Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read through the responses on the other tire thread but didn’t want to hijack it. I recently acquired a 1985 Ford dually flatbed to haul feed, hay and pull a small livestock trailer for 4H animals. Maybe 3-5,000 miles per year. It currently has three different pairs of tires (235/85R16) on it, all of which are worn out. It’s a 2WD truck that will see minimal use during the winter, definitely not a daily driver. I’m looking for a highway tread tire that is reasonable cost, I hate to spend more on tires than I did buying the truck! Anyone have good experience with an off brand tire that you would recommend?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I just bought a set of Mastercraft for my son's Chevy 1/2 ton SRW 4x4 so far they are working out really nice. They are made by Cooper. Cooper also makes a nice tire from my experience but I tend to get mud/snow or off road since I have a 4x4 dually. The best high way dually tire I have ever owned was Michelin but the price was exorbitant.

I own a chevy 4x4 dually (2007) and cheap tires and dually do not necessarily go together. The factory tires were General's and were highway tread. I was able to get 37k out of them, which I thought was good since I can't rotate mine without a lot of work.

Since yours is 2WD the tires should be cheaper than mine but will still be painful to buy. I would check out Discount Tire and see what kind of Load Range E tires they have. They do have free shipping from their website if you don't have a store that is close by.

Just be careful with your shopping, if you go too cheap you will run into Chinese made tires. I discovered there are a lot of off shore cheap brands these days when I was shopping for my son's tires. I have never had real good luck with Chinese made trailer tires so I am not sure how well they make truck tires. I wasn't willing to find out with my son's truck since he is brand new driver and has enough challenges keeping it between the ditches!:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 69project. I’ve looked at the Discount Tire website, Tirerack, Big O, Amazon, etc. Everyone seems to carry a few brands at around $100/tire and then well known brands starting at $150 and up. I use Discount Tire often, they’ve always been great to deal with and have even fixed nails in tires not bought from them for free. I’ll be purchasing on the lower end of the price spectrum. The limited use and lack of miles they will see I can’t justify $1200 on tires that will probably dry rot before they’re worn out.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I have a 31ft gooseneck tandem dually flatbed trailer that I have had to buy a couple of tires for. The local shop has tires for around $200 each. That would be $1600 to replace all 8 tires. No way.... The trailer does not get used very much, but is necessary when I do need it. So, in talking with him, he also has cheap tires for a little over $100. I went that way. Still would be $800 for a full set. The tires will die of old age before I can wear them out, so it makes no sense to spend a lot of money on them. So far, they have been working out just fine. I think I bought the first one 4 years ago shortly after I bought the trailer when it was only 2 years old. The spare had a cut in the side, so I immediately had to buy a tire.

When I hooked on to the trailer to pull it home, I immediately discovered that the brakes did not work. Pulling a 31ft 7300# trailer home with no brakes was an exercise in patience. When checking it over, I found that the wires between the frame and the axle had all broke, because whoever replaced the brakes had left the wires too short to be able to flex with the axle. I had to add an extension to the wire. Then I found that one of the brakes would still not work, so I replaced the entire brake assembly. I weighed the brake drum and found it weighed 65#. Those are big brakes.

Dave

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
My brother in law was a millionaire,, many decades ago,,
ANY machine or trailer that received limited miles per year got used tires,,

So, I recommend checking locally,, spend half,, and get used tires that will last until they dry rot.

·
Registered
493 Posts
My brother in law was a millionaire,, many decades ago,,
ANY machine or trailer that received limited miles per year got used tires,,

So, I recommend checking locally,, spend half,, and get used tires that will last until they dry rot.
HUH ? You say the dumbest **** I have ever read .

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ve looked around for some used tires, it’s hard to find 6 matching and even harder to find them in good shape at a reasonable cost. The mounting and balancing costs are the same for used or new so that’s something to consider too.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I’ve looked around for some used tires, it’s hard to find 6 matching and even harder to find them in good shape at a reasonable cost. The mounting and balancing costs are the same for used or new so that’s something to consider too.
Look for combo wheels and tires, that's what I've always had the best luck finding. Since its a dually, I would look for 4 matching for the rear, then just never rotate them from to back...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Discount Tire gave me a good quote on Falken Wildpeak HT in a LT235/85R16. I know some folks on the Jeep forums have used Falken tires and given them good reviews. Anyone have any experience with them?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tires

You might want to consider checking out the Toyo Open Country AT II Xtreme Tires. It's an all terrain tire that handles well in mud, snow, and dirt but also drives smooth and quiet in highways.

·
Premium Member
7,701 Posts
Look for combo wheels and tires, that's what I've always had the best luck finding. Since its a dually, I would look for 4 matching for the rear, then just never rotate them from to back...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
It's my understanding for a dually, you never move/separate a rear pair, only swap form one side to the other. Also lots of duallys run different steering tires than drive tires.

·
Premium Member
7,701 Posts
Another option is take off tires. I see advertised 245-75R 16" tires. I think these must be OEM tires that custom shops upfit to larger tires/custom wheels.

·
Premium Member
7,701 Posts
Old Yeller will need new tires this coming winter. About 8 years ago I swapped on 17" Hummer wheels and used tires. Seems 17" Is the new standard for truck tires.

What I am considering is TreadWright, they are a tire remolder (retreader). They claim 70% recycled and 40% reduction in cost. Also less oil used to make than new tire. All sounds good to me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts