parts through JD, is there any other companies producing a conversion for JD loaders?

Reactions: Levi and BigJim55

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the JD SSQA adapter on my H180 loader for my 4066R. It was taken off a 400X loader that was previously on a 4720. I do not know how it would work on a CX loader. Once you have the SSQA adapter, you will wonder why you waited so long. Attachments are so plentiful for SSQA and most of the competitive tractors already use SSQA so you can also use their attachments. Also they are cheaper. Anything that fits a skid steer will then fit your tractor.

Dave
For the reasons you mentioned I am ready to do something ASAP to make my loader work with skid steer attachments. I do not want something that is weak or as Ken mentioned "sloppy" and for this reason it has taken the appeal away from the adapters I have been looking at. I'm not complaining about the John Deere setup, it's a great setup. I'm complaining about the availability of attachments in my local area for both new and used JD/frontier loader attachments. Yes the skid steer attachments are cheaper but the biggest reasoning I'm wanting to make my loader accept them is for the fact that skid steer attachments are easily available plus there are far more options for different attachments.

·
Administrator
18,282 Posts
OK...so lets go at this a different way, please indulge me :laugh:

What attachments that will work on a SSL (skid steer loader) will also work well on a compact tractors loader? There are really only three IMO, a bucket, forks, and a lightweight grapple-all of which is readily available in the JDQA format.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
OK...so lets go at this a different way, please indulge me :laugh:

What attachments that will work on a SSL (skid steer loader) will also work well on a compact tractors loader? There are really only three IMO, a bucket, forks, and a lightweight grapple-all of which is readily available in the JDQA format.
Yup you already said it for me, buckets, blades, grapples and forks. Like you said there's only so much that can be done with a compact tractor loader. I scour the local classifieds and regularly finding forks (which are pretty much the same as any other, just forks) but I'm finding grapples of different configurations really easy and hate to say it, much cheaper than those I have looked at online for a JD. Plus I have already went and seen them with my own eyes and that's not something I have been able to do with JD attachments. I accumulate hours/wear fairly quick and trade tractors somewhat often so I am trying to plan ahead in terms of not limiting myself to attachments that will only work with a JD loader. I like my Deere a lot and most likely will purchase another Deere but it's possible that I will not. It may not make sense to many on here but in my mind I'm trying to get implements and attachments that will be universal across other machines/brands. I do not want to end up with another brand down the road and try selling my current Deere with everything I have accumulated for it as a package which doesn't work out well often as buyers will only want the tractor and certain implements (been there and done that numerous times) leaving me with some attachments that I'm trying to sell separately. I may be wrong but it seems like it would make most sense to make my current loader accept SS attachments and buy what I'm needing now for attachments and have them for however long they last me into the future regardless of what I use them on. I have been looking at some smaller open station tractors recently to fill a gap that the 3520 with cab as created. Over the weekend I looked at a small skid steer and it's got my mind going in another direction. It would be a very nice bonus to have attachments that could be used on the tractor or skid steer if I choose to go with one in the near future as well.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Not sure this will help but I just rented a 319E skid steer and I was reminded of why I don't like FELs for skid steer type work: hydraulics are too slow, can't properly see the front of the bucket, can't easily tell when the bucket is level and the overall tractor/FEL length makes maneuvering difficult. The versatility of the skid steer attachments are awesome for the skid steer but not so much for the tractor. My main use was brush cutting some pretty rough terrain and the skid steer was the only option. And if I still has my 4320, I would feel the same way.

If I didn't have fields to maintain, I would be very tempted to go with only a skid steer as my primary vehicle because of the attachment versitility that is now available. It would still be JD yellow though.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
From a quick Google search it looks like your 3520 and 300X loader can lift about 1340#. That's not a lot. I think a lot of skid steer attachments, like pallet forks are built heavy duty for much higher capacities and will therefore reduce your actual usable capacity a lot. You say you don't need it, but even if you don't, just how much would you really be saving? There are quite a few mid-range JDQA pallet forks out there that weigh about 300-350 and cost under $600 new. Is it really worth losing a fair amount of lift capacity to save $100-200 (using pallet forks as an example, but other things are likely similar)?

Also, anything you find for SSQA that has hydraulics will likely have skid steer hydraulic connectors on it. While I'm no expert on skid steer hydraulics, every one I've seen in the last 10 years has had different hydraulic connectors than the JD compact tractors I've seen. That will cost you money to retrofit. Plus, and I don't have any idea on the answer, but is your tractor's hydraulic pump on par with the power/flow of a typical skid steer? Some of those hydraulic accessories might not even work with your tractor. Or maybe they will. But you should investigate that.

Rob

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
From a quick Google search it looks like your 3520 and 300X loader can lift about 1340#. That's not a lot. I think a lot of skid steer attachments, like pallet forks are built heavy duty for much higher capacities and will therefore reduce your actual usable capacity a lot. You say you don't need it, but even if you don't, just how much would you really be saving? There are quite a few mid-range JDQA pallet forks out there that weigh about 300-350 and cost under $600 new. Is it really worth losing a fair amount of lift capacity to save $100-200 (using pallet forks as an example, but other things are likely similar)?

Also, anything you find for SSQA that has hydraulics will likely have skid steer hydraulic connectors on it. While I'm no expert on skid steer hydraulics, every one I've seen in the last 10 years has had different hydraulic connectors than the JD compact tractors I've seen. That will cost you money to retrofit. Plus, and I don't have any idea on the answer, but is your tractor's hydraulic pump on par with the power/flow of a typical skid steer? Some of those hydraulic accessories might not even work with your tractor. Or maybe they will. But you should investigate that.

Rob
I appreciate your reply, I am not planning on ever running anything hydraulic other than a grapple cylinder on both the tractor and possible SS I looked at. I will never be running a bushhog, auger, trencher, or other hydraulic attachments from the fel of any tractor. The SS I am interested in is a little feller and the capacity of it and the attachments im wanting will fall within spec for my tractor. The tractor may even out perform it on some specs. My whole reasoning for this is not just saving money now. It's about saving money over and over again if I choose another brand down the road. Plus, like I mentioned when I asked for opinions and comments. When I'm ready to spend money, I want to get into my truck and go put my eyes and hands on it. If it works for me then purchase it. With JD I am stuck looking at pictures and spec sheets then ordering. There is nothing wrong with that but when I can purchase ssl attachments at multiple local locations plus save money, I like that. I would spend double the expense now to have something that I can carry over from one tractor to another and onto a SS than buy attachments that keep me solely with JD or having to sell later and purchase the items I'm wanting all over again. The tractor fulfills most all my work needs but I have been looking for a smaller tractor to pick up some slack that has resorted to me going back to hand tools and wheel barrels. I'm needing something smaller to fit into very confined areas and up extremely close to structures. The SS I looked at seems to be a better choice for those times. Hauling a tractor and skid steer every where I go isn't practical either. I'm not trying to talk myself or anyone else into my line of thinking. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong and want to know it before making some poor choices. If there is a solid option to make ssl attachments work on my tractor and it appears to be the logical choice, then I'm in for that! Again I am very happy with JD. This has nothing to do with being unhappy with my tractor. Based on the tractors I looked at during the farm show, JD is top of the line IMO. I have no intentions to stray away from green but I do put hours on tractors quick and although I wished it would last me a lifetime, it nor any other color compact tractor will do so at this point for me. It's possible another brand could enter the picture some day. It's very possible a small skid steer will enter as well, I'm merely trying to make a good choice for now and later.

·
Administrator
18,282 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I appreciate your reply, I am not planning on ever running anything hydraulic other than a grapple cylinder on both the tractor and possible SS I looked at. I will never be running a bushhog, auger, trencher, or other hydraulic attachments from the fel of any tractor. The SS I am interested is a little feller and the capacity of it and the attachments im wanting will fall within spec for my tractor. The tractor may even out perform it on some specs. My whole reasoning for this is not just saving money now. It's about saving money over and over again if I choose another brand down the road. Plus, like I mentioned when I asked for opinions and comments. When I'm ready to spend money, I want to get into my truck and go put my eyes and hands on it. If it works for me then purchase it. With JD I am stuck looking at pictures and spec sheets then ordering. There is nothing wrong with that but when I can purchase ssl attachments at multiple local locations plus save money, I like that. I would spend double the expense to have something that I can carry over from one tractor to another and onto a SS than buy attachments that keep me solely with JD or having to sell later and purchase the items I'm wanting all over again. The tractor fulfills most all my work needs but I have been looking for a smaller tractor to pick up some slack that has resorted to me going back to hand tools and wheel barrels. I'm needing something smaller to fit into very confined areas and up extremely close to structures. The SS I looked at seems to be a better choice for those times. Hauling a tractor and skid steer every where I go isn't practical either. I'm not trying to talk myself or anyone else into my line of thinking. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong and want to know it before making some poor choices. If there is a solid option to make ssl attachments work on my tractor and it appears to be the logical choice, then I'm in for that! Again I am very happy with JD. This has nothing to do with being unhappy with my tractor. Based on the tractors I looked at during the farm show, JD is top of the line IMO. I have no intentions to stray away from green but I do put hours on tractors quick and although I wished it would last me a lifetime, it nor any other color compact tractor will do so at this point for me. It's possible another brand could enter the picture some day. It's very possible a small skid steer will enter as well, I'm merely trying to make a good choice for now and later.
Definitely makes sense. I was just offering another perspective in case that info changed your mind. My mind doesn't go to the 'will work for future tractors' path because the way I use them I'll probably have my units for 20+ years so to me they are 'final purchases'. :)

Rob

·
Registered
298 Posts
Go this route

Does anyone have suggestions or options for allowing the use of skid steer attachments on their JD loaders? I am very happy with my Deere but I'm tired of wanting the attachments I see locally for sale at excellent prices but obviously can't use. I have looked at aftermarket adapter plates but have no experiences with them. I don't know which are good and which may be junk. Are there any negative results from using the adapters? One of the issues I have is when I'm ready to buy something then by gosh I want to get in my truck and go get it. My local dealer is great but when it comes to attachments on the fel all I get is "we don't have it but can order it for you". I understand not wanting to have the overhead for items that might sit on the lot awhile for sale but finding skid steer attachments locally is easily done.
http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/implements-attachments/101794-skidsteer-bucket-mod.html

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Shawn, can you fabricate and weld?
An option like CADplans mentioned above, or the JD set if you can find one on eBay cheap.

This company sells some "universal" adapters, but they are not much cheaper that the JD ones: https://hayspear.com/skid-steer-quick-hitch-adapters-attachments/skid-steer-quick-hitch-adapters/

And this place too: Attachments Using Quick Attach System
I can fabricate one heck of a mess and tack weld it together. My fabricating and welding skill is about as good as my artistic ability, NONE.

Thank you for the links, this is exactly what I was hoping to see. I would rather spend good money and know I have something good than go cheap and know it's held together by my handy work. The adapter I had been looking at is sold through Titan. When you mentioned that adapters tend to have slop, with my luck anything I had found on my own would end up being the worse of them all.

Reactions: rtgt

·
Registered
610 Posts
I can fabricate one heck of a mess and tack weld it together. My fabricating and welding skill is about as good as my artistic ability, NONE.

Thank you for the links, this is exactly what I was hoping to see. I would rather spend good money and know I have something good than go cheap and know it's held together by my handy work. The adapter I had been looking at is sold through Titan. When you mentioned that adapters tend to have slop, with my luck anything I had found on my own would end up being the worse of them all.
I would think any slop in the system could be taken out with a couple drilled and tapped holes, and bolts. If you had a way to tighten the wiggle out of one set of the QA system you wouldn't be any worse off in that regard. There needs to be tolerances on one side or the other, but if you tightened either set up you should be fine.

Everything Attachments sells a full replacement: https://www.everythingattachments.com/Quick-Attach-Adapter-Plate-p/wrl-apum.htm

I have a friend talking about ordering a new 4k series, and he was going to get the skid loader attachments. My advice after looking in to when I bought was against it. The price at ordering is much more than an adapter plate, and having the adapter plate doubles your implement options. He wanted to borrow a friends skid loader log splitter occasionally, so he thought it would be best to have his bucket SSQA since he'd want to take both out in the woods and switch back and forth. I told him to get the adapter plate and leave it attached to the splitter when he wanted to do that. With a tractor, unless you get an aftermarket auto system, you still have to leave the seat to "QA".

Plus, I can borrow his adapter. :laugh:

·
Registered
108 Posts
There must be a skid steer junkyard,,, somewhere,,,:dunno:

Just get a SSQA off a skid steer,,,
cut a little,, weld a little,,,

I plan on doing the same thing to my fel!

Reactions: ky_shawn

·
Registered
515 Posts
I bought a global to SSQA from titan. The palletfork people. It works great. They might have an adapter that'll fit your tractor. It's for my grapple and was around $300 shipped

Brett

Reactions: ky_shawn

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bought a global to SSQA from titan. The palletfork people. It works great. They might have an adapter that'll fit your tractor. It's for my grapple and was around $300 shipped

Brett
I had been looking at the Titan adapter prior to posting this thread. How has it held up for you?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts