Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get all new tires for my JD B I just got. My question is if I might do some plowing with it what tires should I get that are reasonably priced? The tires that are on the B are 11.2-38 on rear and the fronts are 5.00-15.

·
Administrator
20,308 Posts
Reasonably priced and good working are almost two separate categories. There’s a lot of personal preference involved with this question.

Chains will work wonders for the rear regardless of tires. The fronts are almost along for the ride.

For me? I would do the Firestone field and road 22.5 degree rear tires with a tri-rib front tire. Not only does it look correct for the tractor, but they are a great performer.

That’s just my $.0000000002. Please take my opinion for what you paid. :drinks:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reasonably priced and good working are almost two separate categories. There’s a lot of personal preference involved with this question.

Chains will work wonders for the rear regardless of tires. The fronts are almost along for the ride.

For me? I would do the Firestone field and road 22.5 degree rear tires with a tri-rib front tire. Not only does it look correct for the tractor, but they are a great performer.

That’s just my $.0000000002. Please take my opinion for what you paid. :drinks:
Would the 11.2-38 be a good size or do I need to go a bit wider? I think my wheel measures about 8.5" where the bead sits eh

·
Administrator
20,308 Posts
For a B, yeah, I’d say that’s a good choice. :good2:

Again, my personal opinion. Chat with the guys around you locally and find out what works well there. They already know. If you don’t have this resource, then a good quality tire like I recommended is a great start.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Would the 11.2-38 be a good size or do I need to go a bit wider? I think my wheel measures about 8.5" where the bead sits eh
We have several B's all of them have 12.4's or equivalent on them. The old tire size 11-38 is equal to 12.4-38 in the new sizing.
The first pic is the old 11-38 original tires on our '45 B and the second is 12.4- 42 Firestone field and road on our '48 BN.

The parts book shows several tire options depending on what wheel/width it came with. I would check your wheel width and then decide on what tire size to go with.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts